What information sources do you use to research real estate?

I am keen to understand what information sources you use to research property. I am sure there's a abundance of information out there that I'm not aware of.

Personally I use:
Realestate.com.au (to peruse)
Council websites (for planning info)
State planning policy (for subdivision info)
Rpdata (for research)

Do many people use rpdata? I find it immensely powerful and couldn't live without it

Constantly. When I'm ready to buy I email my broker to send me reports on each of the properties that interest me and the advise him of the specific details I am after (e.g., 3 bed, 1 bath, 1 car 2 kms range etc.). E.g., in this years purchase I requested about 12-15 RPData Reports over weeks or months to get familiar with the numbers for the area(s). I'm sure most investors do this. I like the old listings website too.

When you find a specific property, it shows you how long it's been on the market, and the week by week price. It gives an indication of declines in pricing and the motivation of the seller to sell.

You can also do a search on the person, see what other properties they own, when they bought them, other properties they may have on the market, etc. More intelligence to use for negotiation...

In addition to the obvious real estate engines and the research groups (SQM, RPData, APM), I also like to follow demographic and infrastructure info websites - including the ABS, the relevant transport and planning departments, local councils, .id and blog.

When you find a specific property, it shows you how long it's been on the market, and the week by week price. It gives an indication of declines in pricing and the motivation of the seller to sell.

You can also do a search on the person, see what other properties they own, when they bought them, other properties they may have on the market, etc. More intelligence to use for negotiation...

I've not used rpdata before, but just to check - can you search by the owner's name (be it person or entity) and see a list of all properties they own, is that what you are saying? TIA

I never have used rpdata my self...

Looks interesting the more knowledge the more power! :D how does it work you have to pay for it? per anum or per property you would like to search... I would love to search a particular property on it :D

Thanks..

RPdata
RE websites (mainly realestate.com.au as that is biggest for WA)
Google (always google the address to see if anything interesting comes up)
Council (town planning and Intramaps)
Govt (Planning, Residential Design Codes)
Progress Association websites (google the area and find if there is one as they usually know about upcoming issues of interest)
GIS/Mapping sites
- Intramaps
- SLIP/Interragator https://www2.landgate.wa.gov.au/interragatorplus/
which was today's find as it's the only place I've been able to get 1:100 flood maps so far
- Landgate GIS https://www.landgate.wa.gov.au/bmvf/app/mapviewer/ which is good for locations that don't have Intramaps​

I do a lot online as I can do it after hours and on the comfort of my couch :) I can measure, spy, check zonings, more spying, find gossip (online forums with suburb goss), check rental yields, check comparable pricing blah blah blah

Back