Why you can’t invest now

I just thought of a great idea, im going to get my kids to register for an ABN, and then when they do stuff around the house they can invoice me for services rendered.

Therefore i can claim my payments to them as tax deductible.........cause i will register a business at our PPOR.....and they can be schoolkids and subcontractors at the same time......sometimes i surprise myself..........:D

Great idea! You can help them with their homework and BAS at the same time! Seriously though - how would that work with GST and all.

Hi there.

This is probably a bit off the track, but John@IWC reminded me of it. Recently, my son (who is going into grade 11) and I went to a special evening organised by the high school, for this age of students. It was a very informative evening, with two points that especially stuck in my mind.

1. 4 out of 5 students who leave school at grade 12 DO NOT go to university.

2. Regardless of the line of work that you wish to go into, the only three things that you need are the best marks you can achieve in Maths, English and Science.

Food for thought.

Mike,

never too old, never too young (unless your a toddler:D

the right time is now........

brains, I'm not being 100% serious when I asked the question although it does raise an interesting point. If you were to register your children with ABN's and invoice them for household jobs so that you can claim on tax, wouldn't your children need to charge you GST and wouldn't they then be able to claim back the GST or pass it on? I'm not entirely sure how this would work although I agree it would be great education in running a business and making money rather than just being told to get good grades and get a government job...

"If you were to register your children with ABN's and invoice them for household jobs so that you can claim on tax, wouldn't your children need to charge you GST and wouldn't they then be able to claim back the GST or pass it on? I'm not entirely sure how this would work although I agree it would be great education in running a business and making money rather than just being told to get good grades and get a government job"

Natmarie,

I think you mean they would invoice you for household jobs?

But I was joking to start with and being a little bit sarcastic.
I disagree with what you're saying:

Adults and businesses should register for ABNs and kids should be kids, they have plenty of time for that stuff later.

Wayne

Yeah that's what I meant. I wasn't sure if you were joking or serious but it could be a way to get kids into the idea of owning/running a business by maybe having a "mock" business (no ABN's, GST etc).

For what it's worth, I don't think you need to register for GST unless income is > $50K per annum.

Not planning on giving your kids *that* many chores are you?

:)

Hi All,
this is going back to earlier posts, but I have only just jumped onto this thread.
We were told by my 11 year olds teacher 2 yrs ago ( in yr 3) that we had to teach times tables at home as she didn't have enough class time to devote to them. Most parents at this meeting were Ok with this(some doing it already), but questioned why??
Teacher said that so many new topics were now in the curriculum (ie computers, child protection etc) and she still had the same amount of time in the day! School days are really quite short, and there is too many important "basic" subjects to learn.

If times tables are out, What hope has financial education got?????

Remember don't push your kids to get A's all the time. Give them options, see what they like and push them towards their passion.

I once knew a girl who was pushed by her parents to get straight A's. Well she did, she got the top 1% in QLD when she graduated from grade 12, she could do anything in university, however her parents allowed her to go live by herself and do whatever she wanted after she graduated because they were now no longer responsible for her well being, their thinking was that as long as they pushed her to the max till she graduated that was it, after that she is a free person.

Well she is now working full-time as a checkout girl in Target and she plans to stay in that position for a very long time. I guess the reason why she is working at Target and did not proceed through university or a higher career is that through her entire life she was forced and pushed around so much. She just got so sick of it and just settled down with a suitable job.
:confused: :(

Conecrned Uncle

As a uncle of a 12yo bright niece, 10yo gifted niece and a 6yo nephew. I can taken up the banner of a male role model for then in leui of the father which is divorced from my sister.

I only started seeing them about 2 1/2 year ago since I couldn't stand the loser husband. Enough said there, every family has at least one.

I get involded with the kid by asking them what they want to be.
The 12yo wants to be a lawyer,vet,marine biologist, zoologist.
It changes very often. (most all deal with aminals of one sort or another). Hopefully she will be a lawyer. Since she likes argueing.

The 10yo wants to be a artist or a physiotherapy. Hopefully a physiotherapist since they actually earn a wage. But she is creative in painting and sculpting.

The 6yo want to be a mechanic or ninja. (Go figure).

Though the 6yo is still learning maths and english the 2 girls are already earning a wage from me by helping me house hunt.

I get them to do 20-25 suburbs I have chosen in which I want to invest in. The have a set procedure.
- They circle the ads of houses in a certain range and criteria.
- The get the medium rent paid for that type of house in that area.
- They work out the yields for each circled property.
- They write each down on a single piece of paper.

For this they get a pay of $5 for every 10 they hand me.

Yes, I hear you, I am cheapstake.

My sister is happy she doesn't hear from them on the weekend so she can spend her time studing and they are getting better at finding real estate. A good one was around the corner from their house so we walk there when it was open. (-a real reno was needed).

I hope that this and paying monopoly and cashflow for Kids with them will help their financial education.
That and going to collect rent with Grandma and Opa.

In closing, I will help them be who they want to be and encourage them to invest there paycheck wisely.

Respect, Peace, Out.

OPM-addict.

Dear guys,

Revisiting the original topic of the thread "Why you can't invest now".

We will always come across "gunna's" in anything that we do.............

Some will take action.............. Most won't.

Are there any tactics/methods that others have found particularly successful in motivating "gunna's" in the investing arena or case studies/stories they would like to share?

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Sunstone,
You're spot on with the motivation factor. Some people will find excuses to do nothing, no matter what you say or what example you set. That's life. There are simply some people risk averse or close minded to new ideas, and that's fine. It's their decision, after all.

I have found that, though I'm not a preacher by any means, my own enthusiasm has been enough to get some of my family members thinking outside the square, and doing things they never would have done previously ie: buy investment properties, change accountants, question financial so called advisers etc.
It's actually refreshing to talk about something new at family get togethers too :)

I have recommended various books to ppl, and though not all of them have taken my advice to go and read, some have and have changed their financial ways. Very exciting actually. I want my family and friends to retire comfortably so we can all take those cruises together :)

Back