Who runs?

Do you regularly exercise?

• No, I don't

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I do a little but should be doing more..

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Yes, I make sure I get regular exercise.

Votes: 32 48.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I used to Box in my young days (16-20ish) and was running 5-10km per day at the time. I was very fit, and really enjoyed the sport and keeping fit in general.

I've recently started running at 6am in the morning before work and feel great!

As I don't play any sports anymore I need the regular exercise, and if its something you don't do at least once every few days I believe you're putting yourself at serious risk of many health problems.

Just thought I'd setup a poll. I think it would be interesting to hear what you all do?

Cheers!

Thats excellent! good on you. Not many people have the drive to ride to work, even if they live close by.

I've been watching 'The biggest loser' as of late and its inspired me to get back out there and into shape once again, I have to carry on though but I enjoy it once I'm out on the street so can't see it being a problem.

Running in the morning is the best exercise IMO. I'm riding my bike to work. It's good, but not as good as running.

My job has me on my feet walking, lifting heavy objects, squatting etc for the entire 8 hrs a day.
I know it is not the same as regular exercise, but it is more than someone who has an office job.

This will have to do, because I hate exercise :)

Was fat, slow and old then about 4 years ago started running and lost 18 kg. Used to run 35 - 40km/ wk but now only do 10 ish. Must get that run in every week or else. Just bought a crosstrainer so I can keep up the exercise during the week. Now I am slimmer, faster and 4 years older

You mean 4 years younger :)

Or is that 8?.. ;)

Was fat, slow and old then about 4 years ago started running and lost 18 kg. Used to run 35 - 40km/ wk but now only do 10 ish. Must get that run in every week or else. Just bought a crosstrainer so I can keep up the exercise during the week. Now I am slimmer, faster and 4 years older

I do basketball once a week and weights 2 or 3 times, i have been trying to get into running but at my peak could only do 7 or 8km constant and that was six to nine months ago.

One thing i have found which i prefer is HIIT basically a warm up jog of 5 inutes, 30 second sprint, 180 second jog, cycle sprint to jog. I do about 4 cycles and by the time i get home am stuffed. Makes me hungrier the next day and more tired straight after than the 7 to 8 km did ... all up it takes 15 minutes including me bitching about it and changing into my joggers.

Oh and another thing,

I've been weighing myself once a week since I started running, and I've been putting ON weight..!

I look slimmer, I'm not big but just a little chumpy around the guts.
I put this down to muscle mass, could this be right? I've also been using weights, bought a bench off a mate who's the sole source of income for his PPOR and is 'POOR' so it was a steal :D

Its kinda strange but this is all I can put it down to?
I've been eating the same.

Oh and another thing,

I've been weighing myself once a week since I started running, and I've been putting ON weight..!

I look slimmer, I'm not big but just a little chumpy around the guts.
I put this down to muscle mass, could this be right? I've also been using weights, bought a bench off a mate who's the sole source of income for his PPOR and is 'POOR' so it was a steal :D

Its kinda strange but this is all I can put it down to?
I've been eating the same.

yeh mate muscle weighs more then fat and also perhaps your body is storing more fat going into winter and retaining more water because you are exercising.

Be sure to get some cardio in while you're there Steve,
lifting weights wont stop your arteries from blocking up.

I've had a few scares recently with a few of my Dad's mates dying from heart attach and stroke, they're only in their 50's and had no prior warning.

Dad's in the Army so he gets plenty of regular exercise, it really makes you step back and realise that it could happen to anyone,
None of these people exercised at all apart from walking around at work but I wouldn't class that as exercise..

I think its something we should all take very seriously, if it could almost double your lifespan then its certainly worth it, plus, you feel so much better every second of the day for doing so.

Your life is more important than anything else.
PS, I'm not directing this at you, just got a little carried away.

Be sure to get some cardio in while you're there Steve,
lifting weights wont stop your arteries from blocking up.

Your life is more important than anything else.
PS, I'm not directing this at you, just got a little carried away.

Ha just as well, I'm fairly knowledgabe on the subject, used to be into bodybuilding years back. But you're right, cardio is important for the heart.

Never enjoyed it myself though. :D Gotten lazy on that front now, but will pick it up again one day. Diet is very important too, decided last week to start cutting back on my meal portions and add some extra shakes in again to keep the metabolism going. Bodybuilding is very time consuming if you want to do it right. :rolleyes:

Oh no... physical challenge!!

lol

Yes, I never put on a big amount of muscle, I didn't ever train to but was more lean and fast I guess, I can imagine it would be a full time occupation if you want to get HUGE.

Iron Mike was what I'd class a 'huge' and I loved his skill, he was still quite quick but just really powerful, I remember watching his 'greatest hits' video over and over again and it was just amazing, pitty hes a wad, but what do you expect I guess..

I also remember training with many different partners from other Gym's and its very suprising, some big guys would lack speed and power, or fitness, and at face value they were intimidating.
Other guys were tiny and not 'frightening' at all but looks can be deceiving, the worst beating I ever had was from a little 16 year old from overseas, he didnt look much on the bags but jesus.. enough said.
Another was featherweight 'mick O'malley' a professional from Melbourne, much smaller than I was at the time but he also gave me a hiding, just so fast and fit that I couldnt compete.

I also remember some other 'rough nut' walk in's, the gym was in a pretty bad part of town naturally so occasionally there'd be one or two float in off the street, these guys were the easiest to play with as they'd swing continuously with their head down for as long as they could and then its all over, none had the fitness and thought that boxing was just all about 'fighting' they'd never return,

Anyhow I'm rambling again, just reliving some things I'd forgotten over the years,

Cheers Steve, power on!

Ha just as well, I'm fairly knowledgabe on the subject, used to be into bodybuilding years back. But you're right, cardio is important for the heart.

Never enjoyed it myself though. :D Gotten lazy on that front now, but will pick it up again one day. Diet is very important too, decided last week to start cutting back on my meal portions and add some extra shakes in again to keep the metabolism going. Bodybuilding is very time consuming if you want to do it right. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
used to love running in my teens and early 20s. gave it away around 25.
did two marathons.
but it seriously wears out your knee cartilage and lumbar discs prematurely. (I am a physiotherapist amongst other things)

i recommend you mix it up a bit....
I ride a bicycle about 100-150km a week now....3-5 hours. love it....
but too much is hard on the neck and lumbar discs too...

same old story...get a mix of activities...we didn't evolve to do the same thing over and over driven by an addiction to endorphins.....

Politicians do a lot of running.

They stand and run because they want a seat.

And while they are standing, running and sitting, they're lying all the time.

I also remember some other 'rough nut' walk in's, the gym was in a pretty bad part of town naturally so occasionally there'd be one or two float in off the street, these guys were the easiest to play with as they'd swing continuously with their head down for as long as they could and then its all over, none had the fitness and thought that boxing was just all about 'fighting' they'd never return,

Anyhow I'm rambling again, just reliving some things I'd forgotten over the years,

Cheers Steve, power on!

I can imagine boxing would be a very energetic and tiring sport. Your mind constantly having to think as well as pacing around the ring and that's before you take into account the actual boxing! I'd say I'd be one of those guys that looks big but gets flattened by the tiny guy. :D

Back