what's Sydney's equivalent of Brighton Vic?

Brighton is the only place at the top of the Bay where you can get absolute waterfront properties. Everything else, there is a 4 or 6 lane road and parkland between the residences and the water -- like Brighton-Le-Sands.

Seems like the early settlers there held no value for the bay.

I don't think there is one. Imo Brighton in Melbourne is an overcrowded, highly overrated and overpriced silted up beach held together by a rockwall and the resulting weed stink. And anytime you want to go to the beach/baths area prepare to stand in squid ink and fish guts, it's one of those Greek dominated fishing area's that are never maintained you have to hold your nose if you even want to so much as breathe there. I'd even say it's a rough area/unsavoury folk from my own experiences there.. it has no appeal that I can see when compared to cheaper suburbs.

Sydney on the other hand every beach is gold. Glass blue waters, white sand etc The only beaches we have in Melbourne/vic that come close to those are Torquay to Apollo Bay along that western coast, and even those don't compare to Sydney's beaches!

Last edited:
I don't think there is one. Brighton in Melbourne is an overcrowded, highly overrated and overpriced silted up beach held together by a rockwall and the resulting weed stink. I'd even say it's a rough area from my own experiences there.. it has no appeal that I can see when compared to cheaper suburbs.

Sydney on the other hand every beach is gold. Glass blue waters, white sand etc The only beaches we have in Melbourne/vic that come close to those are Torquay to Apollo Bay along that western coast, and even those don't compare to Sydney's beaches!

The OP didn't ask what Melb beaches compared to Sydney's, they asked what was the comparable suburb in Sydney to Brighton. So by your observations Brighton is overcrowded, highly overrated, overpriced and "rough" so what is the comparable in Sydney......... Mount Druitt?

I don't think there would be a comparison

I don't really think brighton is overcrowded, especially when comparing to any other suburb the same proximity to the city , big blocks, about 10k to the city, 3 train stations, lots of shopping, restaurants

Having said all that I wouldn't live there

But there are plenty of people who are willing to pay the price tag , it has a little bit of that prestige factor

Brighton is the only place at the top of the Bay where you can get absolute waterfront properties. Everything else, there is a 4 or 6 lane road and parkland between the residences and the water -- like Brighton-Le-Sands.

Seems like the early settlers there held no value for the bay.

Yeah they ruined bayside a bit with the beach rd

Should of been inland a bit more

Only ever 4 lanes in brighton - outer lanes normally taken up by cyclists

Where in Sydney can you, in under 10mins
walk to the beach (yes far better than Melbourne bayside beaches)
walk to a train and be in the guts of Sydney in 30 mins
walk to a cinema
walk to a safeway and coles
walk to 20+ places that sell coffee
walk to some reasonable restaurants
walk to private and public schools
standard blocks are 150*50 ft
have access to the best bike path in Melbourne

I'm not sure Im not from sydney, perhaps Googee or is that too groovy?

Brighton is very family with many white collar types that toil in the office all day....btw im a member of the B baths and that is one of the best kept secrets in Melbourne, nothing better than swimming in the middle of winter and then cramming into the steam room and looking out at 100yr old baths.

I don't think there is one. Imo Brighton in Melbourne is an overcrowded, highly overrated and overpriced silted up beach held together by a rockwall and the resulting weed stink. And anytime you want to go to the beach/baths area prepare to stand in squid ink and fish guts, it's one of those Greek dominated fishing area's that are never maintained you have to hold your nose if you even want to so much as breathe there. I'd even say it's a rough area/unsavoury folk from my own experiences there.. it has no appeal that I can see when compared to cheaper suburbs.

People that live in Brighton don't care about the beach, when you can afford to live in Brighton you holiday on the beach in The French Riviera, people buy there because of everything else that Brighton offers

People that live in Brighton don't care about the beach, when you can afford to live in Brighton you holiday on the beach in The French Riviera, people buy there because of everything else that Brighton offers

not me I love the beach. You'll find me riding my **** bike down to the baths or the beach for a swim often in Summer.
I have zilch interest in the french Riviera or any of the dozen blokes I'd know that live round about have never mentioned a desire to go there.

Where in Sydney can you, in under 10mins
walk to the beach (yes far better than Melbourne bayside beaches)
walk to a train and be in the guts of Sydney in 30 mins
walk to a cinema
walk to a safeway and coles
walk to 20+ places that sell coffee
walk to some reasonable restaurants
walk to private and public schools
standard blocks are 150*50 ft
have access to the best bike path in Melbourne

I'm not sure Im not from sydney, perhaps Googee or is that too groovy?

Brighton is very family with many white collar types that toil in the office all day....btw im a member of the B baths and that is one of the best kept secrets in Melbourne, nothing better than swimming in the middle of winter and then cramming into the steam room and looking out at 100yr old baths.

Bondi, (not Bondi Beach), seems to fit that criteria more closely than any other Sydney suburb as far as I know.

Yes the French Riviera of Victoria...............Sorrento and Portsea

What is the median price in Brighton Vs Melbourne? Then start at x% above the Sydney median.

Having had a quick squiz of the current adverts on the web,5/walk to train), Roseville (train) or Kensington/Kingsford in the SE (bus and possibly light rail), Greenwich (on the ferry/walk to train.

Like everything, it depends on your budget - Strathfield min $1m - $5m
Greenwich $1.6m - $8m, K's $1.2m - $5m+

you will find very similar housing to Brighton in these areas.

not me I love the beach. You'll find me riding my **** bike down to the baths or the beach for a swim often in Summer.
I have zilch interest in the french Riviera or any of the dozen blokes I'd know that live round about have never mentioned a desire to go there.

Yeah nice, well as Jamesp mentioned above plenty of squid and fish guts along the foreshore For you and your boyfriends to roll around in on those balmy sunny evenings

Yeah nice, well as Jamesp mentioned above plenty of squid and fish guts along the foreshore For you and your boyfriends to roll around in on those balmy sunny evenings

Don't forget those fearless gigantic mutant rats on the pier that even stand you down and attack you ;) They are the size of a small cat! They stand you down, arch their back and growl from only 2 feet away, most people just drop their lunch/bait and run like hell!

Back