What should happen after the execution

Was pretty emotional stuff in the parliament today.

emotional - I'm getting dam emotional that the country is in a mess and we are tying up parliamentary time with this rubbish. 1 minute spent on this is too long. How much have these scum cost this country? It could run into 100s of millions, potentially billions.

emotional - I'm getting dam emotional that the country is in a mess and we are tying up parliamentary time with this rubbish. 1 minute spent on this is too long. How much have these scum cost this country? It could run into 100s of millions, potentially billions.

Totally agree.

I wish they showed the same emotion and intensity in dealing with and helping the victims of these two heroin smugglers.

NO! Weren't they given the death penalty at the beginning? They knew their fate then.

We all did! So why is there this last minute rush to try to get clemency? This should be a reminder to anyone foolish enough to do it next time, but of course, there will be others.

It'll be business as usual.

Then at some future point, the government will give some aid money to Indonesia for some reason and the opposition will waive their finger at the government and tell them to remember how the Indonesian support the death penalty. Who's in government or opposition at that time is irrelevant (just like the current protests).

Politicians have the obligation and responsibility of looking after their own Country's future.

Part of their job is being diplomatic and making/keeping bridges, so I think you will see a respectful disagreement and protest from TA and co, but it will be business as usual for the long haul.

At the end of the day; they won't let the demise of 2 people destroy the future.

I typed this post earlier today and deleted it...

I have now decided that SS is not the general australian consensus (i should have known that)

Anyhooo...

I was saying to my husband.. I wonder what the reaction would be if this was a differnt crime?

Are we becoming too soft on drugs? One comment i read online was that they were not killing anybody that wasnt going to die anyway(infering that addicts were losers)

What if these men kidnapped some kids and molested them then killed them? Or if they sold teenage girls into sex slavery. Or ??? Something else...

We see public outcry whenever a paedophile gets released here with calls to "hang the b@$tard". Why are two drug dealers any worse or better. These two would be responsible for ruining faaaar more young lives.

My 2c ... Ignore me

It's an interesting situation. But this is what politicians tend to actually be good at. Not getting caught up in the emotion of the international dilemma, but rather putting forward a well measured rational and above all else politically correct response.

Well a good politician is capable of that. Let's see which ones prove they are good or bad after it happens.

At the end of the day though, this is a consequence for something bad that these people chose to do. There are a lot of horrible things happening in the world that are a lot more unjust, that are more worthy of our attention.

It's an all round terrible situation with no winners. However these guys are not blameless in creating this mess.

Everybody should protest outside their embassy and burn effigies.

Only backward societies run by backward thinking people, have the death penalty for drugs.

Here we have a country that has a death penalty for drugs and pays other countries to get their citizens off. A country rife with corruption with a murderous army. I'd be cutting foreign aid off as well. See how they then look in front of the world.

But I'd allow Balinese people to travel to Australia at will. Because they rock! lol

Come on tsunami!

Everybody should protest outside their embassy and burn effigies.

Only backward societies run by backward thinking people, have the death penalty for drugs.

Here we have a country that has a death penalty for drugs and pays other countries to get their citizens off. A country rife with corruption with a murderous army. I'd be cutting foreign aid off as well. See how they then look in front of the world.

But I'd allow Balinese people to travel to Australia at will. Because they rock! lol

Come on tsunami!

this is truly sick. you need to reflect on your thoughts.

As someone who lived in Indonesia for over 9 years..what is happening is sickening.....executing 2 reformed people bear no purpose and is not justice and sends the wrong signals.

If Indonesia is serious about sorting their drug problems perhaps they need to sort out the endemic corruption in their police force and government officials.
Perhaps shooting a few high powered officials who were involved in the drug trade might be a start. The issue is also disgusting in the sense this is typical Javanese face saving.

What is more disgusting is the stupid bogan comments who don't seem to understand in civilized societies executions are not permitted though for serious criminals will spend in jail. Chan and Myuran did more good inside in their 10 years...even their jailers agreed to testified to this.

Next time people in Australia make stupid comments ...think very carefully if this was your brother or son? Would you still agree to having a cross marked on chest and 1-3 bullets take your life. Most times the victims take up to 10 minutes to die. Even China when they have executed foreigners...have used lethal injections.

I am sorry....but Joko the Indonesian president is a hypocrite and weak leader. Next time he expects the world to plead against of Indonesians citizens ...I don't think he will be heard. Particularly from France, Brazil, Australia, and the Netherlands.

The way these two condemned men have behaved in the last couple of weeks is exemplary....despite they have made a major mistake in their life. They will have well truly have paid for their wrongs. May the ghosts of these two haunt the Indonesian Attorney General, Foreign Minister, and President...what a gutless lot they are.....

So to the stupid idiots on this forum...who are more concerned about their lot...is human life so cheap. Pull your heads in.....

What is more disgusting is the stupid bogan comments who don't seem to understand in civilized societies executions are not permitted though for serious criminals will spend in jail. Chan and Myuran did more good inside in their 10 years...even their jailers agreed to testified to this.

you mean white societies other than USA? third world societies that need to conform with the only enlightened right and proper way that is the Australian system

rest of the nonsense has been discussed ad nauseum in the other thread

Funny that...some of the most vocal people pro this issue happen to be "white" on this forum!

So please...don't make it a race issue....it is about an education issue....also not every state in the USA executes people...most happen in the poorer states in the USA...mostly below the Mason Dixon line..and disproptionately the people executed are black.

Let me ask the question if people saw one of these gruesome executions..like the Irish priest who consoled the couple inmates who got done in January....the question is whether they would then agree to the death penalty again?

Again...think through the issues before rambling on....

you mean white societies other than USA? third world societies that need to conform with the only enlightened right and proper way that is the Australian system

Well said, Sash.
The way some people call these reformed men 'scum', 'low-life', 'animals', 'dregs of society' is truly sickening.
Can people not change? Are they not entitled forgiveness?
Once a sinner, always a sinner? Forever condemned?
I challenge you 'can you hold a candle to what these men have achieved in 10 years in Kerobokan prison?' The programs they have set up for other inmates enrichment and education, the way they looked after other inmates, the exemplary behaviour they have modelled, the bravery they display in the face of most heinous death.
Do you match up? Have you done something similar besides just buy property and enrich yourself?

Well said, Sash.
The way some people call these reformed men 'scum', 'low-life', 'animals', 'dregs of society' is truly sickening.

they are low life drug traffickers that have smuggled poisonous bounty to inflict total and utter misery upon the populace in the pursuit of blood cash.

Reformed... did they have any choice? next you'll want a nobel peace prize for these blokes, world has gone mad

Do me a favour...live in Indonesia...and then you will see the sickening corruption.....these guys are just pawns....

The real criminals are some of the elite in the police, military, and government officials....

Let me ask a question....would you be so brave as these two and so composed knowing you will be shot soon??

they are low life drug traffickers that have smuggled poisonous bounty to inflict total and utter misery upon the populace in the pursuit of blood cash.

Reformed... did they have any choice? next you'll want a nobel peace prize for these blokes, world has gone mad

I think their fate was set from the start,and you would have to be very navive to think that's what's about to happen was not going to happen from the start,i went into my local inner city church one can buy candles for people that have problems in life,i it 50 because that is only a small amount for the problems that this will cause..

Why bring skin colour into this discussion?

Back