where to buy PPOR in Perth area?

Hi Lizzie

Just read this post and it brought back memories. I have only lived in Perth since 2007 when we were transferred here for hubby's work. Prior to that I was always an east coast girl who had lived her entire life mostly around Newcastle and the Hunter region, but also commuted at times to Sydney for work. Love the beach and was living on an acre before we moved west, with other family on small acreages and farms.

My personal advice...definitely rent first (sounds like you will be anyway) but I would also try and rent near where you think you might like to buy. Perth is actually larger then a lot of people expect and it still has the usual issues like travelling times and peak hour that may affect your hubby getting to and from work in particular.

My hubby's work flew me over twice to try and find somewhere to buy or rent...it's amazing how different my opinions were of where we might like to live only about 6 months after moving!

On a happy note, we all love living here. It is great for family life and just seems less stressed than the east coast...mind you I still miss NSW because all my family live there! Just be warned that it is true that WA stands for Wait While (relative to the east coast) but to be honest you get used to it. Good luck.

Angela :)

Find out tomorrow if it's on ... the job in Perth is his if he wants it (which he does), just getting confirmation of package (or not) tomorrow as a few jobs have come vacant from others bailing ship.

Hubby wants the package as has mentally moved on already ... the beach in the morning and jazz bar in the arvo is very tempting! ... and he doesn't want the job he thinks they might try and saddle him with (totally not suitable for his personality) ... I'm not stressed either way - it's either a new begining with some extra cash behind us, or business as usual.

We'll rent for a while first as we'd need to sell our ppor - which we'd rent out if we don't get the $$ we (reasonably) want - and even if we do buy, it will be either acres or beach and build.

Dazz .... ? :eek:

Henley Brook? Jandakot? Maybe a nice house on an easy care block in Burns Beach might be the go......! lol.

There's some big properties in Spearwood as well.

Hi Lizzie

Just read this post and it brought back memories. I have only lived in Perth since 2007 when we were transferred here for hubby's work. Prior to that I was always an east coast girl who had lived her entire life mostly around Newcastle and the Hunter region, but also commuted at times to Sydney for work. Love the beach and was living on an acre before we moved west, with other family on small acreages and farms.

My personal advice...definitely rent first (sounds like you will be anyway) but I would also try and rent near where you think you might like to buy. Perth is actually larger then a lot of people expect and it still has the usual issues like travelling times and peak hour that may affect your hubby getting to and from work in particular.

My hubby's work flew me over twice to try and find somewhere to buy or rent...it's amazing how different my opinions were of where we might like to live only about 6 months after moving!

On a happy note, we all love living here. It is great for family life and just seems less stressed than the east coast...mind you I still miss NSW because all my family live there! Just be warned that it is true that WA stands for Wait While (relative to the east coast) but to be honest you get used to it. Good luck.

Angela :)

I agree with Angela! Think about renting near where you think you'd like to live. Changing schools and too many moves can be painful. Especially if you may move from one side of town to the other. I think Henley Brook or immediate next suburbs to Henley Brook would be a great place to start. I was living a 5-15 min drive from the wineries. We'd sometimes go to wineries for lunch then beach to watch the sunset. Great lifestyle!! + for you, close to airport and acreage.

Investor - you tease!

What I'd probably do is spend the after Christmas school hols looking at where we want to end up ... then enrol Junior in that local school and commute from our rental to school for a while until we buy or build.

Yep Swan Valley lifestyle is the goer. I live very close to Henley Brook, that several of us have mentioned.

Summer, I buy grapes, watermelons, rockmelons, honey dew melons at the roadside, from the grower picked that morning. Devine stuff, can't understand people. You see the locals buying all this produce from the supermarkets, probaly weeks old when it is just down the road.

Winerys, wine tasting, good wine direct from seller and then there is the food, yummo.

One thing for sure Lizzie is, get used to things moving alot slower and being more relaxed (than NSW/Syd)

Fair dinkum, every time I go over West it's great and when I get back into Syd/NSW it's all hectic/fast paced again and a real shock even though I know what to expect...!:(

Lucky you....:)

Investor - you tease!

What I'd probably do is spend the after Christmas school hols looking at where we want to end up ... then enrol Junior in that local school and commute from our rental to school for a while until we buy or build.
He,he!!

Don't forget the Australian school system is trying to get in line with Tasmania and your child could be in a different year than what you are expecting. I'm not sure if you can check online or may have to ring any school in WA to find out. If you are going private your child could be nearing high school sooner than you think. School will be closed over Xmas so you may not know where your child is going until a week before school. It will be hard to get into a good out of area public school and possibly hard to get into private school of your choice. Not intending to stress you out!! But some things to consider. Speaking from experience.

One thing for sure Lizzie is, get used to things moving alot slower and being more relaxed (than NSW/Syd)

Fair dinkum, every time I go over West it's great and when I get back into Syd/NSW it's all hectic/fast paced again and a real shock even though I know what to expect...!:(

Lucky you....:)
ha! so true. My cousin just visited Perth from Brisbane. She walked to the city on the weekend and found nothing opened till 10.30. :)

Heh..yeah...hey, is everything still closed on Sundays too...?

Last visit we went into the CBD on a Sunday and you could hear a pin drop....nothin...!!

ha! so true. My cousin just visited Perth from Brisbane. She walked to the city on the weekend and found nothing opened till 10.30. :)

Yeah that's actually not true

Do we have daylight savings : No
Do we have unregulated trading hours ? No
But let's not exagerate

Heh..yeah...hey, is everything still closed on Sundays too...?

Last visit we went into the CBD on a Sunday and you could hear a pin drop....nothin...!!

Was that 2 1/2 decades ago when Saturday afternoon trading only just got

I drove into the BD on Sunday to do something, the only way I could have heard a pin drop would have been to wind up my windows and play a recording one dropping on my stereo really really loud.

If you are going private your child could be nearing high school sooner than you think. School will be closed over Xmas so you may not know where your child is going until a week before school. It will be hard to get into a good out of area public school and possibly hard to get into private school of your choice. Not intending to stress you out!! But some things to consider. Speaking from experience.

I know I know ... but rather hard when you don't know where you're going to end up. I want around Wattle Grove/Henley Vale/Brigadoon ... hubby thinks he wants to be able to walk to the beach ... junior wants a horse (has wanted a horse and has been riding for 4 years now)!

Ah ok jaycee, you love to argue the point don't you....

That was in 2006 and yes it was quiet as and no shops open in the mall.

That's what we experienced mate how can you argue that...? Give it up.

it was a sunday, not saturday.

Liking the look and "feel" of Wattle Grove Public (primary) ... can anyone point me in the direction of finding out more details of how the school performs?

I tried NAPLAN, which is an academic comparison system - but quickly realise it's NSW only. I'm not just after academic, but it's a good place to start seeings as junior received all band 5 and 6 (which are the top bands - and reading was literally off the chart) for her last NAPLAN test.

She also plays the saxaphone and is very artistic - not so much sporty.

http://www.det.wa.edu.au/schoolsonline/main_page.do

Last edited:
Ah ok jaycee, you love to argue the point don't you....

That was in 2006 and yes it was quiet as and no shops open in the mall.

That's what we experienced mate how can you argue that...? Give it up.

it was a sunday, not saturday.

I'm sorry ????

My reply was to investor who quoted shops not opening till 10.30 am on a Saturday - which as I said, is simply & really not the truth, except for the few shops which do it on purpose..

As for your experience in 2006, that was 2006 and we are talking about now to help lizzie...

So just thought you might like to know that the larger majority of shops in the CBD are open on Sundays in the city. They do open late on Sundays, but you would have to have the strongest hearing a human has ever had on earth to hear a bloody pin drop !!!

I know it's funny to say, and thaat Perth deserve the ridicule :rolleyes: but that doesn't mean someone correcting you is out to just start an argument...

anyway, it was just a passsing comment like yours & investors, how about we move on...

jaycee...now listen up big now....I am not in the business of taking the **** out of Perth...I love Perth you idiot...!!

And I was originally asking if the Sunday trading laws had changed since I was last there....and you take it so the wrong way.

Re: Pin drop....Have you ever heard of a figure of speech...geeze...talk about touchy.:rolleyes:

For crying out loud you need to relax man....seems you don't sunscribe to the Perth way...cool it...!

boys boys boys ... end it now ... create your own argument thread if you want, otherwise both of you to your corners ...

I'm sorry ????

My reply was to investor who quoted shops not opening till 10.30 am on a Saturday - which as I said, is simply & really not the truth, except for the few shops which do it on purpose..

As for your experience in 2006, that was 2006 and we are talking about now to help lizzie...

So just thought you might like to know that the larger majority of shops in the CBD are open on Sundays in the city. They do open late on Sundays, but you would have to have the strongest hearing a human has ever had on earth to hear a bloody pin drop !!!

I know it's funny to say, and thaat Perth deserve the ridicule :rolleyes: but that doesn't mean someone correcting you is out to just start an argument...

anyway, it was just a passsing comment like yours & investors, how about we move on...
I said it was on a weekend, it was prob a Sunday - I don't really care. It was about a week or two ago.

Liking the look and "feel" of Wattle Grove Public (primary) ... can anyone point me in the direction of finding out more details of how the school performs?

I tried NAPLAN, which is an academic comparison system - but quickly realise it's NSW only. I'm not just after academic, but it's a good place to start seeings as junior received all band 5 and 6 (which are the top bands - and reading was literally off the chart) for her last NAPLAN test.

She also plays the saxaphone and is very artistic - not so much sporty.

http://www.det.wa.edu.au/schoolsonline/main_page.do
http://www.myschool.edu.au/

Back