What is your pet peeve?

I try not to have pet peeves, because I have better things to do with my time than worry about useless nonsense. However, one thing that really annoys me is how people - lots and lots of people - can't get a handle on the differences between 'there', 'their' and 'they're'.

Pull your finger out, you learn that stuff in Grade 2, for chrissake.

On that note, Holden dealer near my work advertising the "employee discount promotion" has one of those roadwork signs out the front:

"Your one of us"

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have my list of pet peeves as well.

I dont like people who are

1) always turning up late during meetings

2) selfish and not sensitive to other people's needs

3) always blame shifting , not taking responsibility for their actions

4) always procastinating
"Sorry I'm late for the meeting; couldn't decide what to wear...but it's your fault - who organises meetings first thing on Monday morning anyway; it's ridiculous." :D

Last edited:
People who complain but don't do anything about their complaint. Examples -

Council should do something about the parking/trees planted etc. Have you written to them?

He's not a very good coach/scorer/ref etc. Then don't be just a spectator (whinger), put your hand up and take the job on yourself. The usual answer is 'I can't, I don't have the time." My answer is usually, "well, stop knocking the volunteers who make time to coach/score/ref your kids or you".

The girl in that shop/that call centre/whatever is so rude - she doesn't deserve a job. Well, did you complain to the manager?

Classmates who ask you questions during breaks in a course because they didn't 'get' something. When you ask why don't they put their hand up and ask the trainer themselves they say they're afraid of making a fool of themselves. ???? Or they say, so glad you asked lots of questions, I'm too afraid to ask. Why? You're there to learn. No point doing the course and not getting all the information you need to understand it!

Hate bad spelling and misuse of words as has been covered by others. Especially dislike "like".
Also can't stand "you know what I'm saying?" when they're really asking if you know what they mean. When someone says, "you know what I'm saying?", I usually say, "yes, I speak English" or "yes, I'm not deaf". Then they look at me as if they didn't understand what I just said.

Perfectly good businesses with good products, services or information that haven't had their web site spell checked and grammar checked. Very disappointing.

People who have cats that they allow to roam with no bells on their collars. I don't dislike cats but hate that cats hang around my garden and chase or kill the wildlife, not to mention making a hell of a noise and stench as they mark their territory. Also hate councils who won't put some sort of restrictions on this and get away with it by saying that cats are considered wandering pets and/or they are companion animals so they can't help by removing them. Also hate that they won't get involved in fencing disputes and Yes! I've written to them.

People who are new to the internet or don't have any email etiquette (read common sense) and you have to put up with all the funny jokes, videos etc they've come across that they then email to about 50 people at a time and put all the names in the 'To': field. They also just 'Forward' on anything they've been sent including all the reams and reams of other people email addresses from the previous forwards. My signature being ignored which says, "LET'S REDUCE SPAM AND MAINTAIN PRIVACY.
PLEASE don't forward on my emails unless you delete my email details first.
And PLEASE don't include me in emails to groups of people unless you put my email address in the BCC line. Thanks"
You don't give out other peoples home address or phone numbers willy nilly so why do they do it with email addresses? These are usually the people who complain of SPAM and have PC problems which they ask me to fix which I do gladly as it give me a chance to educate them. :p

People who don't read something properly/fully and ask questions already answered or bring up things that have already been covered. I find it so energy zapping and frustrating to cover old ground and have lots of toing and froing going over the same thing, over and over............drives me insane! The same goes for meetings that don't accomplish anything. Lots of talking, but no tasks assigned, no decisions made, no follow up on previous business, no ownership of anything. Aagghhh!

When someone says, "you know what I'm saying?"
Add to that;

The term "you know what,......" at the start of a sentence. I first heard it when we lived in L.A, and my wife started to use it there without even knowing it - she was exposed to a lot of it at her work.

Even more annoying that it has crept into Aus language - a lot of tv folk are now using it, and all the younger folk who watch the daily diet of Yankified tv.

And, the term; "I turned around" during a sentence, when the speaker didn't in fact "turn around" at all; they merely responded to someone/something (it's a bit of a favourite of bogans I've noticed).

Having just travelled overseas we use trip adviser so may I add:

1 star ( bottom) ratings to restaurants given because when the fools turned up without a reservation, it was full.

AND

The same given to a museum because they could not find it!

On the second one it is probably best because in today's world of GPS and maps, if you cannot find a Museum, you are probably wasting your time to actually visit. :D

Regards Peter 14.7

Why don't Unions in Australia pay TAX like any other Australian Public Company ,and why do they have so much control and power and stay quite when one Government is in ,then when the next Mob go in cause so much trouble,and the poor workers that pay the fees stand in line like sheep..

We as a Free Country have money for Wars,and hand out bucket loads each day to keep other Countries Happy ,and we can't even look after our own Poor who live in cars and parks..

Reading through this thread, I realise I am many people’s pet peeve.

Anyway, my pet peeves:

People who make orgasmic sounds when they eat
People who complain about parking or lack thereof
People who begin sentences with ‘Last night on The Project’
Parents who begin sentences with ‘When you have children’
The overuse of words like ‘innovative’, ‘passionate’ and ‘inspirational’
The words ‘pro-active’ and ‘synergy’
The terms ‘Aussie battler’ and ‘un-Australian’
Foot in the door journalism
Newsreaders who smile at inappropriate moments
Those evil funeral insurance ads (‘He was a good provider BUT…')
Ads for sanitary products (‘Yay, I have my period, now I can go surfing!’)
Vegetables as ‘gourmet’ garnishes in cat food (zero nutritional value for obligate carnivores)
Dog owners who think their aggressive dogs are cute when they attempt to maul me to death
The polo/shorts/sandals combo on men
Women with oversized handbags
Brand-conscious children
Short people who say ‘Oh, you’re so tall!’ (yet the reverse is somehow considered rude)
Overweight women who imply that non-overweight women aren’t ‘real women’
Our gadget obsession (iphone/ipad/idontcare)
Paying full price for the scummy leftover popcorn shrapnel from the cinema candy bar
Not having the confidence to complain about or exchange said scummy leftover popcorn shrapnel
Pedants who have too many pet peeves

The overuse of words like ‘innovative’, ‘passionate’ and ‘inspirational’
The words ‘pro-active’ and ‘synergy’
Reminds me of some others;

"positive outcomes" - used by corporate types.

"clinical studies have shown" - used by various personal hygiene ads and said by professional actors in white coats.

"laboratory tests prove" - same as above

Those evil funeral insurance ads (‘He was a good provider BUT…')
What's with the sudden glut of insurance ads now? The thing that peeves me (a[part form the volume of these ads - my Foxtel fast forward is starting to burn out :D - the shot of the call-center dudes in white shirts with their head-sets on and smiling gleefully as they talk insurance to some unfortunate sicker....another smash the tv moment (hey; new thread!)

* People in the employment world who go around flaunting their title and how serious they are about the business and show as if no one else takes the place as seriously as they do. One of those who don't have a business of their own to mind....because to them they have the most important J.O.B. to do in the world....never mind....business/property is the easy way out :rolleyes:[/rant]

* People at city rail entry gates looking for their ticket in their bag/pocket and everybody else waiting behind them to get through

This thread is hilarious! I'll add mine:
- taxi drivers who don't know how to get to the airport
- people who recline their seats on a one hour flight or make you get up so they can go to the toilet. It's ONE HOUR. Go before or hold it!!!
- you're, your, there, their, they're... but especially sort after and would of.
- journalists who ask a question and then insist on rudely interrupting in the middle of the answer
- FIL complaining to all and sundry about our poor choice of PPOR (townhouse close to city vs what in HIS opinion is a much better buy - big block in outer suburbia :eek:)
- people who think they know how to raise your child better than you :mad:
- My cat refusing to use the litter box and crapping in my spring onion instead.:mad::mad::mad:

I could go on... hehe!

This thread is hilarious! I'll add mine:
- taxi drivers who don't know how to get to the airport
- people who recline their seats on a one hour flight or make you get up so they can go to the toilet. It's ONE HOUR. Go before or hold it!!!
- you're, your, there, their, they're... but especially sort after and would of.
- journalists who ask a question and then insist on rudely interrupting in the middle of the answer
- FIL complaining to all and sundry about our poor choice of PPOR (townhouse close to city vs what in HIS opinion is a much better buy - big block in outer suburbia :eek:)
- people who think they know how to raise your child better than you :mad:
- My cat refusing to use the litter box and crapping in my spring onion instead.:mad::mad::mad:

I could go on... hehe!

Would of is by far the worst example of boganic english imo. You can ALMOST understand there/they're/their but would of is a disgrace, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Hi All

My pet peeve is little boys with rats tails or mo hawk haircuts, guys that wear their pants around their knees and their hats to the side.

Regards

Would of is by far the worst example of boganic english imo. You can ALMOST understand there/they're/their but would of is a disgrace, it makes no sense whatsoever.

When I moved to Australia I was taken aback by 'would of'...I thought may be it was Aussie way of saying 'would have'. I only ever learnt would have in school in a non English speaking country!

Back