Wow! neighbours rant

im sure, my incident is pale in comparison, but

my parents live in a fairly good area of melbourne,
they have lived there for 30 years,

there is a house across the road who the owner is a bit of a **** and everyone in the areas knows this, none of us have ever met him, but you can hear him yelling at his dog to come back in,

when you have hard rubbish collection, he has been rumoured to look through your stuff on your front lawn,

our house is set approx 15m from the street, with a fairly wide frontage, our rubbish bins are placed at this 15m mark in front of the garage

Rubbish collection is thursday morning, on wednesday afternoon he walked into our drive way, grabbed the green recycle bin, wheeled it to the footpath where you place it to have it collected, and proceeded to fill it up with his branches, overflowing, and just left it there,

all in the middle of the day, my parents apparently saw him in action.

I am just lost for words!!!!

I'm not particularly aiming this at you TMNT or your parents but I just don't understand the mentality of people who are being wronged in some way, who just sit there and watch it happen, do nothing, then complain about it afterwards when they could have solved the issue there and then. I've seen it happening a bit on the forums of late.

If it were me and I caught the neighbour dumping stuff in my bin I would let him know I don't appreciate it but in future if I have room in my bin and they have extra waste to come and see me and ask if I mind if they use my bin. I'm sure I wouldn't mind then.

Wheel it across the road, empty it onto the driveway of his house, and tell him yo will break both his legs if he ever does it again.

Or, break one now as soon as he opens the door, and promise to do the other one if he ever does it again.

If it were me and I caught the neighbour dumping stuff in my bin I would let him know I don't appreciate it but in future if I have room in my bin and they have extra waste to come and see me and ask if I mind if they use my bin. I'm sure I wouldn't mind then.
From my experience - and this bloke has a reputation supposedly - warm and fuzzy stuff doesn't work with these types.

You have to pre-emptive strike the deeheads.

I'm not particularly aiming this at you TMNT or your parents but I just don't understand the mentality of people who are being wronged in some way, who just sit there and watch it happen, do nothing, then complain about it afterwards when they could have solved the issue there and then. I've seen it happening a bit on the forums of late.

thats what I said, however. if it were my house, id think twice about it as well,

my parents are elderly and ultra conservative, apparently the guy sold his house recently, so part of hte reason why my parents didnt bother,

and im going to sound like a bit of a loser, but after all these incidents like the bashing cases, where good samartins are the ones coming off second best, if I saw someone getting beaten up in the street, id really hesitate to help.

my life is not worth losing over someone getting beaten up in the street, let alone a rubbish bin..........I knowI sound like a selfish ***** :(

and yes BV, I did suggest to them that if the rubbish was still there, I would come over and tip it on his front lawn overnight

I don't see a problem with filling up a neighbour's bin when it has been put out for collection and there is room inside. Leaving branches hanging out is poor form because the bin might not be collected in such a state, but really, what is the problem?

And rummaging through the hard waste collection is fine too. We've "saved" some lovely things that either would have been rummaged and taken by others, or compacted into the back of the pick up truck. (I'm guessing you are talking the annual hard rubbish collection.) There are people who make a good living picking up things people don't want to sell or give to charity.

Last edited:
I regularly top up our neighbours bins on rubbish night, however my ethics of bin borrowing:

• Only once the bins are on the street.
  • Never overfill the bins (so lids must close properly).
  • Always the correct type of rubbish in the bin.

Regards,

Jason

From my experience - and this bloke has a reputation supposedly - warm and fuzzy stuff doesn't work with these types.

You have to pre-emptive strike the deeheads.

A reputation yes, but as TMNT said, no first hand experience with this fellow. The rumours could be false.

I would at least give it a try.

Maybe the reason he's being an a*sehole is because everyone assumes that to be the case and don't give him a chance. Maybe he now has a chip on his shoulder because of the way the world is treating him.

From my experience, I find if I treat others how I would like to be treated I usually get the same in return even if they are perceived to be a**eholes.

And BV, maybe people are being 'deeheads' to you because you're being one to them.

I don't see a problem with filling up a neighbour's bin when it has been put out for collection and there is room inside. Leaving branches hanging out is poor form because the bin might not be collected in such a state, but really, what is the problem?

The neighbour walked across the road, up the driveway to their garage, took their bin back down the driveway, out of their land, across the road and filled it up. It wasnt out for collection

And rummaging through the hard waste collection is fine too. We've "save" some lovely things that either would have been rummaged and taken by others, or compacted into the back of the pick up truck. (I'm guessing you are talking the annual hard rubbish collection.) There are people who make a good living picking up things people don't want to sell or give to charity.

I'm with Wylie on both of these points.

In the past, if my recycling bin is full and the neighbours isn't, I've popped my recycling in their bin (pre-green waste days) - and they've done the same to me - same with garbage.

And the issue is? Surely it gets picked up by the same truck and taken to the same tip, so why does it matter what bin it's in? Not like he's putting rocks or anything in.

As for the kerbside pickup - I too have picked up some great stuff, and always feel fantastic when 2/3rds of our stuff is "gone" before the garbage guys come to take it away.

I've also let my dog drink from other people's front meter taps and dropped bagged doggy do in bins that are out for collection.

Maybe it's just me - but can't say I'm real territorial about my bins ... unfortunately, now that we're out in the country, no bin for miles around except mine.

The neighbour walked across the road, up the driveway to their garage, took their bin back down the driveway, out of their land, across the road and filled it up. It wasnt out for collection

Oh - that's different then ... and trespassing. Pity they don't have a relationship where he could just ask them if he could use their bin.

Why don't they have any green waste in their bin anyhow? Do they not mow or prune? Personally I've got three large compost bins on the go at any given time

And BV, maybe people are being 'deeheads' to you because you're being one to them.
Now, now...bit harsh, but I can live with it. ;)

Most decent people would ask permission - as you said.

Me; I would ask too; surely that's the civil and respectful path when interacting with neighbors?

But from the sounds of this bloke - he is difficult with everyone.

From my experience your approach does not work at all with these types.

I'm with Wylie on both of these points.

In the past, if my recycling bin is full and the neighbours isn't, I've popped my recycling in their bin (pre-green waste days) - and they've done the same to me - same with garbage.

And the issue is? Surely it gets picked up by the same truck and taken to the same tip, so why does it matter what bin it's in? Not like he's putting rocks or anything in.

As for the kerbside pickup - I too have picked up some great stuff, and always feel fantastic when 2/3rds of our stuff is "gone" before the garbage guys come to take it away.

I've also let my dog drink from other people's front meter taps and dropped bagged doggy do in bins that are out for collection.

Maybe it's just me - but can't say I'm real territorial about my bins ... unfortunately, now that we're out in the country, no bin for miles around except mine.

Got my vote on this one:)

I didn't realise he entered the property. In this case, I'd be saying to him next time you (or your parents) see him "I don't mind if you put some of your green waste in my bin once I've filled it and put it out for collection, and if there is room, but please ask me before coming into my yard and just taking it".

We went on holidays and before we left we told our neighbors they were welcome to use our green waste bin while we were away. Pickup is on Tuesday and we got back the afternoon before.

Late that night (before pickup) I heard the neighbors furiously working to get all the excess garden waste into the bin. The following evening it was back in our drive and empty. :)

And the issue is?
The issue for me would be if I came home that afternoon, got into some chainsaw massacring only to find some numbnuts has already filled it.

In Brisbane, we actually pay to have the extra bin service and if he just couldn't be bothered paying for the extra bin because he figured he could use mine :rolleyes:

I think that our green bin may have been empty,

BUT thats not the point!!

you simply do not walk down someones drive way, grab the bin,
put your stuff in it and overflow it , and leave it there,

had they asked, I doubt anyone would have said no, unless they didnt like him.

sometimes my bin is a bit full, and I have a small bag of stuff that might make it too full,

I sometimes ask my neighbours if I can put it in theirs if theirs is empty, and the odd time if its late at night, I might put a small bag of stuff in theirs since the rubbish pickup is like 6am normally.

also, scavanging through someones hard rubbish on their front lawn is not on in my books, he went through it once, took one thing, and spread all the stuff that was in a neat pile!!

Back