where to buy PPOR in Perth area?

I said it was on a weekend, it was prob a Sunday - I don't really care. It was about a week or two ago.

Well most shops in the city open aroudn Sunday, but this mis not unique to Perth

I felt the same in Sydeny CBD on Saturday & Sudnay monrings, walkin g around looking for somehwere to have breakfast I ended up eating a crusty ham & cheese sandwhich and a weak watery coffee at some tiny shop that was one of the only things open in an arcade cause I couldnt find anywhere to sit down & eat something decent !

It happens.....

With a population so much smaller than Melb / Sydney, one would be naive to thing kit would be the same as a Syd / Melb, but it really isn't a 2 horse town is all I'm saying....

No one is saying Perth is a two horse town mate....chill....but it will be 3 horse when lizzies horse rocks up...LOL:p

That looks ok Lizzie... bit of a walk to the beach tho....it's a hard decision I can see coming your way. But definately rent first, will take awhile to get your bearings.

I can see you down Freo way...I don't know why but i reckon you'd love it down that way somewhere.

I don't know that side of town well, had a few friends there but have grown apart. I think their kids all went to private schools though.
I've had a few friends attend or recommend Kalamunda if you want to look into that school also for comparison. Yep, hard decisions!!

Last edited:
... he's now been offered 2 jobs in different sections at current work but they can't make him take them - and he doesn't think he wants them ... but now, after emailing VR offer and payment details, his immediate boss is holding off issuing the actual "signed" letter until they talk on Monday.

back in holding pattern - champagne remains unopened ... tossing up between Orange Grove and Hearne Hill areas - although Wattle Grove public seems right up our alley. Really want something that has a music program or band so that junior keeps motivated at the Sax.

Will have a gander at the private schools ...

Hey Jaycee - if it's not 20mins to the CBD, then how long do you reckon? Probably not at peak times as hubby likes to start around 7-8am and finish at 4 to get some work done before the questions start coming in.

wattle/orange grove in peak i suspect 30-40mins

herne hill would be 45-1 hour but ultimately i dont have personal experience.

good thing is that in both cases you dont need to use the freeway which tends to take ages during peak hour.

what about inthe hills like kalamunda, helena valley (plenty of 5 acre blocks there) and i believe quite a few affordable private schools

what about inthe hills like kalamunda, helena valley (plenty of 5 acre blocks there) and i believe quite a few affordable private schools

30-40 from Wattle/Orange? That surprises me as doesn't appear that far out with major link road.

Doesn't appear to be anything for sale in either Kalamunda or Helena from which to get a feel for what is available at what price ... only bring up "surrounding" Orange Grove! ;)

... he's now been offered 2 jobs in different sections at current work but they can't make him take them - and he doesn't think he wants them ... but now, after emailing VR offer and payment details, his immediate boss is holding off issuing the actual "signed" letter until they talk on Monday.

back in holding pattern - champagne remains unopened ... tossing up between Orange Grove and Hearne Hill areas - although Wattle Grove public seems right up our alley. Really want something that has a music program or band so that junior keeps motivated at the Sax.

Will have a gander at the private schools ...

Hey Jaycee - if it's not 20mins to the CBD, then how long do you reckon? Probably not at peak times as hubby likes to start around 7-8am and finish at 4 to get some work done before the questions start coming in.

I think you'll find the roads pretty busy getting to work by 8 am and leaving at 4 pm..

I think Sanj might be pretty accurate.. 20 minutes will probably work for night times or w/ends etc...

Put it this way, if I lived in Morley or Mirrabooka for example, I'd leave home more than 20 minutes before my appointment time (not including looking for parking time) if I had to be in the CBD at a specific time.

Somewhere around Floreat or Shenton Park in the "golden triangle" would be my bet, if you can find what you want for a $mil (obviously not an acre though). Could possibly pick up a reno type place for that.

- Close enough to the beach
- Throwing distance to all the major private schools
- CBD up the road
- Airport not too far away

Somewhere around Floreat or Shenton Park in the "golden triangle" would be my bet, if you can find what you want for a $mil (obviously not an acre though). Could possibly pick up a reno type place for that.

- Close enough to the beach
- Throwing distance to all the major private schools
- CBD up the road
- Airport not too far away

Just so lizzie udnerstands , this is quite different to living in Herne Hill or wattle grove or even high wycombe etc.

For me the western suburbs would be more attractive, but only in the personal kind of way I prefer the colour blue to green for example

Last edited:
I think you'll find the roads pretty busy getting to work by 8 am and leaving at 4 pm..

I think Sanj might be pretty accurate.. 20 minutes will probably work for night times or w/ends etc...

Put it this way, if I lived in Morley or Mirrabooka for example, I'd leave home more than 20 minutes before my appointment time (not including looking for parking time) if I had to be in the CBD at a specific time.
Yep, Jaycee's about right. About a year ago I left Morley at 8.00am. Dropped kids off at a friends house in Eden Hill, drove to RPH and it took me 20mins. You could probably add 3-5 min commute time every year for immigration and extra traffic. have you tried using whereis to give you a guide of commute times?

That orange grove property is lovely Lizzie, lovely around there as I have said before, but then all of the recent suburbs you have mentioned I think are ok.

How old is your child Lizzie? Wattle Grove Primary used to have a good reputation, stats are not everything you realise, no idea what its reputation is now. Last school my son went to, stats were great, I despised everything about that school with a passion.

You would not take long at all to get from Orange Grove to Wattle Grove Primary. The thing is with any property with acres you buy you will have to travel a distance for schools. If you did live in Orange Grove, not sure what feeder high school you would be allocated possibly Lesmurdie High and that would be good. I would not go to Kalamunda or Forrestfield High, but now my kids are no longer at school not sure what these schools are like.

But, a good academic kid will normally achieve well anywhere, I think.

I think quoted travelling times are about right. Where is it is a guide only regarding travelling times, it told me the other day I had a 35 minute trip, it took me 50 minutes

Last edited:
Forget the ex-swamps Lizzie (I beg your pardon...horse properties).

You'll get flooded in winter and burnt to a crisp in summer.
You'll be shivering in winter and carried away with mozzies in summer.
You'll wake up to horse poo in the morning and have manure for sweets at night.

What you need is some refinement, so delightful hoighty-toighty-wannabes, you'll be deliciously warm in winter and cool and calm in summer.

I reckon somewhere in the western suburbs, the golden triangle where all of the top schools are.

Somewhere in the middle, between CBD and beach.

Oh, I dunno, somewhere near Nedlands maybe. :)

Plenty of well heeled NSW folk in Neddies. You might even know 'em, John and Irene are their names. We need to eartag them so they don't contaminate the grouse WA sandgropers, but you know, they are tolerated.....at least they know how to spell the word golf.

I would not go to Kalamunda or Forrestfield High, but now my kids are no longer at school not sure what these schools are like.

But, a good academic kid will normally achieve well anywhere, I think.
A couple of my friends kids/kids friends are going to Kalamunda High and are happy with it. One travels from Midland and her child got a scholarship for gifted and talented. http://www.kalamundashs.wa.edu.au/?q=node/8
Some others are starting there in another year and a bit and travelling from Bassendean. There's really not a good choice of public high schools around where I was previously living so maybe Kalamunda was a good choice compared to what else was on offer. I had another friend send her kids to Kalamunda primary a couple of years ago while she was living an acreage at West Swan. She was happy with the school. (another friends daughter attends there now and is currently year 6 and they are happy) Majority of my friends that want to go to public schools are moving closer to the city for their kids to go to high school. Other people I know on acreage around Henley Brook were sending their kids to Kingsway Christian College (There could be a bus that goes from there??) I've heard good things about Swan CC and Ellenbrook CC also. http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=e...DQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&ved=0CAQQ_BI
Guildford Grammer (need deep pockets) where Heath Ledger attended is a great school too apparently.

Dazz and Western Rat have good points too of course! Perth golden triangle is beautiful and great schools!! Will leave you in peace now and get on with housework. :( :D

Sorry I don't know how to quote you Invstor, as I said I am not sure about the hills schools now, I did say this.

I can speak personally for Ellenbrook CC, I had my kids there, was great school at first, now has gone down hill in the last few years, lots of changes in teachers leaving, during the school year, what does that tell you? I personally know of one teacher in primary who had been there since the school inception who left. More changes in the high school side with teachers, multiple disruptions in the upper high school teachers impacting on year 12 students in particular. This has been happening for a few years now the disharmony. Although having said that all, again I speak for myself and several parents I know whose kids attend there still. Swan CC think that is still a good school.

The private school that is a goer is Swan Valley Anglican Community School, it is growing at a rapid rate, bit on the expensive side but they strive for high academic standards. They have a music program Lizzie.

Thanks guys ... even more torn as had real estate agent round last night to look at the ppor and advise what we should do to the property for maximum return (did I mention reno plans came out of council this week!).

He is older and very knowledgable - and his opinion was to buy something as close to the beach as we can afford as prices are currently down and have greater potential for growth. Of course hubby enthusiastically agreed!

Damn.

I was bought up on 10 acres and loved it ... and junior has wanted a horse, and been riding, since she was 4 ...

Guess I've been spolit in Newcastle - can get an acreage 10mins from the beach, 25 to CBD and 5mins from the lake here.

Back