Who changes and pays for light globes?

read it carefully, not that i haven't changed a light blub. for instance my lamp it's easy to do. but with light fitting, i dont know how to take them off to get to the light blub. there may be screws to undo or what not. hence if i'm on a chair holding the light cover it may slip out of my hand and break into pieces. or use too much force and it just crack cause its so old.

what's the solution then? a sparky could do the same thing.

forget global warming, we have a new issue!

Fantastic - this always intrigues me. Tenants states "there is an electrical fault" and then directly after requests an electrician at someone else's expense to check whether or not "there is an electrical fault"...cracks me up.
Really easy - you want an electrician - Fine - if its not my problem you pay.

Works a treat. after they get the first bill, no more calls.
we're talking resi here. it's always your problem. if it's not they will make a problem for you
I second this. For most items needing a tradie I tell them that if it is tenants fault, (or no problem at all, just a stupid tenant) the tenant pays for it.
I go one better than "tell them"; I add it as a special condition on the leases that any tradie call-outs which result in "no fault found" or "user error" are charged back to the tenant. I get far fewer call-outs these days... :D

I go one better than "tell them"; I add it as a special condition on the leases that....

Try sticking this in yer Lease and see how far ya get.

Tenant acknowledges at the start of the Lease all electrical fixtures and fittings are in good working order and shall henceforth promptly repair or replace throughout the Term of the Lease all damaged, broken or faulty light globes, fluorescent lights, power points, light switches, any other heating, lighting and electrical appliances, including all services and wiring in, over and under the Leased Premises;

That normally covers a little bit more than a couple of $ 3.00 globes.

Try sticking this in yer Lease and see how far ya get.
Yeah, not very, alas!
Dazz said:
That normally covers a little bit more than a couple of $ 3.00 globes.
It's not the $3 light globes that p*** me off, it's the $105 that the handyman charges to install them!!! (Happened to me once before I wised up.)

Agreed - the capital cost of most items requests are irrelevant.

It's either ;

• the callout fee and labour charges, or
  • your personal time and effort and risk to do it yourself

What really used to grate was when you were there fixing "insert whatever" and the useless by-stander was sitting there sipping coffee or on the phone telling their friends how rubbish the house was, and telling the listener they have been complaining about this for the past x weeks, and how they have a good mind to withhold rent next time "insert whatever" crops up.

It only took this little black duck 9 years before the penny dropped. Perhaps some people reading this (other than the masochists on here of course) will switch on quicker.

Funny you should mention that Dazz.

We had a new tenant in an IP and hubby was there installing a new clothes line. The PM had told the tenant that a handyman would be installing it for them. They had been in the property for less than a week. Tenant comes out for a yack to the "handyman" and proceeds to complain about the "rich tightar$e landlord" who she had to make repeated requests to before anything was ever done.

Needless to say, nothing else what done for her rather short stay in the property. ;)

huh?

I can’t believe this thread so okay I’ll bite …………..

Resi leases under my control include the following as well as other special clauses .....................

“The Tenant shall keep the premises clean and maintain all sanitary and water apparatus including tap washers, reticulation fittings, electrical and gas installations, electrical fan grills, air conditioner filters and all electrical fuses, in good working order (fair wear and tear excepted) and replace all light globes and fluorescent tubes and shall report all damages and any state of disrepair arising within 3 days of same occurring. Failure to do so will render the tenant liable for all costs incurred as a result of such failure.”

So, the tenant is responsible for these items. This does not mean that the tenant physically has to perform the repairs/ replacements if they do not feel competent to do it themselves, but it does mean they are responsible for having it done.

They are welcome to organise their own electrican / plumber / (insert trades persons) as the case may be …………..

nb: I have had a townhouse come to the end of its tenancy with about 11 dead globes (halogen spot lights and others). Personally, I don’t know how they managed so long, but replacement of globes (plus labour) was deducted from their bond prior to release.

My IP's are in NSW and as far as I'm aware the landlord is responsible for changing the lightbulbs, my PM has also confirmed this after checking with Dept of Fair Trading. As far as adding extra terms to the tenancy agreement making the tenant responsible for changing washers, cleaning carpet when lease ends, or any other repairs to the premises - they're not worth the paper they're written on - source: Dept of Fair Trading Renting Guide. It doesn't matter if the tenant agrees to these extra terms, they're not enforceable. Unless you're relying on the tenant being ignorant of this of course.

My IP's are in NSW and as far as I'm aware the landlord is responsible for changing the lightbulbs, my PM has also confirmed this after checking with Dept of Fair Trading. As far as adding extra terms to the tenancy agreement making the tenant responsible for changing washers, cleaning carpet when lease ends, or any other repairs to the premises - they're not worth the paper they're written on - source: Dept of Fair Trading Renting Guide. It doesn't matter if the tenant agrees to these extra terms, they're not enforceable. Unless you're relying on the tenant being ignorant of this of course.

Yes, and everything your PM tells you must be correct. NOT !!!
The person who answer the phone at the Dept of fair Trading is not the adjudicator, nor have they propbably even read the Act. We have these similar types of issues, a dozen times. It seems it is the landlord's duty to make sure their rights are protected. Not for the PM to make it easy for a tenant, and charge them for every little "call out" fee for their handyman.

Maybe you should actually read your Act for NSW. Unless it specifically states you cannot do something, you can.
I know, you can't be bothered, because you pay your PM to look after you.

We do know our ACT, and we sit home and count our money all day long (like a good landlord should :D

nb: I have had a townhouse come to the end of its tenancy with about 11 dead globes (halogen spot lights and others). Personally, I don’t know how they managed so long, but replacement of globes (plus labour) was deducted from their bond prior to release.

I recon I had one tenant move out because finally the last bulb blew and there was no further lights available.

I kid you not we couldn't find one working bulb.

Cheers

QLD best practice

I don't know what others do, but as the Act in Qld does not state who is responsible - it then comes down to common sense. (yes, I know, common sense is another debate issue!)

Owners should make sure the property is SAFE and all lights working at the start of the tenancy.

Tenants should be made aware they need to replace the light bulbs during the tenancy - if they cannot - they need to contact a handyman and pay for the callout.

At the end of the tenancy - the tenant must ensure all light bulbs are working.

I can’t believe this thread

Hey, I was saying the same thing way back on post # 30, but as you can see, there is a tad of confusion out there. I reckon it's because light globes are one of the very few areas where the Tenant has some onus to do something.

The level of pathetic-ness normally afforded to Tenants simply doesn't stoop as low as not being able to change a light bulb.....but as you have seen, some can't do it, a bayonet connection is way too technical, and the threat of suing from falling off a ladder seals the fate.

Poor ol' belleran the OP, got shafted by his PM's laziness / inattentiveness / lack of knowledge. I guess his clause in his Lease isn't as good as your clause Joe D, nor ozperp's for ressy tenancies.

What do you call a PM who doesn't manage ?? Just a P ?? Is a P allowed to charge as much as a PM ??

Should I be worried, considering I have a 4* foot tenant and 12 foot ceilings?

*ok, I'm exaggerating, but I'm 5'7" and I tower over her

Maybe you should actually read your Act for NSW. Unless it specifically states you cannot do something, you can.
I know, you can't be bothered, because you pay your PM to look after you.
We do know our ACT, and we sit home and count our money all day long (like a good landlord should :D

I HAVE read the Act. But how nice of you to presume that I don't care / know anything because - Oh the Horror! I actually use a PM.
Next time you are compelled to leave a rude reply, why don't you just sit back down and keep counting your money.

I HAVE read the Act. But how nice of you to presume that I don't care / know anything because - Oh the Horror! I actually use a PM.
Next time you are compelled to leave a rude reply, why don't you just sit back down and keep counting your money.

You were stating your PM also confirmed what the Dept of Fair Trading said.
You also think this is your responsibility.You were the one being rude by stating if a landlord added these clauses in a rental agreement, they were doing something wrong, and unenforceable.
Great PM you have there.

Golly, I'd just change the globes for them...or am I missing something?

The cost of the globes would outweigh the trouble you could cause yourself getting a tenant offside....but then again, I also send my tenants & PM a lil XMas basket every year too....

Good karma to all :)

You were stating your PM also confirmed what the Dept of Fair Trading said.
You also think this is your responsibility.You were the one being rude by stating if a landlord added these clauses in a rental agreement, they were doing something wrong, and unenforceable.
Great PM you have there.

No. Read my post. If you get over your superiority complex you might like to try also reading the rent guide and you'll see I wasn't "being rude" - I was passing on exactly what it said, the clauses it mentioned ARE NOT enforceable, this has nothing to do with my PM. This is as much time as I'm prepared to waste on this, so please find somebody else to troll.

Back