Which Suburb should I choose?

Hi folks,

looking for 2b PPOR which need close to station, as work at randwick, want to make travel time within 1 hour. My budget is around 350K and I like to have own courtyard. Based on above criteria, townhourse or villa around merrylands or pendle hill could be the targets. Is there other suburb I could check? Merrylands and pendle hill, which is better?

Any advice is welcome

Mmao1, I believe a 2 bed villa in $350k around Pendle Hill would be a challenge. No harm looking though. You can also look in Girraween (close to Toongabbie station which is right after Pendle Hill). Train from these stations to the city is approximately 50 minutes. So not sure if you'd be able to get to Randwick within the hour.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Merrylands and pendle hill, which is better?

In terms of just capital growth, then Pendle Hill has performed slightly better than Merrylands over the last 15 years or so - but not by much.

Like MsAli said, you may struggle a bit to find a villa within your budget.

All the best with the search.

Attachments

• PHillVsMerry.jpg
    PHillVsMerry.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 108
Merrylands/ Pendle Hill

Obviously, our agency is based in Merrylands, but we sell and manage properties in Pendle Hill also.

Pendle Hill is very popular mainly due to excellent service from the trains, and good access to local facilities (including Sydney's biggest mosque)

Merrylands, with it's new shopping mall and residential developments, is becoming more of a lifestyle suburb. There have been shootings recently between bikie gangs, which the media has had a field day with. In reality it's not a big deal and hasn't affected day to day life or property values!

I personally would choose to live in Merrylands. Yes, of course I'm more familiar with the suburb, but there's a little nightlife (restaurants/ cafes open late) and Pendle Hill feels a little like a suburban wasteland to me. Lots of long, hot streets full of flats. Merrylands is a little greener and "homelier."

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
You might get lucky. My cousin just sold a villa in Pendle Hill for around 360k.

Demography and socio-economics is a bit different in the two suburbs. Merrylands has better shopping facilities and closer to Parramatta. Pendle Hill is relatively more peaceful and close to good schools.

I think you'd struggle to get to Randwick from either place within the hour. The quickest trains to Central/Museum would be around 40-45mins and then the bus ride would be pretty slow out to Randwick.

I currently live half way between Merrylands and Pendle Hill and commute to the city. There are express trains from Pendle Hill in the mornings but all-stations trains in the afternoons, which adds around 10-15mins to the trip home. No Merrylands trains are express either way.

I go to Pendle Hill as I feel it's safer than Merrylands. If you work standard 9-5, there's no real difference but coming home a bit later you'll find that there aren't that many people getting off the train at Merrylands, whereas at Pendle Hill there are still quite a few people around at 7.

It would also be a considerably longer walk from most units in Merrylands in comparison to Pendle Hill. There's quite a different demographic in each suburb too. just realised PP also mentioned this.

Both suburbs have just had a change in development rules. Pendle Hill has now been allowed to put units in within a certain distance from the station while Merrylands is destined to have its first mid-rise apartments (although there is quite a backlash to this).

Dunno where I'd prefer to live - I like the shopping centre at Merrylands but don't feel too comfortable in the suburb itself.

To be brutally honest you are very unlikely to make it to Randwick in an hour from either place!

Merrylands to City is about 35-40 minutes. Once you get there the 373 will be choked in traffic most of the way to Randwick! (though that bus does come very regularly!)

It would take about 1 1/4 hours minimum on the very best days! (from Merrylands)

Sorry to be a party pooper!

If you're buying a home- buy the place that feels like home! Don't worry about the suburb profile. They're both nice places, full of kind people (and a few bad apples like anywhere!)

Also think about
- access to major roads
- surrounding suburbs
- schools
- ripple effect from Parra, Blacktown & Liverpool

In terms of just capital growth, then Pendle Hill has performed slightly better than Merrylands over the last 15 years or so - but not by much.
There is a sudden price kick in Pendle Hill units in 2010. I think that is due to one of the 'high end' development. You can see the median price is coming down after all those are sold out.

To be brutally honest you are very unlikely to make it to Randwick in an hour from either place!
The best you can do is 1 hour 4 minutes :)

Dep: 7:29am Pendle Hill Station Platform 1
Arr: 8:01am Central Station Platform 16, Sydney

Dep: 8:05am Central Station, Eddy Av Stand C, Sydney
Arr: 8:30am Belmore Rd Nr Avoca St, Randwick

source: www.131500.info

Hi folks,

looking for 2b PPOR which need close to station, as work at randwick, want to make travel time within 1 hour. My budget is around 350K and I like to have own courtyard. Based on above criteria, townhourse or villa around merrylands or pendle hill could be the targets. Is there other suburb I could check? Merrylands and pendle hill, which is better?

Any advice is welcome

$350K is doable for both those suburbs. We picked up a really well-kept 2 bed villa in Pendle Hill with LUG and walk to station in a great complex for mid $350K's late last year for a buyer. Place was immaculate and also had a new kitchen and nice courtyard.

I'd also consider Wenty as well, though you're likely to only get south side which, being across the other side of the highway, is really too far to walk to the station.

The FHB activity at the end of last year did push up prices however so you'll need to look hard. Investors are also returning so they may be your competition. Good luck.

Back