Why is there so much nastiness around

Yep; decency is a dying trend. My 2c worth;
Is it? Or when people do decent things for each other, do we just not bother posting because we all like having a good grump (me too! :D)

Maybe we need to start a 'random acts of kindness' thread to balance out the negativity in this thread... :p

For example, in Perth there is a temporary walkway through the new city square project. A guy in a hurry dropped with wallet and another guy saw it, grabbed it and ran after the first guy calling out to him. I was pleasantly surprised. The guy could have pocketed the wallet and no one would have known.

Hmmmm - can't say I agree with the finger, when you've been chastised for doing something wrong and could've caused an accident.

I am certainly not a perfect driver - as my daydreaming tends to wander on occasion - so when I do something stupid (like cutting off) I find a "whoops" apologetic shrug makes a huge difference ...

Admit I'm also a much more tolerant driver as I get older as just can't be bothered with the stress of being strung up about it ... possibly comes from being caught behind tractors towing big bins of wine grapes or harvesters or wine tankers :D

I just don't understand why people have to be out and out rude if somethings not exactly to their expectation. I must be getting old

Attachments

• WP_20150204_001.jpg
    WP_20150204_001.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 103
Mark,i have an BRW,Australia's Youngest Millionaires from oct 31 ,2012,and there is a standout quote from the internet sales entrepreneur "Ruslan-Kogan" and the quote he likes to use is"WER'E NOBODY'S B####",people should live by that quote..

I remember reading that issue. That Kogan fella is one impressive dude. Also, I agree wholeheartedly that men should live by that quote.

People are nasty because they are unhappy and they are unhappy because they are not growing, not spiritually, not emotionally, not financially. They are stuck!

This is so true ... as a teen I hate my life (as most teens do).

I didn't fit into the school system in the early 80's being "entrepreneurial wired" (which was a big no-go for girls) - I had trouble making friends as was always "over the top" and over eager to please - didn't get on with my siblings (totally different personality types) - and didn't have any real sort of conversational relationship with my parents and felt I was a constant disappointment.

I was really unhappy - and in turn a real negative *itch - always criticising and trying to drag others down to my level. Married badly (and young) just as a means to escape - worked in dead end jobs I hated ...

Wasn't until my early 30's, and my marriage ended, that I was forced to really look at myself - and be dependent on myself. Then I started to work on "why I am like I am" and change.

A big realisation was that "you can only control your own actions".

Now I'm in a happy place where I can make my own choices and chose my own path and know that I can rely on myself ... strangely life is so much easier and relaxed.

I guess there have always been these nasty, rude people - they just have an outlet nowadays.

Ah - some sense is coming to light regarding the "nasty" trip adviser review.

This is a person who has done dozens of reviews - I read several of them and they came across strongly as a 30-something female who likes to swan around expensive overseas resort swimming pools ... only to find out they are a 60-something male who classes themselves as an international foodie.

... read into that whatever you like

Last edited:
In a few posts people have mentioned the fast pace of life that leads to rudeness.

A while ago I was in the Maccas drive through with the wife and kids and there was about a 30 second wait at the window. I was getting impatient waiting 30 seconds for my hot lunch and my wife was laughing because I was acting like it was the longest wait ever. First world problem, much? :eek:

At the risk of starting World War 3, I'll state this:

I work in retail. I deal with hundreds of members of the public every week. It has blown me away to realise that (in my humble opinion anyway) by far the nicest, most well-mannered demographic is the 18 year - 30 year old Male. Of course there are exceptions but...

It saddens me when I see them being absolute young gentlemen to the likes of older ladies and sometimes not even receiving a simple "thank you".

I work in retail. I deal with hundreds of members of the public every week. It has blown me away to realise that (in my humble opinion anyway) by far the nicest, most well-mannered demographic is the 18 year - 30 year old Male. Of course there are exceptions but...

It saddens me when I see them being absolute young gentlemen to the likes of older ladies and sometimes not even receiving a simple "thank you".

This doesn't surprise me. Through some younger relatives (turning 18 this year) and one of my businesses which deals with a lot of the 18-21 market I've spent a fair bit of time with kids lately and a lot of them really have their heads switched on and are good people.

This whole "the youth of today are crap" is a myth imo

Oh yes - older people are very often the worst ... not sure whether they think they are entitled to because they are old ...

No arguments from me. I noticed the 'this generation is worse than the last' comment earlier and meant to comment that is not my experience. The nasty people I have seen lately have all been middle aged. On the train, I see plenty of young people give up their seats for older people.

It's interesting customers with a very self-entitled attitude dealing with service people. It really doesn't take any effort to say please and thank you. I always do and I feel like it makes the transaction more pleasant.

On that note, many people on my bus line thank the bus driver as they leave the bus. I always found it a bit odd, even though I do it myself. Still, I would thank a service person, retailer or bank teller, so why not a bus driver?

This doesn't surprise me. Through some younger relatives (turning 18 this year) and one of my businesses which deals with a lot of the 18-21 market I've spent a fair bit of time with kids lately and a lot of them really have their heads switched on and are good people.

This whole "the youth of today are crap" is a myth imo
I think there is some merit to some of the criticism about attidudes to work. That said, I was not a very good employee at that age, so I think it might be more age related than generational.

The last business we had was much the same demo, but we went 10 and up, mainly male, the vast majority were great but the Mothers ! Aaarrgghh :eek::eek:

(I should add that my wife got that way in the end that she would make other staff deal with some of the regular "Mothers")

Question - how do you react when someone is nasty/rude?

I don't remember the last time a person was rude to me.

I guess I would either say "please don't speak to me that way"..or give them a WTF look, shake my head and just walk away.

Back