Why does this board love Frankston so much?

After reading so much about Frankston from money magazines about how its a good investment due to the new highway and they are going to rebuild the harbor etc etc and from many people from this board, I met a girl from seaford who is here in Sydney and she told me that Franskton, Seaford, Baxter and many of those suburbs are riddled with crime and unemployment (I guess that explains the low prices for houses). What exactly is the theory behind frankston's bright future?

Im looking for a place to invest early next year in either Qld or Vic and Ive got to admit since there is so much interest in Frankston Ive had a keen eye on the place as well, but after hearing this girls' opinion of the area (she lives there so she would know) and telling me to stay far away, I guess Im curious to hear from those that have invested there.

Thanks.

I purchased in Frankston last month, alot of the scum and doll bludgers are being pushed out to suburbs like Cranbourne and Pakenham.

Look at the prices either side Mt Matha & Seaford

I wouldn't even look twice at Baxter or Hastings.

Im looking for a place to invest early next year in either Qld or Vic and Ive got to admit since there is so much interest in Frankston Ive had a keen eye on the place as well, but after hearing this girls' opinion of the area (she lives there so she would know) and telling me to stay far away, I guess Im curious to hear from those that have invested there.

The following Melbourne suburbs were once considered 'rough' or 'undesirable' (some still are), but all have experienced high and in some cases exceptional capital growth:

Oakleigh
Mordialloc
Seaford
Braybrook
Doveton
Glenroy
Laverton
Port Melbourne
West Heidelberg
West Footscray

The girl might know a lot about the area, but how much does she know about real estate and investment?

Because the price growth has been exceptional over the last few years, and i bow my head to those sommersofters who identified it first.
HOWEVER for new commers you have to learn that just because the historical growth rate over the last x yrs was y% doesnt mean it will be repeated in the future.

To me its a bit like the resources boom, the higher share prices rocketed the more new naive investors jumped on the bandwagon.

This is not a put down on Frankston, to be honest i have no opinion on the suburb. My point is merely to warn against using historical figures to try to extrapolate future price trends.

I met a girl from seaford who is here in Sydney and she told me that Franskton, Seaford, Baxter and many of those suburbs are riddled with crime and unemployment
Thanks.

There are examples of crime and unemployment in many many areas. You need to visit the area you want to invest in, do some careful research on the potential of the area before you decide where to invest. I would checkout the employment opportunities, infrastructure, amenities (hospitals, leisure activities/attractions, public transport, parks and gardens, schools) to name a few. Check out the rental demand for the area and the types of tenants who will be attracted to property in the area.

Then, when you are satisfied that an area meets your critieria then invest. By all means take on board what the girl from Seaford has mentioned, but do some further research before making your investment decision.

I happen to have two IP's in Frankston. They have increased in value since I purchased in 2005 and 2006 respectively. I have drawn out the equity which is sitting in a LOC waiting further investment opportunities when the time is right. (Not necessarily in Frankston).

Regards Jason.

After reading so much about Frankston, I met a girl from seaford who is here in Sydney and she told me that Franskton, Seaford, Baxter and many of those suburbs are riddled with crime and unemployment .Thanks.

Unfortunately, everyone thinks they're an expert, so well done for researching this yourself. The ONLY way to go for me!

I've lived 3 years in the Frankston/Langwarrin area after moving here from Qld. A property developer/investor pointed out the area to me, of which I knew nothing about. I've now owned 4 houses around here in this time.

I immediately saw the potential; not just "looks okay", but in-your-face plainly obvious how great this place will become. The changes in these 3 years has been very noticeable to me.

Without doubt, the place still has some element of 'feral' to it but overall, these people are starting to move away. I haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary in regards to crime here, and from someone from Seaford to say that...Wow!! :eek: She might do well to look at her own backyard.:rolleyes:

If I had the money, the choice couldn't be any more obvious. Buy around this area (within a 10 minute radius of Frankston). I'd consider myself a complete an utter fool if I didn't do so at every opportunity.

After reading so much about Frankston from money magazines about how its a good investment due to the new highway and they are going to rebuild the harbor etc etc and from many people from this board, I met a girl from seaford who is here in Sydney and she told me that Franskton, Seaford, Baxter and many of those suburbs are riddled with crime and unemployment (I guess that explains the low prices for houses). What exactly is the theory behind frankston's bright future?

Thanks.

Frankston is somewhat larger than the average suburb and can range in price from the low 200's to the 1,000,000's. The area is beach side and the development happening here is exciting.

I moved here from Macleod, but grew up in Donvale and can say I have not been disappointed and would never look back. I could never live away from the beach again. The lifestyle here is great. Yes, there are still a few undesirables, but these are becoming less and less.

I have purchased 6 properties for myself over 9 years (sold 2). Purchased 2 for my sister and helped 6 friends buy 7 properties. We have all made significant dollars on our investments. I started buying here when it was allot worse and everyone snubbed their noses up at the area. But then, I have never been one to follow the masses:D and I think this has been what has made me, or should I say, us so successful!

There are so many different personal attitudes that I to could have listened to, but I wouldn’t be where I am today if I had. I only bothered with the facts.

Location to beach
University
Tafe
Frankston High School (one of the best in the state)
Public transport
Restaurants
Cinemas
Night Clubs
Bistros
Proposed Marina (Now happening, with may I add, a Ferry service)
2 Major shopping centres (each one having had major extensions recently and additional bulky goods site now currently being completed)
Talk of new freeway (now completed)
Wells Street (new entertainment centre now completed)
Development of Peninsula Centre (still waiting:rolleyes: never mind, may eventuate)
Kananook Creek Development (due to be started at the end of the year, to include restaurants, coffee shops and other shops, all over looking the bay)
Beautification of the foreshore
Restaurant (Sofias) on the beach
Tourist information centre (also on the beach)
Yacht Club, Now also restaurant on the beach
Boardwalk and probably more that I have forgotten

Frankston is being developed well beyond our small minds and those who have been brave enough, have done very well indeed. I’ve said it before, it’s too late when the ugly duckling becomes a beautiful swan! And Frankston time is coming.

Shine on baby!

Toni

Last edited:
Boardwalk and probably more that I have forgotten
Toni[/QUOTE]

And....
*Heaps of sporting reserves, nature reserves and parks,
including Frankston reservoir
*4 x Golf courses
*Aquatic centres
*Botanic gardens,
*Historcial and National Trust sites
*Theatre
*McCalland stulpture and art gallery (5ha)
*Home of the Murdoch Family
*Best sustainability managed suburb

Sorry Toni, with such a fantastic list I just had to add my part.
SS

I met a girl from seaford who is here in Sydney and she told me that Franskton, Seaford, Baxter and many of those suburbs are riddled with crime and unemployment

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Daniel, Some people blinded by the minor bad things that may happen to them and loose sight of the big picture.

Frankston is a bay suburb, surrounded by fantastic reserves and parks,
with infrastructure that would be the envy of most other suburbs. To
tell the truth, I cannot think of anything the Frankston does not offer.
Thereis something here for everyone. Slowly but surely old homes
are being replaced by new ones or are being renovated or other general
improvements eg gardens... the change is noticable.

I have been here nearly eight years and live in the heart of Frankston,
I have never experienced or heard of any crime in my area that would
cause me to lose sleep or move. However, the train station can be
disparaging more often than not and hoon drivers can be a pain at times.
Gentrification or police management will address the issues in time.
Many areas have these issue, Frankston is not unique with these issues.

House Prices.
Frankston is a suburb of markets within markets within blocks, within
streets, the medium is not a reliable indicator for Frankston. I have
scouted around for the last few weeks trying to weigh up the issues
of the world and the right property & price. I'm still looking.

My low/high house price observations have been :-
Nth Frankston :- low $180k to high $300k
Karingal :- low $230k to high $430k
Marylands :- low $250k to high $450k (Lakeside the same)
South Frankston :- low $300k to high $650k
Olivers hill :- 1m+

All areas have there bad points but balance them out against the good
points.

Ss

It also has a strip club called Kittens at the main intersection in the main st, you can't miss it, just look for the historic building they painted black and slapped a few pink signs from.

Hopefully once all the "bogans" leave the club will to. :mad:

It also has a strip club called Kittens at the main intersection in the main st, you can't miss it, just look for the historic building they painted black and slapped a few pink signs from.

Hopefully once all the "bogans" leave the club will to. :mad:

Presumably this is "having a go", but again I'll say, this occurs in many areas,
including inner, middle and outer suburbs and is not unique to Frankston only.

Unless one makes it there preference.

Thank you Southsider, I really appreciated your additional list.

Toni

My pleasure Toni, I just had the best day yesterday, so I'm all Frankston hyped at the moment.

* On the course just after dawn with Dad
* Then with Dad and his wife, took Bob (choc lab) to pet's day out at
Ballam Park
* Then Lunch at Harry's cafe, McCelland gallery
* Then a relaxing afternoon at Cruden Farm. Even had a quick chat with
lady Murdoch "hello mam"

SS

when i bought my house in 2006 people were saying are you nuts ? but i too saw the possibilities of this area , i was muttering to myself ..3km to beach and and a nature reserve and all conviniences 500m from my door! gotta be a winner!

horray for frankston!

cos my Great grandfather came from Victoria - captain of the Geelong footy club back in 1907.

He owned all that suburb as a farm and had a son called Frank - my grandfather - that's why the suburb has the name Frankston.

Frank was a dreadful alcoholic and eventually sold it all down and squirted it up against his local urinal. Dad got bugger all in the end....so I'm quite determined to buy as much of it back as possible.

We've nearly got 3 full streets back, but it's cost us a pretty penny, even had to make do without a washing machine for a few weeks to buy that last place.

Presumably this is "having a go", but again I'll say, this occurs in many areas,
including inner, middle and outer suburbs and is not unique to Frankston only.

Unless one makes it there preference.

Yes, but my point being that this strip club is located at the main intersection in Frankston.

I had lunch at Davey's Hotel last weekend and all I could see was a Black see of paint and Pink, not to mention all the familes who walked pasted to which I overheard saying lets get in the car and go to mornington.......

lol, its frankston, not frankson ;)

cos my Great grandfather came from Victoria - captain of the Geelong footy club back in 1907.

He owned all that suburb as a farm and had a son called Frank - my grandfather - that's why the suburb has the name Frankston.

Frank was a dreadful alcoholic and eventually sold it all down and squirted it up against his local urinal. Dad got bugger all in the end....so I'm quite determined to buy as much of it back as possible.

We've nearly got 3 full streets back, but it's cost us a pretty penny, even had to make do without a washing machine for a few weeks to buy that last place.

Yes, but my point being that this strip club is located at the main intersection in Frankston.

I had lunch at Davey's Hotel last weekend and all I could see was a Black see of paint and Pink, not to mention all the familes who walked pasted to which I overheard saying lets get in the car and go to mornington.......

Hi Undercover, people are entitled to their opinion, I am wondering if this is also your opinion? I have lived here for 9 years and have heard some great things about this area. Some insist on holding onto the negative and that's fine. That attitude is slowly dying out. It can also depend on what you want to tune into, or see!

I have not allowed these statements or opinions to get in the way of my decision to invest in an area that has it all.

Toni

Back