Why does this board love Frankston so much?

Not everybody can afford to invest in Sorrento or Portsea. Frankston is a good area for people like myself starting out.

True Bayside, but Frankston will be more than just an area for people to start out. Frankston is an up and coming area and I believe it will be highly sought after. It has more going for it than what people give it credit for.

Everyone keeps forgetting Frankston is a "City on the Bay". The Kananook Creek Boulevard is close to becoming a reality, with works scheduled to commence before the end of 2008.

Tenders for the Marina are expected in Feb '08. (amongst many others, these are the main two that will see significant changes in this area. Then would be the development of the Peninsula Centre.

Frankston City - Our Economy at a Glance - Frankston City News Oct 2008

Revenue - 7.1 billion Economy

Of the $7.1 billion revenue generated in Frankston City, 29.7 per cent is from manufacturing sector, the largest industry in the city. Although there is a perception that Frankston is a retail dominant city, retail trade accounts for just 10.9 per cent of the gross revenue generated. Meanwhile, the other significant industry sectors contributing to the local economy are property and business services (12.5 per cent) and construction (11.4 per cent)

Employment - 33,500 jobs

Frankston City's employment is centred on retail trade, health and community services, manufacturing and education. Over 60 per cent of the City's employment lies in these industry sectors, with over 7,400 in retail trade and 5,700 in health and community services.

A Growing Economy

Census data from 2001 and 2006 indicate Frankston has a growing economy over this period, there have been 900 jobs created in health and community services and 500 jobs in retail trade. Overall, there has been a 10 percent increase in the number of jobs in Frankston City.

In the same period, the economy has generated an extra $800 million in gross revenue, which equates to an overall growth of over 11 per cent.

One quarter of this growth can be attributed to Frankston City's manufacturing sector, which grew by $200 million over the five year period.

Annual Business Survey

Each year the Economic Development team undertakes a survey of the business community to gain a better understanding of the trends and issues facing our local economy. It also helps us to better plan our activities and target where our business support resources would be best directed.

This year's survey revealed:-

50.5 percent of the respondents established their business in frankston between 2000 and 2007.

55.2 per cent of the respondents chose Frankston for their business to be close to home, 27.4 per cent saw the business potential and opportunities and 23.8 per cent made the lifestyle choice.

16 per cent of the respondents indicated they had relocated an existing business to Frankston from elsewhere, with original locations spanning up the bayside corridor, south east Victoria and interstate.

Accommodation, cafes and restaurants, retail trade, manufacturing and personal and other services reported the greatest capital investment in the past financial year

Transport and storage, health and community services and cultural and recreational services were the industries expecting an increase in capital investment in the 2008-2009 financial year.

72.5 per cent of the respondents reported an expected increase in business turnover in the 2008-2009 financial year.

The greatest strength and competitive advantage of operating a business in Frankston, identified by 52.1 per cent noted the central location of Frankston in relation to reaching the Mornington Peninsula and Melbourne, Affordability, lifestyle, development/potential and accessibility were also highly rated by respondents.

Interestingly despite Frankston's central location being described as a competitive advantage by 51.2 percent of the respondents, 26.2 per cent cited the City's distance from Melbourne as a competitive disadvantage.

This area has huge potential and I for one have believed this for many years. How can it not? Frankston is not only being developed as a tourist destination, it is a commutable City on the Bay.

Toni

Last edited:
Thanks for the personal insults. Nice to see the people of Frankston live up to their names and class, you guys do alot to show the true character of Frankston people......

I simply don't agree with your pipe dream. You can post all your 'media press' and facts and stats, but end of the day its still just Frankston, good old Franga's.

Sure it might clean it's self up, but I think that is still over 10-15 years away, by then we would of already had a whole property cycle and money would be better used elsewhere. Only people that live there or invest there ever go there. Until people actaully start wanting to shop and spend their sunday there, it has no hope of being this grand mecca you make it out ot be.

Sitting on Frankston now is like frezzing bread.

A one-bedroom in Toorak is better then a 2-bedroom in Franga's,

I got one for 245K in June 08 spent 5k on reno, rents now for $320p/w

Yeilding over 6.5%, vauled at 310K

Had around 45 applications, tenant paid 12 months in advance rent as well.

In these times, property within the inner blue chip 5-10km ring of melbourne is my pick.

A one-bedroom in Toorak is better then a 2-bedroom in Franga's,

I got one for 245K in June 08 spent 5k on reno, rents now for $320p/w

Yeilding over 6.5%, vauled at 310K

Had around 45 applications, tenant paid 12 months in advance rent as well.

In these times, property within the inner blue chip 5-10km ring of melbourne is my pick.

Well done! Sounds like a good investment. No one knows the future of anyone area, we can only follow what we believe.

Toni

Last edited:
For someone so not into Frankston Undercover sure spends alot of time in the Frankston thread.

I was in Frankston visiting a friend only a few weeks ago, so its fresh in my mind.

Like I said earlier, I just might like Frankston for my next IP and I'll talk the place down to ensure like minded investors don't get in my way on the weekend whilst I try and buy :D

Seriously, I think it was great prospects, in my opinion the chepest are to buy near the water with all the features of a major city.

I just can't keep affording the $10 eastlink trip to check out possible IP's!!

I was in Frankston visiting a friend only a few weeks ago, so its fresh in my mind.

Like I said earlier, I just might like Frankston for my next IP and I'll talk the place down to ensure like minded investors don't get in my way on the weekend whilst I try and buy :D

Seriously, I think it was great prospects, in my opinion the chepest are to buy near the water with all the features of a major city.

I just can't keep affording the $10 eastlink trip to check out possible IP's!!

One of those $10 trips might make you many tens (or hundreds) of thousands down the track.

What have people's observations about property prices in frankston in the last month or so? Still on the increase? Or slowing-dropping?

Not sure if this has been said (havent read all the replies). My tip (for what it is worth) for Frankston is you cant just buy anywhere within the suburb. Its not like some areas where you simply throw a dart and expect to win.

As far as crime is concerned I would say the blue chip areas (where I own also) such as St Kilda, Elwood etc are just as bad, there is no difference.

If you are looking to buy there, go South Frankston, as close to the cliff as you can get. It is a blue-chip pocket within a standard suburb.

What have people's observations about property prices in frankston in the last month or so? Still on the increase? Or slowing-dropping?

Not sure, but from looking on realestate.com.au basic minimum prices for 3bdrms, on min 500m2 blocks are as follows:

Frankston South (FHSZ) 3 properties ranging between $330 - 360 and 1 with no car accom $300-330

Frankston North 5 properties $200-220.

Frankston 7 properties $248-260, 1 property had no car accom and 1 was $260+

I know this is not quite the answer you are looking for, but haven't been really looking lately. Perhaps someone else might know a little more.

Toni

I just purchased a lovely place in Frankston North (Bursaria Crescent)
$218k
It's on a 715sqm regular shaped block. 3 bedrooms and 2 living areas.
Double Garage, in stoked with it! 2.5km down Seaford Rd to the beach and 400m to the new home of the St Kilda Footy club. 100m to Aldi, Chemist, Pizza Shop, Pub, Bottle Shop, Service Station, Chinese Shop, Newsagency, IGA Supermarket, Doctors............
Good times!

intersting reading

Frankston property investors are no different to those looking to capitilise in other suburbs. For those of you who think that investing in certain 'hot spot' suburbs will guarantee you a quick return on your investment, think again. For ever and ever, the guiding voices of this forum have given the advice that the key to investing in property, whether it be Frankston or other, is WAIT YOUR TURN. It won't happen overnight but it will happen! I will admit my interest in the Frankston market is purely proffesional, but from an agents perspective, please read on... we aren't all lyers and cheats. lol
Those who monitor the market and those in particular who invest in our fabulous seaside town will be well aware that property prices have gone the opposite way to which they were this time last year. Read on...

Almost daily I receive a phone call from first time and once 'short term' property investors who have purchased no more than 18 months ago, asking me for advice and guidance on the market and begging me to tell them that there property has increased by 50k to 100k. The blunt end of the stick hurts.

Results speak for themselves. On the market, $349k; SOLD $290k is becoming all too common. Make sure you can afford the investment long term, because while buying in this market is fantastic, selling in it isn't.

Wise words from funkysouth, I like that "wait your turn".

I think there are definately a few fire sales at the moment also in this area i.e. people selling on the speculation of bad things to come. There are definately a lot on the market in certain pockets (from my brief assessment) and less buyers (propbably speculating on bad things to come).
It is definately a buyers market there at the moment.

Love Frankston.

Because the price growth has been exceptional over the last few years, and i bow my head to those sommersofters who identified it first.
HOWEVER for new commers you have to learn that just because the historical growth rate over the last x yrs was y% doesnt mean it will be repeated in the future.

To me its a bit like the resources boom, the higher share prices rocketed the more new naive investors jumped on the bandwagon.

This is not a put down on Frankston, to be honest i have no opinion on the suburb. My point is merely to warn against using historical figures to try to extrapolate future price trends.
You would have to be blind not to be able to see the potential in Frankston, it's a no brainer. It's bay side, pretty town centre, surrounded by the mega rich, ok may have a few problems with crime etc, but so did Port Melbourne, who cares about the demographics, they change, people move on, I think Frankston is the bargain suburb of Victoria, and I don't even own anything there.

Wise words from funkysouth, I like that "wait your turn".

I think there are definately a few fire sales at the moment also in this area i.e. people selling on the speculation of bad things to come. There are definately a lot on the market in certain pockets (from my brief assessment) and less buyers (propbably speculating on bad things to come).
It is definately a buyers market there at the moment.

There are literally no buyers. I think there is a stalemate in the market (gross generalisation I know). I guess I am saying that in the suburbs that I track. But in saying that, vendors are prepared to sit on their price to see if they can still get it, despite taking months to sell.

If the economy worsens then I would agree, there will be bargains. At the moment, the Gun Fight at the OK Carroll has been paused.

if its that bad why does she live there?

Actually, acording to the Vic Police's website, crime in Frankston/Seaford has been falling! This cannot be said of most other areas: I considered buying cheapies in Werribee but was put off for this reason. There's less violent crime in Frankie than in Geelong or the Melb city centre. And if your friend hated it so much, she would have moved out. Right?

Back