What would you do?

We have acquired some skates. Well.......a couple of hundred actually. They are old rentals and we are using them where we teach, but there are oodles more than what we need for that. Some are just too far gone & worthless, but others are fantastic.

Anyway.......I've been thinking of how I can put them to use outside of that. Now, daytime use would have to be limited to just me, and maybe employ a casual to help out, because Hubby is worth WAY more $$ at his job than doing anything with the skates.

I'm open to suggestions and here is what I've been tinkering with so far.

I could get some specialty shelving made up and transport them in a trailer to schools for school sport. I could run a session in their hall, and have a portable sound system that I could use. Now, to do that, I'm not sure if I could charge per person or a flat rate for a two hour session. I know it costs a lot for bus transport for students, so this might be attractive. If you like this idea, how much would you pay if this was offered at your school?

I could run a mobile 'roller disco' at set venues each week. For instance Saturday evening at one venue, Saturday afternoon at another venue, etc. Problem is that would tie up our weekends which I really don't want. Again, how much would you be prepared to pay?

I could rent them out to people for birthday parties etc. I know SkaterHq in the city charges $15 per pair for that. Being in Western Sydney, people probably wouldn't pay the same rates as someone in the City, especially when there is a rink at Emu Plains.

Pro's & con's or other ideas please.

I'd sell them all in one hit to skate rinks wholesale or sell them to Thailand where the staff use them to get around big shopping centres like Makro, Tesco, Carrefour, Big C etc. It sounds like you want to create a business out of it but maybe the reward doesn't justify the time/effort involved just because you've come across hundreds of skates. Hope that makes sense.

Shuggy, I'm a skating coach. Skating is what I do. I bought the skates to use from a skating rink that was updating their rentals. They are not going to want them back. AND yes, making some money from them is the idea.

Yes i knew that but it seems like a lot of effort dragging them around and setting up a skate venue when they can just go to the local skate rink instead. Plus issues like Health & Safety, personal liability insurance etc could be a pain. Maybe sell them to a different skate rink from the one you purchased them from. Or take the wheels off and sell them as funky shoes. Use the wheels for anything that requires mobility like heavy cases, toolboxes etc.

I like the idea of school sports. Most schools have an assembly hall, and it would be a great option for PE/sports/special occassions.
It could also be a fundraising option for schools/churches etc.. anyone who has a hall.... they could do a roller disco and keep a % of the entrance fee for their fundraising activities.
I would keep it to bigger events, rather than hiring out skates for birthday parties, cause that seems a bit "fiddly" to me.

I dont know what a reasonable charge would be though, for either option.
I think for school sports, its better to charge a 2 hour block, with a section of it being a "lesson" and then free skating.. if thats possible.
For fundraising, it would be per person.
If you go per person for either, you need to have a minimum number of people

I think the school idea might go but I reckon the public liability insurance will eat up any profit. Schools are terrified of litigation now. A school in Brissie just banned tiggy in the playground:rolleyes: so skating would really freak them out.

I like the idea of school sports. Most schools have an assembly hall, and it would be a great option for PE/sports/special occassions.
It could also be a fundraising option for schools/churches etc.. anyone who has a hall.... they could do a roller disco and keep a % of the entrance fee for their fundraising activities.
I would keep it to bigger events, rather than hiring out skates for birthday parties, cause that seems a bit "fiddly" to me.

I dont know what a reasonable charge would be though, for either option.
I think for school sports, its better to charge a 2 hour block, with a section of it being a "lesson" and then free skating.. if thats possible.
For fundraising, it would be per person.
If you go per person for either, you need to have a minimum number of people

Yeah the school sports idea sounds good to me. I know that ten years ago when we had our rink, the transport was starting to be quite expensive and rinks were losing schools because the bus fare was considerably more than the cost of the sport. By taking it to the school, you solve that issue, and can charge more than if I had a permanent facility. I need to get some specially made racks up that I can transport to go with that idea, but it still would give me a lot of flexibility too. If I was doing lessons, then the number of kids would be a lot less, so costs would be higher. Hard to do lessons during a general session.

I'm more keen on the bigger events too, however I know that Skaterhq does do quite a few of these parties. If they pick up the skates, say a minimum of 20 pairs, and then drop them off, and I charged $10pr, then I make $200 for next to no work. It could work as a bit of supplimentary income. :D

I think the school idea might go but I reckon the public liability insurance will eat up any profit. Schools are terrified of litigation now. A school in Brissie just banned tiggy in the playground:rolleyes: so skating would really freak them out.

What's tiggy?:confused:

Public Liability is expensive, it's true, but I'm not affaid of that. I would have to provide safty gear, which in many cases is overkill, but I know that the schools insist on that.

What's tiggy?:confused:

Public Liability is expensive, it's true, but I'm not affaid of that. I would have to provide safty gear, which in many cases is overkill, but I know that the schools insist on that.

maybe hire out a hall for night time roller derby

I'd sell them all in one hit to skate rinks wholesale or sell them to Thailand where the staff use them to get around big shopping centres like Makro, Tesco, Carrefour, Big C etc. It sounds like you want to create a business out of it but maybe the reward doesn't justify the time/effort involved just because you've come across hundreds of skates. Hope that makes sense.

u think tesco in thailand will buy second hand skates from australia???

maybe hire out a hall for night time roller derby

Haha, I wish! The derby skaters are a new breed. They all have their own skates, even though half of them can't skate (but they think they're speed demons, LOL!). If there is demand for Derby in an area, they are already doing that, but don't open for the general public.

Skater, it sounds like you know the situation better than us.. you've certainly answered most of your own questions.....

Joan, Penny & James all commented with useful information or suggestions. Do you have anything constructive to add, or are you just trying to be a pain?

Yes, I know skating, most people here know that, but I am looking for some feedback. Some won't work, but some might. It's called brainstorming Jaycee.

Sorry skater, as I said, I don't know enough to spot any opportunity which you haven't already done.

Sorry for repsonding and annoying you.

Is the skating rink you used to own the same one that failed as a business due to high insurance premiums ?

There were problems with the building, that the landlord refused to fix, like large leaks on the floor. Things that were beyond our control at the time. Yes, the premiums were large, but there were other things in play too. Now, like I said previously, do you have anything constructive to add?

Back