Wow factors to add value to a house

We're building a new house at the moment (contemporary style). And am also slowly renovating my very run down house.

I was just interested in what people consider as some of the wow factors in houses. Preferably ones that won't break the bank.

Here is what I have so far but would love to hear some of your ideas.

In the master bedroom:
1. Modern, contemporary wallpaper as feature wall to add interest
2. Hanging pendant lights from the ceiling instead of lamps on bedside tables
3. Flat screen TV on the wall (I think you can pick up a 30" fairly cheaply these days)

In the bathrooms:
1. Floor to ceiling tiles
2. Big rain water shower head with LED lighting
3. Double size shower with his and her shower heads
4. Cut outs in the shower wall to put your shampoo and conditioner
5. Free standing balth tub

Sorry for the long post.

Angel

Are you looking to sell the house or rent it out?

Are there any non load-bearing walls that can be removed to open up the area?

Can it do with a paint job?

Is it a brick home? An external render can do wonders - would only consider it if selling though....I'd probably say the same for the other two suggestions above as well.

Cheap accessories such as towel rails and toilet roll holders can add a nice little touch.

New window fittings also help. Some online stores offer pretty decent prices.

Cheers

Jamie

I like the sounds of all (and am doing most in the reno I'm doing at the moment) except for the LED lights in the shower head. Not for me - when I'm in the shower I don't really want to feel like I'm in a night club.

I'm entertaining the idea of putting a tv on the wall in the bathroom of my ppor so I can lay in the bath and watch tv but I don't think I use the bath enough or watch enough tv to justify it. Still be kinda cool though.

Paint, nice floors, good window treatments and light fittings, and nice landscaping.

If selling, declutter, borrow some furniture if need be (if yours is daggy), and use nice decorator items.

If the house you're building is in an upmarket area, the extras might be a necessary touch, but otherwise I'd concentrate on creating visual appeal and practicality (good design).

I know what you're trying to do because there is nothing worse nowadays than walking into a house and it looks like every other spec home ... especially when you getting up into the big money.

I wouldn't do pendant lights for bedside because you might have a queen, but the next people might have a king - or they don't want to put the bed exactly in that spot etc. Same with TV on wall ... have the TV on a really nice dresser instead.

Also wouldn't bother with led lights in shower - but rainwater showerhead and double shower is good.

Wallpaper would be a wow feature - you need something to make it look "not" like same old, same old.

Tiles to ceiling in bathroom - but continue the floor tiles up one wall for a "feature" wall - perhaps up the side of the bath (if not freestanding) and then up the wall behind bath, or up the shower walls. Also, saw on renovators a double light hung low-ish over the bath - looked awesome.

I went thru a house the other week that was on the market for around $1.5mil - it was in a good location but it was obviously a spec home with cutout bits in the wall between formal lounge and hall etc. Very disappointed.

I'd suggest going thru a few open homes in the next price bracket up from you and look for something a bit quirky but classy.

Thanks for your replies guys, they are very helpful.

Jamie M, the house we are building is to be sold (a spec home) in the low to mid 800s depending on the market at the end of the year. We realize it's a bad market for our price range.

That's why it's so important to get some of the wow factors right.

Kassee, I take it you're not a singer and dancer in the shower? Lol. The LED showers as far as I know have the option to turn the light off and they don't use electricity, the colour changes as water pressure changes.

Weg, We've been thinking about getting a home stylist in and hiring furniture but it's really expensive from what I hear. We'd be looking at $6K - $7K I think.

Lizzie, great point about pendant lights. I didn't even think about the bed sizes. You've got me really curious about the low hanging lights over the free standing bath. It sounds fab. Do you know where I might be able to view a picture of it?

Lizzie, great point about pendant lights. I didn't even think about the bed sizes. You've got me really curious about the low hanging lights over the free standing bath. It sounds fab. Do you know where I might be able to view a picture of it?

go to www.renovatorstv.com.au. It was (I think) the first show where they renovated the entire house that was bought into the warehouse.

p.s. Re the kitchen - don't worry about expensive brands (miele etc) as we have found that makes no difference to selling price. Just make sure they are stainless, new and shiney, and that you have a fan forced oven with grill (preferably separate)! We have found Westinghouse (make sure it's a well known reliable brand) to be just as good for selling and half the price.

For the benchtops - you must, must, must have stone. But don't get trapped into choosing Caeserstone. It is just a brand name owned by Harvery Norman - but they charge up to 50% more because of brand recognition. There are 3-4 other brands that are exactly the same but heaps cheaper ... and even cheaper is to go down to the stonemasons yourself and get them to make it and install (cut out middle man).

Just make sure they are stainless, new and shiney, and that you have a fan forced oven with grill (preferably separate)! We have found Westinghouse (make sure it's a well known reliable brand) to be just as good for selling and half the price.
Heh, you just described our oven :D

Don't forget the garden. Who cares that your shower lights up if the house looks crap from the street?

It really depends on your target market. The OP said her target price range was ~800k. Not sure about the area but I think when you are trying to sell a house around the $1m mark people expect decent quality appliances, sinks etc. You don't have to go for Miele or Gaggenau but I think Westinghouse is a little on the cheap side. At least go for Smeg

We're building a spec home with the intention of selling a year or so after completion - we're looking at the 600-650K range so a bit lower than you. We had a look at heaps of open homes in that estate to see what others offer, note the ones that sell quickly and note what they have that others don't. The two big things in this estate are the backyard and the alfresco. Most people tend to neglect the backyard, apart from turfing and the compulsory planting required in the estate. We intend to make an area a child's play area (thinking of a wooden cubby house with a sandpit underneath) and also make a sitting area near the bbq.

A lot of people buy new homes by falling in love with them. The houses that don't have anything in particular to give that wow are still sitting on the market. The other things we did were to have a mainly white kitchen so that the prospective buyers can make their own mark and add their own colour scheme. We went with stone benchtops and vinyl doors. We also removed an upstairs void and added an IT nook. We didn't add floor to ceiling tiles to the bathroom so will be interesting to see if that goes against us at sale time.

We're building a new house at the moment (contemporary style). And am also slowly renovating my very run down house.

I was just interested in what people consider as some of the wow factors in houses. Preferably ones that won't break the bank.

Here is what I have so far but would love to hear some of your ideas.

In the master bedroom:
3. Flat screen TV on the wall (I think you can pick up a 30" fairly cheaply these days)

In the bathrooms:

Sorry for the long post.

Angel

As others have said, it all depends what you are achieve through the reno. ANd what is the state of the property. If the property is a run-down fibro, it's a waste of money to do all of the above as you can only improve a property so much. The minimum qualification to do all of the above would be in a property which is in average condition and a brick home.
Also it depends on how much budget you have for the reno and how much capital growth you are looking to manufacture.

Hard to pull it off, unless you a good interior designer or have a very good design eye. I'd stick to neutrals, maybe one odd feature wall in the house.

I think it is good idea if they are in the middle of the room.

If you are going to rent out the property unfurnished, then it's a waste of money and a headache. Because you would probably have to maintain / repair the TV. Besides, the new tenant may have a 40" TV and may not want your 30".

I agree, it's a great idea.

I'd prefer modern shower with rails.

Great if you can afford it. May be better value investing money in other areas.

Good. Not sure how much wow factor it'd be.

Great.

But all of it needs to match in quality with the rest of the house. There is no point having a modern WOW bathroom and ordinary carpet in rooms. The consistency in quality needs to be maintained through-out the house.

Keeping in line with the bathroom quality, I'd also consider

-Rendering the house
-Painting the roof.
-New floor coverings.
-New kitchen if required
-New light fittings and switches
-Down lights if not already there
-Airconditioning if not already there
-New blinds depending upon the condition of existing ones
-Modern Landscaping with modern plants
-Deck if not already there
-Mending the fence if required or putting a modern one
-New door handles
-New Entrance door

Ha ha ha recesses!!! I knew it had a name. Thanks Aaron. I love them.

I did some more research over the weekend on bathrooms and the word on the street is there are a couple styles trending at the moment.

They all say people are moving away from the bland whites. I get that but still think if you have tiny bathroom on a small budget you still want to stick to the light colours no matter what's trending).

First trend - the day spa feel.

My interpretation of this - using your bathroom is a blissful experience. Lots of space (if you can afford it), lots of bench space (double vainty if ensuite). All clutter (make up, razors, hair dryers etc put away in storage). Mood lighting for ambience. Soft white fluffy towels stacked neatly in open shelves. Hanging bathrobes on polished chrome hooks. Ummm YUM!
I'm mentally sitting in a spa right now instead of in the office cubicle, lol.

Second trend - the masculine look. Dark tones and clean lines, wet rooms with ultra modern, ultra chic polished chrome accessories. It looks expensive. The first thing that pops into my head when I think of this trend is 'Armani', also YUM!

Angel

P.S. I'm really enjoying reading all your posts.

Only if it's done badly with small, white tiles. The ones with large dark tiles are really classy.
Erm, you just described the toilets in all the KFCs I've been in lately. Lovely and modern but all the appliances are broken/vandalised. Yes, I'm a KFC junkie. Lots of public bathrooms are so incredibly modern you can't find the damn taps (or the sink), because they are some weirdass dark brown thing built into the splashback and the benchtop itself is the sink, which explains why the floor is a wet death trap.

They all say people are moving away from the bland whites. I get that but still think if you have tiny bathroom on a small budget you still want to stick to the light colours no matter what's trending).

My interpretation of this - using your bathroom is a blissful experience. Lots of space (if you can afford it), lots of bench space (double vainty if ensuite). All clutter (make up, razors, hair dryers etc put away in storage). Mood lighting for ambience. Soft white fluffy towels stacked neatly in open shelves. Hanging bathrobes on polished chrome hooks. Ummm YUM!
Our new bathroom (both of them) is the exact opposite of that. White (large) tiles to regulation height on walls, decorative strip around various edges in an abstract beige pattern, pale beige floors. Lots of bench space to put clutter on. Cupboards to hide towels and spare loo paper. Nice bright lighting so you can see what you are doing. Coffee coloured towels not white (and purple/green/blue towels in the other bathroom, hence the almost entirely white scheme cos purple and modern dark brown don't work together) No LEDs in the shower head ;)

I'm guessing you're not pitching at families here? Open shelves are the worst thing you can possibly do (and make your stuff mouldy unless you have a 500 horsepower extractor fan), cupboards you can LOCK are better.

I'm obviously far too practical to be an interior decorator for an expensive house :D

To add quick value in a rental??

Hi Angel, these are great posts!!!
Now you got me thinking....

we want to rent out our 2br townhouse circa 1990 brick, modern, clean, open plan but needs a quick update. We already put in beautiful bamboo floors downstairs. We will do the bathroom. Any ideas for a quick low cost fix?

What are people's top five?

Ours:
1. benchtop
2. new vanity - square white - or should we go double sinks?? because it's five foot long - thats... 1500mm. The doors, handles and inside are fine, just the vanity top needs replacing. We could get a double sinks one? But then you lose bench space.
3. new frameless shower
4. We hadn't even thought of a recess but sure, why not!!
5. new tiles and new bath. Freestanding or inset - does it REALLY add rental value to have a freestanding bath??
6. paint bedroom soft velvety charcoal all over with a glamourous pendant light in centre of room.
7. sheer offwhite curtains throughout.
currently an inset bath.

If we did all that we prob wouldn't want to move!

Back