What would you do?

You sound stressed skater

It must be near enough to wine o'clock by now... .relax !

I'm going to have lunch... with a glass of wine

anyway, before someone thorws somehting at me ......

I know you are trying to start something ongoing but it doesn't sound very practical or profitable to me.

The cost of insurance, the damage to the floors of the school halls, the safety gear required, the physical number of skates required to be on hand to suit different size feet, teenagers full of hormones looking to impress someone .............

Maybe you could sell them on Ebay to get a return.

Sorry but I am Mr Practical and it all seems too much hassle for not much return :(

Last edited:
Haha, I wish! The derby skaters are a new breed. They all have their own skates, even though half of them can't skate (but they think they're speed demons, LOL!). If there is demand for Derby in an area, they are already doing that, but don't open for the general public.
Maybe it's a Brisbane thing but my sister has just started doing some Derby thing. She's been complaining that 2nd hand skates on ebay sell for over $100 and her and a group of friends need skates to do these derby nights. I really don't know that much about the events but maybe there is a market to rent to them.

Hi Skater,

I don't know the rules on this at all, but perhaps a two-pronged approach might be considered. Could you somehow donate the skates for a charitable tax deduction to local schools, but bring their use to your rink with a low-priced training programme, thereby building toward future-customer loyalty?

Hi Skater,

Been thinking about this, I think I would clean and decorate them, then put battery powered LED lights on them and finally put them on Ebay.

Start a craze and have to find some more :)

I know you are trying to start something ongoing but it doesn't sound very practical or profitable to me.

The cost of insurance, the damage to the floors of the school halls, the safety gear required, the physical number of skates required to be on hand to suit different size feet, teenagers full of hormones looking to impress someone .............

Maybe you could sell them on Ebay to get a return.

Sorry but I am Mr Practical and it all seems too much hassle for not much return :(
Nah, Macca. There is no damage to the floors. We skate on wooden floors all the time. They are designed for it. Safety gear is a given. I've got bucket loads as well as all the different sizes. Teenagers, well, we deal with them all the time too. They can't get up to too much mischief, remember they will have their teachers present too because it would be at school.

Schools book their sports by the term, so you have a whole term going to the same place each week. A session of 50 kids paying $10 each is $500. School sport often only runs for an hour and a half, so it's easy to do more than one session a day.

Maybe it's a Brisbane thing but my sister has just started doing some Derby thing. She's been complaining that 2nd hand skates on ebay sell for over $100 and her and a group of friends need skates to do these derby nights. I really don't know that much about the events but maybe there is a market to rent to them.
No, it's not just a Brisbane thing. The latest thing is for women in their late 20's to 30's, sometimes older, to decide one day that they would like to do Roller Derby after never skating before in their lives. So, you have all these women who can't skate dressing up in strange outfits and calling themselves by weird names. They all go out and buy Derby skates which are often over $200pr only to find that half of them don't like it, or are too terrified to continue.

If she's looking at Ebay, I can probably guarantee that she's looking at something unsuitable, unless they are proper Derby skates, which most of them are not.

Haha, I wish! The derby skaters are a new breed. They all have their own skates, even though half of them can't skate (but they think they're speed demons, LOL!). If there is demand for Derby in an area, they are already doing that, but don't open for the general public.

Maybe the opportunity would be in offering to teach Roller Derby participants how to skate better... or alternatively, offer a training club for potential Roller Derby participants, and being mobile you can move it to different areas.

Maybe the opportunity would be in offering to teach Roller Derby participants how to skate better... or alternatively, offer a training club for potential Roller Derby participants, and being mobile you can move it to different areas.

Hi Jag,

Because I work in a skating rink, I'm already teaching some Derby players. We tend to put them in the Learn to Skate classes along with the children. At the rink though, we have limited time, so was thinking of finding an alternate venue to teach the existing students in, as well as a more organised way to teach the adults. If the numbers are there, then we'd be more than happy to do adult only classes too, so yes, that's a possibility. The downside to this is that most of the Derby skaters think they can skate.

tiggy = chasey. kids running around with one kid being "up" or "it". if they touch or "tag" another kid then that kid becomes the chaser. as in "tag, you're it":D

tiggy = chasey. kids running around with one kid being "up" or "it". if they touch or "tag" another kid then that kid becomes the chaser. as in "tag, you're it":D

Ah, OK, Tag.

I'm not really surprised that schools would stop kids playing tag. They tend to run all over the place without looking and hurt themselves & others, especially when they do it on skates. I have a strictly 'no tag' policy when it comes to skating.

Ah, OK, Tag.

I'm not really surprised that schools would stop kids playing tag. They tend to run all over the place without looking and hurt themselves & others.

When I was in primary school (about 20+ years ago now :eek:) they painted all the poles yellow to try and stop me running into them. Happened about once a week, and look at me now Mum! haha

I still walk into things to this day without noticing

Back