ADSL Providers

I have been with iinet for some years now.

Today I called them as I was wondering why my download speed had dropped off.

I was told that my 1500 service had been reduced to 512. Same price. They also said that if I wanted my old speed then I would have to pay another $20 pm. I already pay about $70pm for my current setup and don't really want to pay more.

They also said I was sent an email 2 weeks ago explaining this - checked my emails and it wasn't there. I asked to go back to the old arrangement and was told it wouldn't happen. I asked to speak to someone higher and the guy was reluctant but eventually said he would ask his manager to call me - he told me I would get the same answer. I don't care if I talk to the CEO but I wont rest until I speak to someone with the authority to give me what I want.

So now I am thinking about changing. It isn't just the money but I am a bit pissed off at their cavalier approach to customer service.

Can any of youse (standard Newcastle way of pluralising You) tell me which ISPs you use that give a little better service? An unlimited download account would be super but probably prohibitively expensive :eek:

Of course my major problem is that I have four iinet email accounts. How can I keep them redirected to my email for 6-12 months. If I get a dial up account then I should be able to keep them going for a bit. Are there other methods?

Thanks

Simon,

I'm with Exetel and can honestly say that their customer service is great. Their 1500 download plan is $70 per month as shown here.

They also support fast churn I think.

If you do decide to go Exetel then PM me and I'll tell you how to get a discount as a new user.

Cheers mate,
Michael.

Thanks Michael,

A personal recommendation works for me. How happy are you with them?

Their download limits are much more generous that iinet for a similar price package.

Can you drop me an email to explain the discount caper? Always happy to save a few bucks.

What about forwarding my emails? Hate to lose touch with friends and clients as a result of a move.

Thanks mate

What about forwarding my emails? Hate to lose touch with friends and clients as a result of a move.

Simon, afraid you will have to resign yourself to losing those email addresses as soon as you stop their service.

The only way you may keep them active is to downgrade to a cheap dial-up plan (but not use it), and churn your DSL service to a decent provider.

For DSL1 services I personally wouldn't go past www.Internode.on.net, they run their own network and have their own international bandwidth, most other tier2/3 providers do not, so have to rely on congested Telstra/Tier1 links.

The only other consideration based on service and customer satisfaction levels would be Westnet.

But hey check out whirlpool as previously stated.

Hi, Simon,
I've been with IInet for a couple of years now, and was advised about the change in plans. I do believe that many were not contacted, though.
I decided to pay the extra $20, but am not at all impressed. A bit like buying a new car, and then being told to pay extra for the driveshaft.:)
Incidentally, I believe that after you switch ISP's, you can still retain the IInet e-mail addresses at a cost of $25 per address, per year....
Internode has a good reputation, and well worth a look.
Cheers
Bill

Duncan,

Thanks mate. I don't use peer to peer, so those changes have no material effect on my browsing speeds. Some of the other comments about customer service are a bit disconcerting though. My personal experience, when calling them around specific issues, was that they were excellent at dealing with problems. If they've cut their helpdesk call line though, then that service has just evaporated.

Simon, better check up a bit more on them before you commit, but I'll PM you the discount stuff anyway in case you go this way.

They work for me and I've had no issues.

Cheers,
Michael.

I use netspace (http://www.netspace.com.au/). Not sure about their current plans (it's been a while since I signed up), but at the tmie I signed up they suited my needs, and they had good customer service when I had a few issues trying to set up my modem when I first got ADSL.

John.

Simon,

I'm with Exetel and can honestly say that their customer service is great. Their 1500 download plan is $70 per month as shown here.

They also support fast churn I think.

If you do decide to go Exetel then PM me and I'll tell you how to get a discount as a new user.

Cheers mate,
Michael.

I'd advise that people stay away from Exetel....

Far, far away.

Refer to the recent articles in the SMH and Whirlpool about them.

They've even gone further to suggest in their forums that they will be restricting access to certain sites and actively assisting 'legally constituted' third parties by potentially providing user information - I saw no mention of how this would match up with Australia's privacy act.

Now the accepted wisdom of ISPs is that you don't censor (restrict access to) websites, because then you become liable for all the websites you haven't restricted access to (and an ISP is about carriage - like a telco...a telco doesn't restrict what you can say when you are on the phone).

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I personally recommend iinet - good speeds, good service and reasonable pricing to boot.

www.iinet.net.au

24,000 download vs
1,500 with exetel

no brainer :)

Frank,

I cannot get ADSL2 in Newcastle.

I had 1500 and iinet reduced me to 512 without consultation or reduction in my monthly fee.

If I could get ADSL2 here it would be throug ha different ISP after the way iinet have just treated me. Still waiting for a call back from them promised yesterday...

Bummer. I've been with Internode for almost a year and it's been fine, although have been considering iinet because they do ADSL2 in my area...

Back