white knight tile paint

Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera, so I can't give you pictures, but just wanted to let all know that we've used White Knight tile paint to do the tiles in our kitchen and bathroom in a current reno... we've also used it on the floors, and the transformation is excellent, and the enamel finish stands up well... I'd recommend it for a quick cheap facelift... If I can borrow my brother's digital camera I'll take some pics...

Cheers
r

I've used it, and it came up well.

But there were still brush marks (I may have done it incurrectly), so I would not use it for a classy reno.

tile paint

I have just used this also, and was quite impressed with the results.Sure beats retiling!! The one lesson I learnt was that prep. has to be spot on. Any silicone from previous patch ups has to be removed.I thought I got it all,but missed a couple of spots.It doesn`t stand out at a quick glance, but I`m a bit fussy and it annoyed me greatly.
Also used "tub`n`tile" to repaint a tired {and yellow!!}bath. Same thing; prep is everything.

Regards , Terry

could you use an airgun like the painters use to cover the floor & walls? No streaks or brush hairs in the paint. These can be hired from you local Hire company.

cheers Keg75

I have also been very happy with the results of White Knight Tile paint, I was painting over those very small tiles 1" square - and brush marks didn't seem to show. I had 15 showers to do and unfortunately White Knight paints only come in 1ltr cans and is rather expensive. What I have started to use for showers is firstly I prepare the surface with ESP (Easy Surface Preparation) which can be purchased at any paint outlet and then simply slap on 2 coats of full gloss enemal paint and leave it for two weeks to let it cure. I have done the shower walls and floor in this way. Looks great so far but I'll check out the condition when my renter leaves the premises in a couple of months. I've done two using White Knight and I've done two so far using enemal paint. I'll post an update when I get in to see the wear and tear.

wombat

I used it too. Great result.

Only complaint was that it is hard paint to use. Took three hours per coat for a medium bathroom.

Cheers,

Wombat,

Would be interested in hearing your results - we've considered the same thing & will be testing it on our back bathroom.

If you look at the ingredients in White Knight the product is basically a marketing concept not a new & unique approach.

That given - unless you're doing a lot of tiles & are experienced with this type of thing, White Knight is an ideal solution :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

ACDC and the rest

Yeah,

White Knight Solution

White Knight Tile Cleaner ~ 20 bucks
White Knight Primer 1 ltr ~ 25 bucks
White Knight Tile Paint 1 ltr ~ 29 bucks

Just enough for 1 shower and batroom floor > 70 bucks x 15 ~ > $ 1000 paint.

Enemal Paint Solution

Using enemal ~ 200 bucks for 20 litres (heaps left over for touch ups)
ESP ~ 60 bucks

...just need to confirm the performance.

As with anything in this world - "time will tell".

Remind me in a couple of months to post the results.

wombat

wombat said:
Looks great so far but I'll check out the condition when my renter leaves the premises in a couple of months. I've done two using White Knight and I've done two so far using enemal paint. I'll post an update when I get in to see the wear and tear.

I'd be really interested in your opinion after a few months of wear. I'm a big ESP fan. :D

Cheers

wombat said:
ACDC and the rest

Yeah,

White Knight Solution

White Knight Tile Cleaner ~ 20 bucks
White Knight Primer 1 ltr ~ 25 bucks
White Knight Tile Paint 1 ltr ~ 29 bucks

Just enough for 1 shower and batroom floor > 70 bucks x 15 ~ > $ 1000 paint.

Enemal Paint Solution

Using enemal ~ 200 bucks for 20 litres (heaps left over for touch ups)
ESP ~ 60 bucks

...just need to confirm the performance.

As with anything in this world - "time will tell".

Remind me in a couple of months to post the results.

wombat

Hi Wombat,

Can we assume that you have not bothered to prime the surface after using the ESP product?

Glenn

Glenn said:
Hi Wombat,

Can we assume that you have not bothered to prime the surface after using the ESP product?

Glenn
That's what the paint man told me. ESP ecthes the surface, so no need to create a sticky new surface with primer...

Jas

wombat said:
I have also been very happy with the results of White Knight Tile paint, I was painting over those very small tiles 1" square - and brush marks didn't seem to show. I had 15 showers to do and unfortunately White Knight paints only come in 1ltr cans and is rather expensive. What I have started to use for showers is firstly I prepare the surface with ESP (Easy Surface Preparation) which can be purchased at any paint outlet and then simply slap on 2 coats of full gloss enemal paint and leave it for two weeks to let it cure. I have done the shower walls and floor in this way. Looks great so far but I'll check out the condition when my renter leaves the premises in a couple of months. I've done two using White Knight and I've done two so far using enemal paint. I'll post an update when I get in to see the wear and tear.

wombat

G'day Wombat

One year down the track, how are the various finishes holding up?

I am about to paint the tiles in a 1970s bathroom. Three different patterns of tiles, some have been used as repairs over the years, visually challenging!

Before I spend the next couple of days squished into the shower stall, I'd like to hear how the White Knight holds up to reasonable wear & tear.

Thanks

Kristine

Actually, Wombat posted in March, 2004, so perhaps anybody who has had at least twelve months could comment? And what about tiled floors - any experiences with painting the floors?

Last edited:
Interesting

HI there. I am planning on using the cheaper but still visually effective enamel paint for a reno & resale.

What brands have you been using besides white knight ($$)

ALso - same for tub & tile paint?

good tip with the ESP I will definitely use this!

Cheers all

alwayscurious

WOOO WOOO sorry. Still excited about recent developments WOOOO.

Kristine,

Results of the experiment are..

The shower walls and vanity splash backs have really performed well, both White Knight and standard Enamel paint still look as good as the day I painted them. Every body who sees them are impressed. –but – floors are a different story. White Knight or Enamel just doesn’t cut it. While it looks better than what they were previously, cleaner and brighter, its not very hardwearing – need constant touch ups. White Knight performs better on the floors than the Enamel but still requires touching up, wet area’s have a tougher time than the dry area’s.

The ideal solution for me is to re-tile over the existing ugly tiles, and paint all non traffic tile area’s. I will be doing the tiling short course at Holmsglen tafe and then I will be using these area’s to practice my newly acquired skill as I enjoy doing this kind of stuff.

wombat

Checked the ingredients on the White Knight Tile Cleaner and a bottle of sugar soap at about 25% of the price.

Identical.

I rang the White Knight helpline to ask if there was anything else in it as I didn't want to make a big mistake and wreck the job by using sugar soap. She freely admitted it was expensive sugar soap :)

BTW my tile paint is still holding up after 10 months and five uni students.....

Simon said:
I rang the White Knight helpline to ask if there was anything else in it as I didn't want to make a big mistake and wreck the job by using sugar soap. She freely admitted it was expensive sugar soap :)

I find this interesting... the smell of tilecleaner can drive me out of a room - its not an ammonia smell, but it has something in it that catches my breath.

Sugar soap on the other hand I can work with all day and have no problems.

Just checked my cupbaord, selley's sugar soap has no listed active ingrediant, whereas my white knight tile clear lists akaline salts as the thing that drives me from the room.

What have you got?

Jas

Jas,

From memory it was the alkaline salts that was the common ingredient. As a % it was almost identical in both products.

Give White Knight a call.

Cheers,

Back