Who runs?

Do you regularly exercise?

• No, I don't

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I do a little but should be doing more..

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Yes, I make sure I get regular exercise.

Votes: 32 48.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You never know, its just one of those things you have to try I guess. I imagine that anyone with the drive to succeed can, and would prosper.

It was fun in my younger years and I still have a tinkling for it every so often but only for fun, going pro is definitely a very hard thing to do and one must want it like nothing else.

It was very testing like you say, I've never done anything quite like it, really takes it out of you and a great sport.

I can imagine boxing would be a very energetic and tiring sport. Your mind constantly having to think as well as pacing around the ring and that's before you take into account the actual boxing! I'd say I'd be one of those guys that looks big but gets flattened by the tiny guy. :D

used to love running in my teens and early 20s. gave it away around 25.
did two marathons.
but it seriously wears out your knee cartilage and lumbar discs prematurely. (I am a physiotherapist amongst other things)

i recommend you mix it up a bit....
I ride a bicycle about 100-150km a week now....3-5 hours. love it....
but too much is hard on the neck and lumbar discs too...

same old story...get a mix of activities...we didn't evolve to do the same thing over and over driven by an addiction to endorphins.....

Like WW, I also was a runner. Never a sprinter.....long, slow distance. Did a few marathons, more half marathons and many 10 km fun runs. Also got into triathlons in my early thirties to spread the load a bit. I miss all of this :(

My running days are over for similar reasons outlined by Winston above. My physiotherapy days are also over; so, whilst Winston is a physio (amongst other things), I have had to re-invent myself a few times along the way.

These days plenty of walking, stretching, swiss ball (core) exercises and swimming. Upper body strength is taken care of by the latter. I don't kick when I swim and use a pull bouy so arms and shoulders/back get a work out. Also do some rresistance exercises in the water to spare the load on the spine from weights.

I like to keep moving by exercising within the constraints of the challenges that present.......Keep moving folks :)

It was very testing like you say, I've never done anything quite like it, really takes it out of you and a great sport.

My fiancee's best friends husband (????!) is a personal trainer into bodybuilding as well as martial arts. He's now also taken up Ultimate Fighting (not sure if that's what it's called in Aust?) ie. no holds barred fighting. Nicest guy and very quiet and unassuming, you'd never pick it. Been meaning to go see him fight, his wife is too scared to go watch!

Martial arts 4hrs / week. So bit of a mix of cardio and muscle building. Haven't down any weights for about 12 months.

Main problems are "getting older" joints, tendons, etc not working as well. Have to warm up and warm down, not as flexible, had a small tear in a leg muscle, shoulders not as firm as they used to be.

Need to warm up before surfing or the shoulders seize up afterwards and I have trouble turning head when driving to check blind spots and put seat belt on. Ankles lock up after running if I don't warm up and warm down. They joys of getting older.

But on the up side, fitter and healthier than I was 10 years ago. Can only do 50 pushups in a row but working towards 100.

Should be able to keep training for a long time to come.

Regards
Graeme

Thanks for the advice Winston,

Its good to have such people to speak with for advice.
Cheers!

used to love running in my teens and early 20s. gave it away around 25.
did two marathons.
but it seriously wears out your knee cartilage and lumbar discs prematurely. (I am a physiotherapist amongst other things)

i recommend you mix it up a bit....
I ride a bicycle about 100-150km a week now....3-5 hours. love it....
but too much is hard on the neck and lumbar discs too...

same old story...get a mix of activities...we didn't evolve to do the same thing over and over driven by an addiction to endorphins.....

Man that stuff's nuts!... I've seen it on TV and its no holes barred, crazy stuff, at least he enjoys it I guess... :D

My fiancee's best friends husband (????!) is a personal trainer into bodybuilding as well as martial arts. He's now also taken up Ultimate Fighting (not sure if that's what it's called in Aust?) ie. no holds barred fighting. Nicest guy and very quiet and unassuming, you'd never pick it. Been meaning to go see him fight, his wife is too scared to go watch!

I love running, but it doesn't love me anymore. We are having a trial separation of sorts.

Booty calls now and then. :D

Any more than twice a week and I get shin-splints and am out of action for about 3 months.

I go for rides up the Arthur's Seat road on the deadly-treddley these days, and do the odd run now and again along the foreshore trails.

Attachments

• home.jpg
    home.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 61
Man that stuff's nuts!... I've seen it on TV and its no holes barred, crazy stuff, at least he enjoys it I guess... :D

I got really addicted to it over in the States when we lived there. Watched it all the time.

They are THE toughest guys on earth.

Many times I've seen them fight on for 3 x 5 minute rounds, with both guys coated in blood like they've been sprayed with an aerosol can of red paint.

And never complain.

I once saw one of the Gracie brothers allow his opponent to break his arm in an armlock rather than tap-out and concede the match.

I used to run 5kms every morning at 5-6am, now I only do it 4 days per week and 2 days I ride my bike and the other day is a rest day! I love running first thing in the morning and watching the sun rise and just having that quiet time before heading off to work and all the noise & traffic etc. When I've been forced (due to illness) not to run I had major withdrawal symptoms and just don't think I'd ever be able to stop doing it completely - think I'll still be doing my shuffle with my I-pod at 6am when I'm 90! :)

I would love to be able to run long distances but I have an old back injury from my ice-hockey days which flares up after a while. During the hot weather I swam after work every day and played touch football once a week. Started playing soccer but broke my arm in the first pre-season "friendly" so not doing any excersise at all now apart from walking. Plan to buy a bicycle and ride to work, around town and along the highways once I heal. Not much car traffic on our highway just road trains but they are very cyclist friendly apparently.

My running days are over for similar reasons outlined by Winston above. My physiotherapy days are also over; so, whilst Winston is a physio (amongst other things), I have had to re-invent myself a few times along the way.
:)

would like to hear your story one day Player.....PM me if you like...I'll be in and out this weekend though...

I used to do a lot more exercise but have been finding it harder and harder to find the time. I quite enjoy being at the gym as it's nice to do something physical after all day sitting at a desk. Unfortunately its been a while since i've made it there!

I have been following the programme from the couch to 5k plan here http://www.c25k.com/

it's been great, i can usually always find 30 mins to go for a job and i am nearly up to 5k's!

There's a Wikipedia article on Whole Body Vibration here. It goes into how it works and research findings a bit.

Rixter, what sort of price are we talking about for a machine? I had a look on the WBV site and also the Galileo site and can't find any indication of prices.

GP

There's a Wikipedia article on Whole Body Vibration here. It goes into how it works and research findings a bit.

Rixter, what sort of price are we talking about for a machine? I had a look on the WBV site and also the Galileo site and can't find any indication of prices.

GP

Like most things you have a choice of low priced to higher priced products usually proportional to quality, after sales service & warranty's. Ive seen the cheaper models advertised on TV for under $1000 with no after sales set up service, just return to base warranty(at your cost), service & repairs . The model as shown on the WBV link I posted cost us $2300 with full in home set up after sales service, warranty & repairs .

Hope this helps

Ha just as well, I'm fairly knowledgabe on the subject, used to be into bodybuilding years back. But you're right, cardio is important for the heart.

Never enjoyed it myself though. :D Gotten lazy on that front now, but will pick it up again one day. Diet is very important too, decided last week to start cutting back on my meal portions and add some extra shakes in again to keep the metabolism going. Bodybuilding is very time consuming if you want to do it right. :rolleyes:

Your damn right it is. And very expensive!

Weights for me. I only do cardio when dieting for a comp.

Back