Whose been to Morocco?

Who's been to Morocco?

Hi all

We're going to cruise the Mediterranean in May and I'm looking at booking a coach tour to top off our trip.

Morocco looks interesting. I'd like to hear from anyone who has travelled there. Would you recommend it?

Cheers
Julie

Audentes fortuna juvat
Fortune favours the bold

Yes, yes, yes!!! I went in 99/00 and absolutely loved it; itching to get back. The so-called "imperial cities" (Fes, Meknes, Marrakech) are much more interesting than the newer, more Spanish-influenced, coastal cities (Tangier), in my view.

Fes, in particular, was our very favourite place, and nearby Meknes is not well known but also beautiful. The old city (medina) of Fes is one of the most interesting places on the planet, I'll venture. The Moroccan people are very hospitable, it's very safe, it's inexpensive, and it's full of history. Don't miss the Madrasa Bou Inania, an approx 1000 year old Islamic school.

In Marrakech, the el Bahia Palace and Ali Ben Youssef Madrasa (another old Islamic school) are fabulous, and the Djemaa el-Fna (night markets, with fire throwing and other attractions) are unmissable. There are mosques everywhere, only some of which are open to foreigners. Make the effort to find one and visit, for an insight into this fascinating religion.

I bought about a dozen beautifully decorated ceramics (similar to this) and 7 sets of tea glasses, all of which miraculously made it back to Australia undamaged, despite being checked on and not terribly well protected (just wrapped in clothes). I think I paid about $10 each for the plates and for each set of tea glasses, something like that.

Obviously I'm into history and culture; but there are also great beaches, lots of outdoor activities in the Atlas Mountains, and various other attractions.

Oh, I'm getting nostalgic and oh so envious... please promise you'll tell me all about it if you go?

Many fond memories of Morroco, especially being stuck high up the Atlas Mtns in a snow storm!! We were fascinated as we were on the edge of the desert.

Throughout my world travels Morroco has probably given me the most unique and very interesting memories. It definately has a wonderfully interesting culture. I would absolutely recommend a visit.

Sunshine

Thanks ladies for your responses. I had dinner with a friend last night who has been to Morocco twice and he echoed your enthusiasm. Now we've got to decide whether to do a tour or 'wing it' and do our own thing with a Lonely Planet book as a guide.
It's all so exciting!!

I guess if I'm going to be true to my motto (below) we'll wing it and go on an adventure.

Julie
Audentes fortuna juvat
Fortune favours the bold

Back