What is your pet peeve?

I dislike the expression/word....'GOBSMACKED'

In some of the music talent shows on TV, the 'GIVE IT UP FOR..' (as in applause).....sick of that one.

And, finally, the overuse of the word 'HERO'

Just my 2 cents worth....oops, don't like that one, either...sorry :D

Since this has moved to "pet peeves in grammar, spelling and spoken English", here's mine:

"Would of", "could of", "should of", "must of" etc. (For those who write this and don't know why I dislike it, the correct use is "would have", which can be abbreviated to "would've".)

"Congradulations/congrads". (don't the red squiggly lines alert these people?)

"Hence why..." This is wrong.

Last edited:
Since this have moved to "pet peeves in grammar, spelling and spoken English", here's mine:

"Would of", "could of", "should of", "must of" etc. (For those who write this and don't know why I dislike it, the correct use is "would have", which can be abbreviated to "would've".)

"Congradulations/congrads". (don't the red squiggly lines alert these people?)

"Hence why..." This is wrong.

do you mean - this "has" ? :D

I believe the usage of "Would of", "could of", "should of", "must of" seems pretty Aussie. I had never heard of these prior to going to school here.

Mine is the "americanisation" of our language.

Yes, yes, a thousand times YES !!!

I wish to change mine to this as well.

We have a 'swear jar' on the fridge for the 4 most useless overused words to try, ever so fleetingly, to stem the massive tsunami of junk black American ghetto language completely drowning our Aussie kids.

Um
Whatever
Cool

It's a feeble hopeless cause.

To hear my daughter say "check out the ghetto on her" when walking down the street is disappointing. For those not up with young Aussie lingo, this means the girl has a big bum....as in 'black ghetto booty'....shortened to ghetto.

There are hundreds of examples of this. Our Australian vernacular is almost extinct. When you walk thru the primary school yard, you may as well be listening to a Pixar film.....this is all the culture the Ozzie kid's minds have been fed whilst dumped in front of the box.

Unfortunately they seem don't improve as they grow older. We've received applications for employment from 18 yr olds who cannot string a competent sentence together without peppering it with the word "like". They write just as they speak and think it is acceptable, even to the point of gross spelling errors.....

Suffice to say they all get dumped in the bin and ignored. They then have the hide to whinge because they have been ignored and didn't receive a courteous reply. Welcome to reality.....your teachers and parents aren't wiping your nose every step of the way any more.....and your precious little darling's safety and well being aren't our greatest concern !!!

In WA most people answer a question with .....'Yeah...nah' WHAT does that mean!

Hilarious thread....my pet peave is family telling you property is doomed forever and then they whinge when you're getting ahead (on paper) and they are still suck drawing equity out to go overseas, buy V8 Lancruiser etc etc ...sigh.

I remember seeing a recent show on TV where this bloke was interviewing various members of some of the many gangs in America.
One particular gang decided to remove a particular letter of the alphabet from their vocabulary. Not sure what the letter was, but if it were 'r' (as an example), the sentence 'The branch of the tree fell to the ground' would be replaced with 'The banch of the tee fell to the gound'.
And all members of this gang spoke this language quite fluently.
Imagine if this 'gang Americanisation' ever took hold in Austalia.:D

"One" of my pet peeves is my MIL saying to us each visit "I'd love to have the family over for a barbeque... but nobody would want to come, would they? The cousins hardly know each other. I want them to get together." She does it in her sing-song voice that makes my nose hairs curl.

We resort to our own stock answer now... "Just pick a date and ask everybody. Those who want to come will turn up."

It's like a bl00dy broken record. Funny thing is that her own four siblings (all in their 70s and 80s) are all bickering with each other and there are a lot of undercurrents and unspoken issues. Why does she think her own children (all in their 50s now) want to attend a family "love fest" when her own siblings don't get on :confused:.

Her grandchildren range from 31 to 16 and all they have in common is the fact that they are cousins. They see each other at weddings, birthdays etc. If they wanted to see each other more often, they are perfectly capable of arranging it themselves.

She wants "everything to be good, nice, friendly" and I want her to realise she cannot force relationships or make them better than they are.

** rant over **

Mine is the "americanisation" of our language.

QUOTE]

Yes. Also, the way (younger) men shake hands with each other these days. Call me weird, old fashioned (I'm not even 40 yet) but why must they contort their arms, finger dance, bang their chests together and slap one another's backs with the left hand when greeting each other? What IS that?

Another pet peeve of mine is listening to older people that I know tell me about how "well" they've done financially for themselves through "sheer hard work" but conveniently forgetting to mention the nice inheritance (sometimes more than one) or other large lump sums of money that have been handed to them NOT through investing. :rolleyes:

Drives me nuts being around anyone that doesn't look, behave, spell and talk like me... only joking!

I'm surprised that so many people are peeved off by things that don't directly affect them. I seriously couldn't care about any of that stuff unless I thought they were 'gangsters' and about to mug me :confused:.

Anyway, got stuck behind another IDIOT driver today - was doing 42km in a 60km zone AND they pulled over slightly into the bike lane allowing me 3/4 of a lane to overtake :confused::confused:.

Yes, yes, a thousand times YES !!!

I wish to change mine to this as well.

We have a 'swear jar' on the fridge for the 4 most useless overused words to try, ever so fleetingly, to stem the massive tsunami of junk black American ghetto language completely drowning our Aussie kids.

Um
Whatever
Cool

It's a feeble hopeless cause.

How are those words black slang? If anything, those particular words became popular due the blonde bimbo types.

There are hundreds of examples of this. Our Australian vernacular is almost extinct. When you walk thru the primary school yard, you may as well be listening to a Pixar film.....this is all the culture the Ozzie kid's minds have been fed whilst dumped in front of the box.

I think you mean British vernacular. A pet peeve of mine is people who act like Australia is so different to the US or UK (and much better too). Our contribution to popular culture is virtually zero - there is nothing in the way of music, arts, culture and the like which started in or is unique to Australia. Every genre of music that is popular in Australia comes from the US (and most from the African American population) as do many other things. The sooner people admit this, the better. We're too busy getting excited about digging rocks out of the ground to bother investing in or promoting/developing these areas.

I think you mean British vernacular. A pet peeve of mine is people who act like Australia is so different to the US or UK (and much better too). Our contribution to popular culture is virtually zero - there is nothing in the way of music, arts, culture and the like which started in or is unique to Australia. Every genre of music that is popular in Australia comes from the US (and most from the African American population) as do many other things. The sooner people admit this, the better. We're too busy getting excited about digging rocks out of the ground to bother investing in or promoting/developing these areas.

Come on mate, fair crack of the whip!

Come on mate, fair crack of the whip!

Don't you mean; "Fair go Cobber; strewth! fair crackathawhip!"

We Aussies are responsible for some culture! :D

Another peeve of mine and uniquely Aussie is when someone describes a situation with "I turned around".

Eg; "I turned around and I said to her...."

(Oft used by skanky boguns).

My wife and I often use this as a private joke - we say it to each other like this;

"Oi ternd areeownd"

(she's a snob too :D)

Among my many peeves- I've gathered a few at my great age-is the fact that when entering U.K I have to line up at the "Aliens' line- Hey- my family lost 4 boys in the first world war- 3 from the one family- brothers -fighting for what they were lead to believe was the "home" country- My daughter used to be very vocal when going through customsre this but I have made her tone it down now that all our freedoms have been curtailed by the dangers of 2012

Back