A simple party.

Have you ever had a small talk conversation about property? It's quite possible, even though we see property a different way. All you have to do is make a lot of observations while ignoring all mentions of causes and effects (so & so's paying 8%, oh I was paying 15 way back, that's a nice colour scheme, the house sold for how much?). Also be surprised and confused a lot, because you would be if you never talked about cause & effect (Really?, you're Kidding!, I Dont know what to do!).
;)
I just don't talk about it anymore if they ring up and ask for help and want to come over i will and can and it will not cost them one cent, one of my mates has just bought his first investment property big step into the unknown for him out at Warwick large hiway frontage block with a very sad over 50 year old house at a very good price,and he has rented all his life,so maybe what i said that night made him think all he has to do is split the block move the house over,and put a removal house on the property,that's how i made my money in country towns..willair..

Willair,
I think the way your friends treated you was terrible.
I'm more curious about what happened the next few days.
The relationship you had with the mate and his wife, is it the same?Personally, I hold grudges. (not proud of it, but that's me) Did your friend know you were asked to leave?

There is a lot more to people than their personal balance sheet.

Im with Natmarie. People need some balance and perspective in their lives. You go to a party to have a good time.

You bring up this point every time this topic comes up Evan. The thing is, many here actually enjoy talking about property, investments etc. Perhaps you don't like to, consider it boring and just a function that needs to be performed on the side of your normal interests, doesn't mean others do - for many here, including myself, it may be their favourite subject. Yet we're not allowed to talk about it.

The difference is, because of the particular topic - we can't talk about investment much in public without being seen as specufestors etc. On the other hand it's considered perfectly fine for someone to bore the $h!t out of me with sports talk, even if I've told him only 30 secs earlier in the same conversation that I have absolutely no interest in it. :rolleyes:

Anyway, there's plenty of taboo topics in everyday life that can't be discussed without boring or stepping on toes (eg. religion, politics, investment etc). I just find it strange that you always jump in with "well who wants to talk about property/investment" attitude, especially considering the forum you're on.

The difference is, because of the particular topic - we can't talk about investment much in public without being seen as specufestors etc. On the other hand it's considered perfectly fine for someone to bore the $h!t out of me with sports talk, even if I've told him only 30 secs earlier in the same conversation that I have absolutely no interest in it. :rolleyes:

This is an interesting point. My whole life I have had no interest in sports (except skating). I find that most people want to harp on about the subject endlessly and this bores me to tears. I don't understand why on earth people would want to spend hours of their lives sitting in front of the idiot box watching sport. If they have so much interest in it, then why don't they play themselves? Most have never played, yet consider themselves experts. :confused:

The only sports that I watch are skating (usually ice, because roller doesn't get airtime) or gymnastics. I used to do and teach gymnastics in my younger years, hence the interest. Both of these get minimum airtime, usually only Olympic Games and maybe a small bit outside of this if you are lucky.

The funny thing is that people that have been told repeatedly that you are not interested will still try to draw you into their sport induced conversations. :confused:

Is this issue talking about property and investments more of an age thing, or are my friends just polite enough to bit@h behind my back? I've not encountered anything, although I admit I don't like to voluntarily bring it up for fear of sounding like I'm bragging. Those of my friends who do know (who are in their 20's and 30's) appear genuinely impressed by it though. So I'm wondering if it becomes more of an issue as you get older, as rather than still being able to aspire, they realise they have/are missing the boat and then become envious?

Some of you make it sound like investing is a cult following. Don't get me wrong, many a time I've had multiple hour conversation with fellow investors over beers or coffees or renovating tools.

But it's in no ones interest to preach one of your hobbies to another person. No one needs converting or to be baptised into investmentism. I appreciate that it's many peoples' here major interest - me included, but that doesn't mean conversation should be only about that. And bragging about any subject can get old quickly.

Learn to converse about other topics, otherwise you're a bit shallow I'm afraid.

Edit: You should be happy and comfortable with what you do and not need reassurance from others.

I don't think it's an age thing Biggles, I think it's the same as talking about how much money you make at work. If you're on $50k, and everyone else is too, then it's all good. But if you talk about being on $150k, and everyone else is on amounts anywhere under $70k, then you might end up being asked to leave the party :eek:

I only talk about investing with people if they mention it first, and even then i'll tread carefully, only sharing a tiny bit of information at a time... I find that older people don't wanna hear anything that contradicts thier way of thinking, and younger ones are keen to learn about it, but then say stuff like "yeah, i'll do that when i'm older"

I never discuss what I've earned or expect to , or anything too in depth to just anyone , or go on about it. The fewer investors out there the more left for me is the way I look at it.
But there's gotta be some interest there and it's also early days for me anyway so I'd rather talk after the fact.
At parties I tend forget the heavies of life, have some fun unless I fall into something with someone.

I do often have people try me out or just ask out of genuine interest , how did you go with that place, hows this one going . I never talk real numbers though, it went well , sold now, coming along or whatever the case , short and sweet unless it's gonna go anywhere.
If someone genuine comes along that's genuinely interested or maybe they need a way out and I feel I might be able to help , or a new career and I think some form of property might be a way for them I've lightly gone there sussing the interest level first & take it from there, that's come up a few times .

Cheers

Learn to converse about other topics, otherwise you're a bit shallow I'm afraid.

Edit: You should be happy and comfortable with what you do and not need reassurance from others.

It's got nothing to do with being shallow. I talk about a multitude of other things, or perhaps to put it correctly let other people talk. I can speak to most people quite easily, but the area of money and investments is generally frowned upon unless you're taking a whining stance and complaining about your boss, not having enough money etc. Conversely you could just as easily say people who don't like talking $/investments/future are shallow.

Try saying something like, "yeah business is booming, it's really great - I've got this killer new product line that's going gangbusters!" and see what sort of response you get and how quickly the subject is changed. Now on the other hand try coming out with something like "yeah business is terrible, don't know why it's so bad, haven't paid last months bills yet" and they're all ears. :rolleyes:

Nothing to do with reassurance, in fact the seldom time the topic is discussed I generally give no information at all about my personal circumstances, rather just talk in generalisations, give ideas/opinions that I may have etc. Short of my wife, no one knows what I own (and she doesn't really know either) and I would have no intention of disclosing, but I do enjoy the topic and have plenty to discuss without trying to big note myself.

I've been known to make a quick get way at a party because a group or person wants to talk about mundane or serious stuff for too long ie. shop talk, investments, money, children, even sport.

I may like talking about these things, but I reserve them for when I'm with fewer people that share my interest, away from a party or social gathering (or when with those that know when it's time to get onto the next subject ;)).

I like having a few drinks and a good laugh when I'm out. Even I'm rarely up to talking property at a party with my many known investor friends, let alone with people that don't invest or I don't know well enough.

My investor friends and family seem the same as well. I don't think it's always a tall poppy reaction.

Last edited:
Am I alone in just not liking "parties"? I enjoy sitting down with another two or three couples for dinner but parties leave me cold. Fancy Dress or themed parties would have to be the worst :D.

I am not someone who enjoyes making small talk with people I don't know, probably will never see again, and get nervous about what I can say or not say, and how deeply I may put my foot into my mouth :D.

Try saying something like, "yeah business is booming, it's really great - I've got this killer new product line that's going gangbusters!" and see what sort of response you get and how quickly the subject is changed. Now on the other hand try coming out with something like "yeah business is terrible, don't know why it's so bad, haven't paid last months bills yet" and they're all ears. :rolleyes:

Could not agree more..... as the saying goes "misery loves company".

Could not agree more..... as the saying goes "misery loves company".

Never hear the saying before and not sure I understand it cause I get a really negative feeling ehn I read it

For me it depends on the type of party, I've enjoyed my friend's adn relie's birthdays and kids' birthdays parties where I get to see and have fun with people I care about but dont always get to catch up with. I think it would have been sad to have missed some of those parties I've gone to over the years.

Never hear the saying before and not sure I understand it cause I get a really negative feeling ehn I read it

For me it depends on the type of party, I've enjoyed my friend's adn relie's birthdays and kids' birthdays parties where I get to see and have fun with people I care about but dont always get to catch up with. I think it would have been sad to have missed some of those parties I've gone to over the years.

Really? Been around for yonks (apparently). I think it's the whole premise behind shows like TT and ACA. :D

Wow. Did you have a few under your belt?

Why do you need to talk about your investing at a a party? Plenty of other stuff to talk about, no?

Actually i can understand very well.
Its the same when i alternatively mix between my business friends and my 'old professional' friends.
With the business friends, the conversations soon become animated, where are the next opportunities????

with the old professional friends: where is the next holiday, and i soon switch off and start mentally daydreaming.

. What would you do if you weer at a party and you got talking to someone and he was banging on about quantum theory or electronics engineering (or something equally boring) endlessly. Its like he's talking another language to you and its oh so boring.

Well that's how a lot of people see people banging on about property investing etc etc.

Its boring stuff to most people. Why go on about it if no ones interested?

Switch crowds, by the way there is plenty of alternative add on, depending on the group.

Asian unofficial business gatherings are much more exciting than their western counter parts.:D

I never go to parties.
If you can't talk about what you are passionate about (property) what is there to talk about?

If you talk about sports..that must be someone elses passion.
Your kids...boring.
Politics..that is something you can't do anything about anyways..and all politicians are crooked.:D

There is always the weather..wait five minutes and it changes (here in NS)

When we talk about property it is not really about the property.
It is the issues with the tenants. They are really quite amusing.

Golf ..yuck

Gossip about your friends and co-workers?

Really..what would you talk about?

Property covers so many things.
We have found some interesting objects inside the walls.
Thought we saw an unexploded aerial bomb.
Nightmare wiring etc

Back