where to buy PPOR in Perth area?

If you really like the beach you can get over 1000m2 in Warnbro on a sand dune with panoramic and uninterrupted views of wanrbro sound and a really big house for between 1-1.5 mil. Probably not such great soil for vegies though, but that can be fixed :)
I have always thought of Karnup to be far away as I live in Port Kennedy (which is closer to the city) and it takes my hubby an hour each way to get to and from the airport - luckily his company pays for cabs because I sure wouldnt want to drive him!
Wattle Grove and Orange Grove used to be pretty rural but now they are being developed and urbanised (as is everything). You can get nice acreage's in the Kelmscott or Roleystone hills area which is reasonably close to the airport.

No doubt that is what we would do - rent for 6 months somewhere. Unfortunately having a dog and a cat can make that tricky.

We've got something for you to rent Lizzie, 4x2 B/T, in between the Perth CBD and Cottesloe beach...5 minutes to each.

Can you imagine having me as your Landlord ?? :eek:

Oh Lizzie how exciting you are moving to the West.

I like Orange Grove, there are some lovely propertys around there on acreage, ideal for airport, not to far from city, bit of a trip to the beach. I don't like Wattle Grove. There are parts of Maida Vale that are on acreage. Schools, not sure there are any decent private schools around there, but high school wise Lesmurdie High used to, (not sure about currently) have an excellent reputation. Lovely places up the hill in Kalamunda, Lesmurdie on acreage.

Henley Brook has acreage, just right next door to the Swan Valley.

We've got something for you to rent Lizzie, 4x2 B/T, in between the Perth CBD and Cottesloe beach...5 minutes to each.

Can you imagine having me as your Landlord ?? :eek:

God i'd need 3 solicitors and 6months of my time to read the 500 page lease! I wouldn't sign it after that ! :D

Cheer up....it's a poxy little residential Lease...3 pages...all of which states I have no rights and you can do whatever you want. Paying rent is highly over-rated with these things. Totally optional.

I helped some friends from Kempsey on 10 acres relocate to Perth. I suggested Bassendean to them as it has a country feel. They rented there for 6 months while househunting to purchase. It was during Perth's last boom when properties were selling in a day at times. They were getting frustrated missing out quite often and a workmate suggested Padbury to them. They ended up purchasing there and are loving it. We gave them our chooks when we left Perth so they're even happier now. :)

As Deena suggested also, Henley Brook could be worth a look. Easy access to airport but driving to the city wouldn't be much fun.

This is my most desired area of Bassendean
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-bassendean-107578825

Thanks for all the info! Knew you'd come thru! Will find out next week if it's really on or not.

Hubby got the package offer in writing ... but now that word has gotten around other sections are frantically trying to find something local for him - at the same pay - otherwise he walks with his 32 years of wide and varied knowledge, hands on experience, passion/drive, loyalty and unbeatable work ethic. He's sending off applications for other jobs (mainly Perth) this weekend.

I'm hoping the locals don't come thru and ricind the offer, as this would set us up completely for life ... albeit on the other side of the country.

Dazz - don't hold the house if you have other tenants, but if all goes thru we would really really appreicate it :)

Really liking the idea of 5+ acres (preferably 10+) ... and all so close to the beach

Last edited:
Brigadon?

Looks like horse country to me ... an appears to be only 20km from the CBD down the Great Northern Highway.

Don't worry about it being "hot". Will be buying vacant land and building a darn good eco house with water for the air to flow over before entering the house ... etc

I'm new to Perth so no expert. Decided to rent before buying... but obviously our want list isn't yours.

Outside peak hours even things which look distant from the coast seem to be reachable within a reasonable time.

The Hills would have acreage and also have wineries and good stuff like that.

AaronSice (?) is a forumite who is a draftsman and might have some advice on likely places for future rezoning.

If you end up here feel free to PM me with any other questions.

Brigadon?

Looks like horse country to me ... an appears to be only 20km from the CBD down the Great Northern Highway.

Don't worry about it being "hot". Will be buying vacant land and building a darn good eco house with water for the air to flow over before entering the house ... etc

Brigadoon?? My husband took me there a couple of years ago to see the Avon Decent at Bells Rapids. It's very isolated. We hadn't had any lunch and there were no shops and we passed a pub that was closed.

I thought of another acreage area I like if you are leaning that way. Sawyers Valley. It may be a bit far to travel to city though, that's what put me off.

noice ...

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-residential+land-wa-jane+brook-2881226

will have to have a drive - although wine/horse country is tempting ...

That's the trick...have a drive but make sure you understand that come Summer, all that green is gone and becomes a bushfire hazard unless you cut it down rake it up or graze/keep it low.

Not trying to scare you just keeping it real.

My wife had never been to Perth other than in Feb each visit (4 visits) and was completely gobsmacked at how different and green/lush it was in early spring (last visit)

I'm envious as I'd love to move back to WA....one day...

Love the idea of the water over the entry...that will be needed and will,be fabulous!! Might try that here...thanks!

bit outside the budget ... but if buying bare land can pinch some of the ideas!

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-lifestyle-wa-herne+hill-7328618

liking the look of Bridgadoon and Herne Hill even more ... found a nice block backing onto a horse trail (don't tell junior) - also wine/horse country so some self contained lux, eco cottages might still be on the cards.

Gather it's 30mins from CBD and 20 from airport ...
Only just saw this post as I posted at same time as you last time.
I have some FIFO friends that live on Lord Street, Henley Brook near Whiteman Park. It takes them 20mins to airport. I think city would be closer to 40-60, but not positive. I have met friends of friends on acreage at West Swan. One has a 10? bedroom house and rents rooms to tourists and another has B&B's around Guildford area. (Beware, Guildford has very low flying planes) I remember reading in a magazine about a luxury house on acreage somewhere around the area's you mention, could have been herne Hill, and all you could see around you was rolling hills and you could rent it weekly for a small fortune. I love your idea of eco cottages!! I'd stay there!

Lizzie, I don't like Brigadoon, there is limited access in and out of the suburb, they are very bush fire prone. Think it was last year they had lots of bush fires out that way.

Herne Hill is ok.

As Invstor mentioned, it is close to the airport, going the back way. Peak hour traffic it would be 50 - 60 minutes to city, off peak quicker. Advantage of these areas near the Swan Valley is that you are close to many different routes to the city and can avoid the freeway which is a nightmare in peak hour.

I am biased living close to the Swan Valley, love the areas surrounding here, expecially if you have the sights of the beautiful rolling hills, although come summer they do get dry.

If you wanted to go further out, there is Bullsbrook, Chittering, Muchea. Chittering has battles with water supplys so would not suggest that. Bullsbrook has some nice estates, Muchea, heaps of water there. Only thing with all of these areas, would not recommend school. Long way out, you have to shop at least half an hour away, local shops for emergency and basic supplys only. I did live in this area for 18 years, loved it at the time but would not go back, just threw it in for another area for you to consider. Airport probably an hour away, these days traffic wise would probably be 1 1/4 hours to city.

Gee, putting positive vibes that it all happens for you and you become a honoury Sandgroper.

Id rent for a while and take my time
ta
rolf

Don't worry Rolf - I am sure we'd rent while looking around to start with ... I just to love to dream and plan and want to get my bearings of what is available and possible before the final decision to go is made, as this would be the last move before retirement! Something to do with being a control freak.

Back