Ya gotta check everything, don't ya!!!

The lease for our property was supposed to be renewed on Oct 4th. Hadn't heard anything so I dropped them a fax.

Oh dear, sooo sorry, the tenant "lost" the lease and we've left messages etc. We've asked the tenant to come in on Saturday (yesterday) to sign the lease to "ensure" we have a signed copy. The distance between the agency and the house is about 2km.

When I asked whether the tenant had been paying rent since the 4th at the $5 increase, the PM "would have to check that."

Wonder what would have happened if I hadn't contacted them?

Apologies for my sarcasm (Kristine), but I'm not in the mood for such a weak excuse as "we couldn't contact the tenant," today. Perhaps I should have written this tomorrow!

???

Apologies to me, - what for?

My property manager, and one of the reasons I continue to use and recommend that Agency, is that all details for new leases are negotiated 90 days ahead of the end of the lease (actually, Victorian law now requires 120 days notice of just about anything from the landlord to the tenant), and everything is agreed, signed, sealed and delivered well ahead of time.

However, there are times when I have allowed tenants to not sign lease renewals. eg, when the tenant has explained that they are thinking of moving and therefore don't want to sign a new twelve month lease, could they please stay on a month-to-month (periodic) basis until they have a new place organised. Sure! I have tenants doing just that right now, they have built their own home but are not sure of completion dates.

I'm happy for them to give me 28 days notice when they actually have a moving out date.

But if people are staying on, then yes, I want those leases signed up well ahead of time, so we all know what we're doing.

So really Gemini, for your own forward planning, read your own copy of the Act and make sure that all renewals are organised as and when and law allows. For a renewal in October, this should have been organised no later than July.

Cheers

Kristine

Confucious say: She who have laptop and think everything exciting will go a long way!

Back