Alcohol fuelled violence

With this topic being firmly back in the news today, it has again sparked the debate as to how to control alcohol related violence.

I think it needs to begin on the street, so....can you lovely parents please ask your teenagers how they think it should be addressed? I was talking to 28 year old son and he reckons the RSA needs to be tightened up heaps, he says he or his mates have never been refused service despite being "well tanked" (his words)

So, what does the youth of Australia think? ( bet the answer comes back different the govt solution, what ever that may be)

I'll ask my sons tonight at a family dinner and report back.

For me, I believe pubs should close at 1am. If you've not had enough to drink by 1am, you can go home and drink some more. If you have had enough to drink by 1am, you certainly don't need to continue pouring it down your throat until 5am.

The government won't do it because there is huge money in it for the people who operate the pubs and clubs. Money means power.

That poor family who had to turn off the life support to their son yesterday...

And I heard the charge might now be "murder" for the man who hit him. I'd ask "why is there even any question that it is murder?"

In what circumstances isn't it "murder"? If he stabbed him with a knife I wouldn't think there would be a question of "murder" or something else. Why is a fist any less a weapon when it is used with such force? And I know the hit might not have killed, but the head hitting a hard surface with such force could actually be the thing that kills... but the hit wasn't a "mistake". The person prepared to king hit, or coward hit, doesn't care how he hurts the victim. He is doing with passion, hate. He is wanting to hurt.

Weak governments (both of them) will do nothing, as usual.

We managed to have great times when the pubs closed at midnight. I don't see why we cannot go back to the "dark ages" in this regard.

How heartbreaking for the family of the young man in Sydney.

This attack was at 9pm and the attacker allegedly was not drunk.

Look at the sentence given to the killer of Thomas Kelly - totally inadequate.

Increase sentencing and get the message out there that a hit to the head will kill. Kill someone and you should go to jail for a very long time.

I have a 19yo son and we were in Sydney the night before this happened. He did go out, however I wouldn't let him anywhere near Kings Cross.

In Canberra this week my son had someone choke him and threaten to bash him because he got too close to a girl at a club. Just ridiculous.

How heartbreaking for the family of the young man in Sydney.

This attack was at 9pm and the attacker allegedly was not drunk.

Look at the sentence given to the killer of Thomas Kelly - totally inadequate.

Increase sentencing and get the message out there that a hit to the head will kill. Kill someone and you should go to jail for a very long time.

Absolutely agree with this. I hadn't heard that he wasn't drunk. All the more reason to charge him with murder. Assumably he didn't "accidentally" punch someone in the head for any other reason than to cause huge damage. He probably didn't want to kill someone, but that was the end result. I just don't see how the charge could be anything but murder.

Drugs are to blame for a lot of this too. Roid rage, drugs that change your mind, make people aggressive, psychotic.

Scary reading this morning that via random drug tests in the armed forces, 1000 were picked up, many for harder drugs. These are the people who learn how to do major damage, know how to handle themselves physically, and they are dosing up. The tests are random. How many do they miss?

Yep...it's all the fault of "alcohol". 100%. It has nothing at all to do with any other drugs/mind altering substances at all. It's all "Alcohol Fuelled Violence". :rolleyes:

Yep...it's all the fault of "alcohol". 100%. It has nothing at all to do with any other drugs/mind altering substances at all. It's all "Alcohol Fuelled Violence". :rolleyes:

I don't think anybody actually claimed what you have just quoted. My post clearly mentioned drugs. Alcohol plays just as large a part as drugs, perhaps moreso, but they both have a part to play.

15 years minimun sentence, without parole. Whether "accidental" or not as some claimed.

I'd go for a 20 year sentence, but they wouldn't even thinl about this here

I dont think its AFV. Some people will be ******s with or without alcohol.

I think police should be able to do spot tests for drugs. I also think that just a higher presence in notorious areas would help a lot.

Increasing penalties is pointless: 1) If they're in such a rage that they're going to be *******, chances are they're not going to be deterred 2) Getting someone locked up doesn't help bring your kid back

Increasing penalties is pointless: 1) If they're in such a rage that they're going to be *******, chances are they're not going to be deterred 2) Getting someone locked up doesn't help bring your kid back

But if they're in jail they wont be out on the street to kill my kid in the first place.

Thomas Kelly's killer will be back out in 4 years.

But if they're in jail they wont be out on the street to kill my kid in the first place.

Thomas Kelly's killer will be back out in 4 years.

If they're in jail it's because they've already done it. Some people learn from that and dont re-offend. I'd rather prevent.

If they're in jail it's because they've already done it. Some people learn from that and dont re-offend. I'd rather prevent.

Why dont we do both - perhaps a tougher sentence is a deterrent to some.

A slap on the wrist certainly isnt working.

If I was the parent I would want the death penalty.

I would say most are bullies and thugs who have a history of aggression, with and without alcohol.

I also think repeat offenders should do more time than they already do just so members of the public are safer for longer.

Even in an intoxicated state I'd guarantee most of these thugs would not mess with another thug who is bigger and stronger than them.

The not so bright ones, which most are, know better, hence why the victims are often decent, unsuspecting 'nice' guys.

I know of 2 'nice' guys who have been assaulted in unprovoked attacks by strangers, both occurred in the early evening, one outside a Maccas in the suburbs, the other walking with his wife and 2 young children down a busy entertainment strip (Jetty Rd. Glenelg).

Both were serious enough that they needed hospitalization.

I suspect this whole issue is a media beat up. It's made out like it's a recent phenomena, with an exponentially increasing rate of violence.

Is there actually more AFV than in the past? No media articles I've read have stated so. If there was data to support an increase in AFV then the media would be right onto that.

It's honourable and good that we should be trying to decrease the level of AFV in the community.

You'll find most have attitude problems.
They think that the world owes them.
Alcohol is not the problem it is the person drinking it.
I use to go clubbing 3 times a week for a long time and saw fights nearly every night.
Mostly the same types of people, will pick on someone smaller unless they are with friends then will fight anyone.
Most will be removed from the club by bounces and let free to abuse them out the front and be congratulated by friends.

I would be happy for any person to be banned from licensed venues if they have a criminal conviction relating to violence.

I think alcahol is one of the last things that should be legal but thats not going to happen. If anything it should be weed thats legal. It grows naturally on a freakin plant ffs! The rules we live under are so stupid I try to remove myself away.

Fwiw I drink alot and dont smoke weed. Go figure

EdB, I think this has been happening for a long time and is under reported.

My own son was punched in the head from behind by a stranger only last year.

He lost consciousness but fortunately hit carpet. He was kept in hospital for a few hours (due to concussion - had very little to drink) and then discharged.

Why... he saw an aggressive looking guy approach his friend (friend was talking to a girl) so moved closer as he was concerned, and someone from behind punched him in the head.

Son doesn't remember any of it of course.

EdB, I think this has been happening for a long time and is under reported.

My own son was punched in the head from behind by a stranger only last year.

He lost consciousness but fortunately hit carpet. He was kept in hospital for a few hours (due to concussion - had very little to drink) and then discharged.

Why... he saw an aggressive looking guy approach his friend (friend was talking to a girl) so moved closer as he was concerned, and someone from behind punched him in the head.

Son doesn't remember any of it of course.

Weg ,what does your son think needs to be done?

I think the "it didn't happen in my day" talk isn't going to fix a damn thing :) I agree there seems to be a higher level of anger in general in society but how to control it. Pfft I just don't know.

Weg ,what does your son think needs to be done?

I think the "it didn't happen in my day" talk isn't going to fix a damn thing :) I agree there seems to be a higher level of anger in general in society but how to control it. Pfft I just don't know.

I don't think he knows what needs to be done.

He does thinks there are a lot of scumbags and thugs in society, as do I (he was robbed of his wallet and had his CC used last Thurs and doing an ID with police early next week so said this again only the other day :mad:).

He doesn't go to clubs and bars all that often, and when he does he chooses those that he thinks are less likely to have too many of these people in them - what he's told me, and what i know he does.

I think RyanJD sums it up well.

Back