What keeps you motivated?

Hey John,

Admire your honesty and determination to succeed. You would already know that academic achievement isnt required for financial success. I have a friend who left school in year 9 (he was at the bottom of all grades) and wasnt getting anywhere.

Well he surprised everyone and had a job for a short while and then started spraying cars in his backyard for money. Then he bought a bobcat and tipper and hasnt worked for anyone else since. He has built that up to a thriving excavation business with turnover in the high single digit millions.

He's now 37 and a multi millionaire with property & business. He realised early on if he needed brains he'd pay for them, infact whatever he needed could be bought. All he needed was the drive to succeed, its that simple.

ps: Excellent post SOS.

What keeps me motivated? Im not really sure, i have never analysed it. Its just what i do and i cant think of any other way of filling my time. I know i want to provide for my kids, thats very important. Beside that i just love the idea of making money.

Focus and Objective

Focus is the gist of my financial strategy. It boils down to how much do I need to maintain my lifestyle without being employed. Lifestyle = car + o/s holidays + son in private school + wife with house proud taste + church commitments + charity :)

Current commitments require about $70k p.a. after-tax. Still one-third left to cover over the next few years. The amount is probably excessive and should come down as my commitments are reduced as well. It is already more than enough for me to retire, but I am not an island! :D

What keeps me motivated?

Well, I haven't really started yet, but there would be a few reasons why I will be investing.

Firstly, I don't want to waste my life doing a 9-5 job that I don't really enjoy. Is my time really worth the, say, $25 per hour I'd be paid? Personally, I think my time is worth a lot more than that — I'll never get those hours back in the future. Investing will eventually give me my time...

Secondly, my parents will find it hard in their retirement, as they have, as yet, done nothing to contribute to their retirement, (save for the Super they have earned, which probably won't last them long). I would like to be able to help them in their retirement, (which would be about 20+ years in the future, I'd say).

Thirdly, I have always been surrounded by people who got better grades than me; people who 'looked down' on me in school, (I wasn't a popular kid in primary school); etc... I don't want to be 'just average' anymore. Average sucks. I would like to set myself apart from "the crowd" by doing something many aren't, that would greatly benefit myself and those I love in the future.

Fourthly, I have an interest in ways to make money work for me. I can stem this back to when I was in early high school. :) Investing in property is a way of doing that, which gives great returns. I might in the future, research higher risk strategies like options, futures, etc.

Fifthly, I would like to be able to commit some of my time and money to causes I support, like cancer research, stem cell research, and renewable energy...

Lastly, I want to be in control of my life, rather than other things and other people controlling it. I believe I have been given this time on Earth, and it is up to me to use it wisely.

A few reasons, but there they are... ;)

Thanks. :)

likewow said:
Hey John,

I have a friend who left school in year 9 (he was at the bottom of all grades) and wasnt getting anywhere.

Well he surprised everyone and had a job for a short while and then started spraying cars in his backyard for money. Then he bought a bobcat and tipper and hasnt worked for anyone else since. He has built that up to a thriving excavation business with turnover in the high single digit millions.

He's now 37 and a multi millionaire with property & business. He realised early on if he needed brains he'd pay for them, infact whatever he needed could be bought. All he needed was the drive to succeed, its that simple.
Reminds me of my ex-next door neighbour. As kids, all of our street used to "hang out", play footy etc. My next door neighbour was included in all of the activities but it was apparent that he was not quite as "switched on" as most kids his age (early to mid teens). Anyway, he left school early, probably yr 8 or yr 9 from memory, and started mowing neighbours lawns for cash. One thing led to another and he now owns a couple of trucks (rubbish removal, mowing etc) and has a few people working for him. He still lives in the same neighbourhood in one of the biggest houses there, I believe he has some I/P's, has raised some great kids (with the best manners) and is still the good guy that he was back then. Ya never can tell.

Regards
Marty

kissfan said:
Reminds me of my ex-next door neighbour. As kids, all of our street used to "hang out", play footy etc. My next door neighbour was included in all of the activities but it was apparent that he was not quite as "switched on" as most kids his age (early to mid teens). Anyway, he left school early, probably yr 8 or yr 9 from memory, and started mowing neighbours lawns for cash. One thing led to another and he now owns a couple of trucks (rubbish removal, mowing etc) and has a few people working for him. He still lives in the same neighbourhood in one of the biggest houses there, I believe he has some I/P's, has raised some great kids (with the best manners) and is still the good guy that he was back then. Ya never can tell.

Regards
Marty

Excellent stories like that everywhere Marty. While i think a lot of Robert Kioyasakis stuff is silly thats one concept of his i really agree with.

While i was reading your post i thought the line "And his name was Jim Penman" might pop up...:)

Back