What's the secrecy?

Hi All,

On the back of Bay View thread, thought of starting this one. We have a "friend" we've known for around 7 years.

There is a huge amount of secrecy around where she works though hints of where she works are dropped online on facebook every now and again. We feel as if we can't even ask where she works although we do have an idea where...oh and it's a respectable corporate/gov't job I believe. There is also secrecy around her life in general though I've found we are open about where we work and our interests outside work..

I just find it really bizzare. Have you had "friends" like that?

We actually don't bother even asking anymore as I know we won't be getting a straight answer and not our business if she doesn't want to discuss....still annoyed at the secrecy and the idea that they are special hence don't tell..

Met someone like that before? Hardly worth calling them a friend and now it's almost they have fallen off the radar.

MsAli.

Hi All,

On the back of Bay View thread, thought of starting this one. We have a "friend" we've known for around 7 years.

There is a huge amount of secrecy around where she works though hints of where she works are dropped online on facebook every now and again. We feel as if we can't even ask where she works although we do have an idea where...oh and it's a respectable corporate/gov't job I believe. There is also secrecy around her life in general though I've found we are open about where we work and our interests outside work..

I just find it really bizzare. Have you had "friends" like that?

We actually don't bother even asking anymore as I know we won't be getting a straight answer and not our business if she doesn't want to discuss....still annoyed at the secrecy and the idea that they are special hence don't tell..

Met someone like that before? Hardly worth calling them a friend and now it's almost they have fallen off the radar.

MsAli.

Maybe they are in the Secret Service or part of X-Men: First Class.

Or they are playing Russell Crowe's character in A Beautiful Mind.

Odds are good that she works for one of the fed intelligence agencies. ASIO and ASIS are the best known but there are smaller depts as well such as the ONA and DSD. You can't tell anybody you work for them, or you lose your job. I looked into applying for a position a while ago and it states in the application paperwork that you can't tell anyone you're applying - including your partner. :eek:

One of my Wife's Uni friends was a astrophysicist . Mathematical Genius , but not many jobs available as astrophysicist . He went into a government job which he couldn't talk about .

Every one assumed it was ASIO . I had no problems about him not talking about it . He was a boring ...... Haven't seen him for over 20 years . No problems :D

I think that we were booked by Mad Max on the way to his wedding might have had something to do with that .

We talk about most things with friends . We don't have anyone in our lives like that any more and part of the good thing about friends it talking about what you're doing , what their doing and sharing experiences , other wise what's the pint .....

Cliff

I don't know where half my friends actually work! We all know what we do and practically what our first jobs were but not where we work now. It is not because of secrecy but I think it is not something 'important'. May be it is to do with the age & gender.

There may be an official reason for it, as has been stated.

Or perhaps they just don't think there's anything interesting about their work.

I was going to mention something about her occupation but I on second thought I better not say in case I get in trouble. I have already been in trouble this chocolate weekend.

I was going to mention something about her occupation but I on second thought I better not say in case I get in trouble. I have already been in trouble this chocolate weekend.

There is a high profile ex forumite who was rumored to have run several premises . Good cash flow .

Cliff

Odds are good that she works for one of the fed intelligence agencies. ASIO and ASIS are the best known but there are smaller depts as well such as the ONA and DSD. You can't tell anybody you work for them, or you lose your job. I looked into applying for a position a while ago and it states in the application paperwork that you can't tell anyone you're applying - including your partner. :eek:

If you work for these places, you are not supposed to be using social media such as FB anyway. There are a number of recorded cases where social media has been used to gather information about a person for the express purpose of putting pressure on them.

Bottom line, if they hold a TSPV, they shouldn't be using FB.

I once held a 'secret' level security clearance for an IT company that had contracts with the RAAN.

If I told you that I never saw or worked on anything remotely classified, sensitive or even interesting, would you believe me?

As Jen said. They work for the government.

Interesting point of view guys. There have been posts but they have then been hidden intentionally. Why even hint about it if it's meant to be secret? But this is not the first time. Everything else has been a secret in the past too. This job only just started for them apparently.

Interesting point of view guys. There have been posts but they have then been hidden intentionally. Why even hint about it if it's meant to be secret? But this is not the first time. Everything else has been a secret in the past too. This job only just started for them apparently.

I have a mate who is the same. I guess it adds to their life somehow...

Some people do it to add mystique- it is almost like a power trip. I simply don't engage with such people. The secret service types usually can put forward a cover story of some sort.

My guess is neurosis. Ignore it- and do you want/need friends like that anyway?

Someone who is trying to keep things confidential due to the nature of their work would not behave in this manner, does not make any sense.

My guess is she is probably a cleaner at the local public school or something like this.;)

Members of my family have, at times, had various clearances for top secret work but they were usually given a cover story that all the staff used.

Your friend is more likely embarrassed to talk about whatever job she does and is not particularly proud of or is on some misguided ego trip.

Members of my family have, at times, had various clearances for top secret work but they were usually given a cover story that all the staff used.

Your friend is more likely embarrassed to talk about whatever job she does and is not particularly proud of or is on some misguided ego trip.

Eactly my thoughts.
I know someone who lies about her husband's work and what he does, he is a sales engineer, which is a fancy name for sales person, she tells everyone he is an engineer, its her stuff, but if its not hurting anyone who cares.

Top secret is the highest clearance. There are several grades below that which require confidentiality but no cover story.

Back