Written Warning - Fair?

Hi all

I received a written warning at work last week which seems abit harsh to me and was just after some opinions.

I drive a concrete truck and our fleet has just had gps tracking put in all our trucks a few weeks ago and i thought id try using the gps to get to a job instead of using the UBD like i always do . I was going to an unfamiliar suburb. I entered the address and went on my way, when i got to the job i realised the trip had taken an extra 10 or 15mins as the gps had taken me around the country.

The job was really slow and and by the time i was half unloaded the site manager requested my docket then sent my truck away as it had been 1.5hrs since my truck was loaded and i was directed to dump the rest of the load at the tip.

What also didnt help is the time on the docket is only the time when it was printed and not loaded and iwas still on my break at the time it was printed so 10min was lost here then another 10 - 15min lost while on route so that would have made up the extra 20 - 30min i needed..

Any way i was blasted by management and had a written warning to go with it, i cant remember the exact wording on the letter as its in my truck but it was becuase the load got sent away.

Theres usually two times on a concrete docket. Time of print and time of batch.

If it was your first load and job was running slow the unfair as you followed gps. Yet I dont know what would come of complaining about it.

How long were you on site? If slump and air were alright would be contractors issue not yours if you were already unloading.

I got tested 100 slump on site (requested 95 with 110max) before going on the pump but the the job was that slow it was pulling back quickly but they didnt allow me to put any water in..

Sorry if I am being blunt/harsh, but this is my view.

If you were not familiar with how to operate the GPS, you should have received some training for it, or done some research on it while on downtime.

Why did you decide to test it out on the way to a job, knowing the ticket was already printed 10 minutes prior to your truck being loaded, when you have a 90 min max to get to the job and empty your load?
The best way to test it would have been on the return trip to the yard, or any other non-urgent trip.

Have you explained to management what happened, and what was their feedback?

Whether the warning is warranted or not, I don't know what's written in your employment agreement/contract.

I got tested 100 slump on site (requested 95 with 110max) before going on the pump but the the job was that slow it was pulling back quickly but they didnt allow me to put any water in..

100 slump? Shotcrete?

Don’t know the specs for shotcrete, usually the time limit is to first dump, and you shouldn’t add water after testing.

Either way, you don’t want dry concrete in a pump, it’s crap. Meh, let bygones be bygones IMO.

Suggest you write a written response to the written warning.

- Outline your mitigating factors.
- Acknowledge your partial responsibility (so it doesn't sound like you are just making excuses).
- Outline your lessons learnt and your plan to prevent it happening again. eg. ask for GPS training.

Ask for the response to be filed away along with the warning.

Then forget about it. It's only one warning.

Suggest you write a written response to the written warning.

- Outline your mitigating factors.
- Acknowledge your partial responsibility (so it doesn't sound like you are just making excuses).
- Outline your lessons learnt and your plan to prevent it happening again. eg. ask for GPS training.

Ask for the response to be filed away along with the warning.

Then forget about it. It's only one warning.

....and if they have a GPS in the truck your employer should give you training on how to use it as it is an expectation that the drivers should be using it, or not have it in there in the first place.

That's their fault, not yours.

Put the onus back on them or the dodgy GPS.

You just enter an address and press "GO". GPS sometimes go on quirky routes.

Definitely respond in writing giving your side of what happened on the day, setting out times and places. This will then be on the record as well as the employer's notice.
Marg

Agree with those regarding a response in writing.

There is always a chance (depending on the state of business) they are trying to "manage you out" instead of going for a redundancy payout, and looking for any opportunity they can get.

The Y-man

My opinion? You were new to it and had only good intentions. Your boss doesn't seem so cool, big deal if you were a few minutes late. I personally wouldn't care and have had bosses that feel the same as long at it isn't losing them much money. Thats why they pay you bugger all because they know you will cost them 'some' money along the way. Well, kind of anyway

I'd just look for a new job somewhere you think you might like?

Back