Alcohol fuelled violence

When, where, how? I'm genuinely interested about this.
My thoughts have actually been different to this for a long time. I've often thought that longer hours may be an answer. Sounds counter-intuitive (and sure to rile some) but when I go to Northbridge or Freo for a late night the problems seem to 'explode' around the lead up to 1pm when the pubs are closing and everyone is suddenly out on the street and looking for the next 'thing' to happen. Not a taxi in sight, public transport is finished, lets stand in a taxi queue or wander the street with all the other inebriated people. Later, staggered closing times might work. Or maybe just prolong the agony?

I'm just thinking that even with a 10pm closing time people will just smash the alcohol down till 10pm anyway. More drinks in a shorter time?

The most recent one happened at 9pm, so I don't know what a 10pm closing would do.

Actually, I do.

It would force every patron of every venue out of them at the same time, causing greater problems as people jostled for public transport/taxis/kebabs.

Lockouts and staggered closing times are a much better option as they mean that there is gradual flow of people leaving, rather than a huge flood.

Agree, an earlier closing time would do more harm than good.. it would further encourage binge drinking and then send the fools out on the streets at the same time, as a mass group.. it would be pandemonium.

In the UK up until 2003 pubs closed before midnight, which encouraged binge drinking i.e. fit in as many drinks as you can before the pub closes. 2003 brought in their new licencing act - 24hr licencing, which was more about exercising ones free will.. Studies have shown it has reduced binge drinking and even drinking in general.

How would one raise a child in these time when the good old smack on the backside is now classed as assault
From our experience with our kids, the taking away of privileges is a massive deterrent.

They have both had the odd smack on the backside, but very rare, and only with an open hand and not hard. (The daughter is 18 months old, so it's early days with her training!)

The trick is to be consistent, to not give in and change your mind if you threaten punishment - you have to follow through with what you threaten them with.

Our 12 year old recently lost his IPod, Xbox, all computer and tv for a whole month. We told him it was coming, and we followed through. I felt terrible, but...he learned a good lesson.

It was to do with silly conversations on the Ipod that got a bit out of hand, and we had to talk with other parents. He is generally a good kid and definitely not a thug in training, but kids that age don't understand the ramifications of what they say online, of course.

Just yesterday, our 4 year old son was hitting one of my older son's friends with a foam/plastic water squirter out at the pool. I repeated it a couple of times because he wasn't listening and did it again.

He has a beautiful, caring and happy nature, they were all excited and having fun by the pool, and he gets a bit carried away with the moment.

He was doing it in fun, but I said not to do it because the visitor might get hurt (not really; he is 12), and/or the squirter will break....plus; I don't want him to think it's ok to hit people at all - even in fun.

He did it again a few minutes later, and broke the squirter. He got a 10 min time-out sitting on the banana lounge in the sun, while everyone else was in the pool. Then he got a stern voiced lecture from me - not for breaking the squirter, but for not listening and doing what I asked..

Our 12 year old recently lost his IPod,
It was to do with silly conversations on the Ipod that got a bit out of hand

Our 12 year old daughter recently went through the same punishment.Banned the ipod for a month after stupid chatting on kick.We also now only let her have 2 hours per day on it,and every now and then go through the history.Hard but Fair. ;)

One recent idea that I really like is how many majority of reporters and journalists are now calling it a 'coward punch' instead of a 'king hit', I think this term will also gather steam with the general public which changes the mindset of it to something that sounds cowardly and uncool - as it should.

One recent idea that I really like is how many majority of reporters and journalists are now calling it a 'coward punch' instead of a 'king hit', I think this term will also gather steam with the general public which changes the mindset of it to something that sounds cowardly and uncool - as it should.
I like "gutless coward punch" or "gutless bogan punch" or "gutless feral bogan punch" to name a few.

Most young men don't see themselves as this element of loser - rather; they see themselves as some tough hero.

They get rather upset when you call them bogans etc to their face, too.

Truth hurts.

Last edited:
The other thing that really needs to be addressed is the sentencing, the judges are so far out of touch that the community is losing respect and the bash artists just laugh it off. A $1000 fine is nothing to them, a five year sentence is something completely different. If a mate gets put inside for bashing someone then the others will think twice before doing it themselves IMO.

Don't quote me on the exact details...

There was a couple of year study in Tassie that looked at whether sentencing reflected community standards. Not particularly around violent offenders but all crimes that came before the court.

Jurors were asked after sentencing whether the sentence by the judge was appropriate. The view of the community who had sat through the case and heard all the evidence was that it generally was.

I like "gutless coward punch" or "gutless bogan punch" or "gutless feral bogan punch" to name a few.

Most young men don't see themselves as this element of loser - rather; they see themselves as some tough hero.

They get rather upset when you call them bogans etc to their face, too.

Truth hurts.

"coward punch" could be the suitable word. Not too long and carries the message.

I have seen some shocking sites while picking up the daughters at 4 in the morning in the valley in inner Brisbane,pity the Police and Doctors that have to fix up the morning after the mess,you can't blame the legal system because they don't care about the truth,any legal person with street smart experience can use arguments they know intimately to sway any jury to see a different picture ,it not the booze any more it's all the add on drugs they mix..

many australian parents are 2 busy to discipline.2 busy at pubs&clubs getting drunk.or they themselves have never been disciplined to know better.;)high divorce rate.kids out of control&care.

Should be a good half hour ;)

That's okay, when the oldies have gone to bed, the real men (us) can start drinking properly.

Speaking of fights, I had a bird challenge me to an arm wrestle at the pub on Friday night. I think it started when I said something about how women are physically weaker than men. After I beat her easily using my good arm, she challenged me to do it with the left. Beat her just as easily. Then she told me I should join her roller derby league. The thought of getting out there and getting down with a bunch of girls was tempting, but it would have been a bittersweet victory, because they all bat for their own team. Also, rollerskating is kind of queer (no pun intended).

That's okay, when the oldies have gone to bed, the real men (us) can start drinking properly.

So real men are the ones who stay up late and go drinking "properly". Hmmm sounds like you are one of these problem children this is all about.

Speaking of fights, I had a bird challenge me to an arm wrestle at the pub on Friday night. I think it started when I said something about how women are physically weaker than men. After I beat her easily using my good arm, she challenged me to do it with the left. Beat her just as easily. Then she told me I should join her roller derby league. The thought of getting out there and getting down with a bunch of girls was tempting, but it would have been a bittersweet victory, because they all bat for their own team. Also, rollerskating is kind of queer (no pun intended).

Takes a lot of intestinal fortitude to take on a woman in an arm wrestle I guess.

But I see none when it came to the reverse challenge.

Your credibility is shot to pieces.

I think in the olden days when I was a kid, if someone at school did the wrong thing, then a bunch of Seniors took him down behind the shed and beat the *** out of him. In most cases, he learned when to keep his stupid mouth shut and learned about social skills "real quick". As he got older, if he still couldn't keep his stupid mouth shut in Public, the cops beat the *** out of him. If he still didn't learn appropriate social skills, he went to Vietnam or jail.

These days we have alternative parents leaving their own drugs lying around the house for their offspring to help themselves to (yes, they brag about it at school). We have removed all incentive for the Seniors to install a little justice in the playground, and we are not allowed to inflict real justice to those whose mouths should remain closed until such time as they display some social skills.

The bain of my life at school is the 13-14 year olds as previous posters have mentioned. Little Princes and Princesses who have never discovered the true meaning of the word "no". The rich kids are very smart and know when to stop. So far they seem to be smart enough to stay away from the drugs, but I am only talking about kids really.

On top of that, you have those with real brain malfunction, hyped up on Red Bull, Cheese Snaks and Mars Bars, who are as dumb as three bricks. Urban thugs who love to join in to whatever "fun" the rich kids have started around them. These ones, both male and female, are high as kites on their ADHD medication, the three cans of red bull they drink before school and haven't seen a vegetable since they left day care. Their goal in life (they love to tell me) is to start getting tattoos when they are old enough. They even show me the designs they want to get. On the very rare occasion a parent comes to the school, Mum is no older than 30, looks like a character from the Rocky Horror Picture Show and has a pram. When we meet Uncle, he invariably consoles the little fella with the latest R rated violent computer game and more Red Bull.

The school can legally only do so much. Mum is often desperate to get them into CYMS or Laser but the waiting list is Eternal. The Public System is almost useless, I wont go there just now. We can refer them to Child Protection and expel them from one school to the next. If nothing changes, then nothing changes. What are these thugs going to be like by the time they gain another 30 kilos and lose another handful of brain cells?

Back