Where to Buy - Canberra

Hello all,
As you've probably noticed, I've been trawling for mentions of Canberra or ACT in past threads. I'm heading back to Canberra after 6 years away, this time hopefully with a bit more money, and I'm looking for advice on areas to buy.

I'd love to buy inner areas, because that would allow me to only have one vehicle, but willing to consider outer areas. I have a dog, so don't want apartments, and I prefer properties with no strata costs so freehold is best.

I could reasonably comfortably go up to about $550k, and I'm thinking a property with renovations required, but good for longer term rental (when I get moved on again).

Thoughts?

The "All Homes" website is a great reasource to check out past sales history and to get a gauge on current prices. Start there and work your way out from the Inner north and Inner South areas to see what your budget will get you these days.

I am pretty sure $550K for a free standing is going to mean you will need to search a bit further out though. Perhaps the Weston area. Do you know whewre you will be working yet? That may come into it as well.

Good luck

Marty took the words out of my mouth.

Start with allhomes and filter the search based on your parameters.

I was also going to suggest sussing out Weston Creek and Woden areas. Both are relatively central and close to everything. Any closer to the CBD will likely cost a bit more.

Cheers

Jamie

Already way ahead of you all, but allhomes can only tell me so much. I've been looking in the Garran and Hughes area, and also Hackett, but I'm not sure how far the dollar will stretch

Yeah, $550k may not stretch too far in Hughes and Garran. Might be able to pick up something in Weston Creek though.

Cheers

Jamie

Garran is nice but very expensive and likely out of the budget you've set. I don't think there's any resi in Phillip - all pretty much industrial.

Cheers

Jamie

What about Harrison or Franklin? You'd get a nice house for your budget and it's only 10km from city centre.

Angel

Also definitely check out Curtin.

Lovely, centrally located quality suburb and it is starting to gentrify a bit more. Quite a few places are being renovated and you might just pickup something with lots of potential for your $550k budget if you negotiate well. Will probably need a renovation however.

Yeah, I've shifted my focus a bit to Curtin. I move up there in a couple of weeks time so will start investigating more closely then.

Been looking in Queanbeyan a bit as well

Yeah, I've shifted my focus a bit to Curtin. I move up there in a couple of weeks time so will start investigating more closely then.

Been looking in Queanbeyan a bit as well

Are you buying the property as a PPOR or IP?

Are you a FHB?

If a FHB and you purchase before 1 Jan 2012 in Qbn you won't pay stamp duty.

There's quite a difference between Curtain and Qbn though :)

Cheers

Jamie

Garran is nice but very expensive and likely out of the budget you've set. I don't think there's any resi in Phillip - all pretty much industrial.

Cheers

Jamie

There's quite a bit of resi in Philip, but it's all units (between the mall and th4e hospital). I have a unit there.

Back