ALP Doomed but how many seats will they get?

Not more money, more autonomy.
Peter

Agree more autonomy, each government funded school and hospital should be funded independently which will create their own competition.

Acquaintance that was a GM of a large metropolitan council has been on the boards of local health and educational organisations and he said they need to disband area health and educational institutes and fund individually as too top heavy.

Sheryn

Cannot agree more.

On schools, FYI, I am on a school council and it is very enlightening.

At our school, teachers and principal are great but the rules, bureaucracy, etc is stifling. IMO, GONSKI will make it worst as it rewards poor results and punishes good. Best thing, give the principals the power to really manage the schools and your will get better results in most cases. Not more money, more autonomy.

Peter

IMHO falling results have a lot to do with the lack of engagement by some parents. Not surprising when you consider the number of broken marriages these days.
Reminds me of when I was managing Primary School Cricket. 13 kids in the "A" team and I couldn't get help from any of the parents. Of those 13 kids 11 had parents who had split up and most had new partners but none were willing to help.

IMHO falling results have a lot to do with the lack of engagement by some parents. Not surprising when you consider the number of broken marriages these days.
Reminds me of when I was managing Primary School Cricket. 13 kids in the "A" team and I couldn't get help from any of the parents. Of those 13 kids 11 had parents who had split up and most had new partners but none were willing to help.

11 out of 13 is very high. Husband also did school coaching one year and had to pressure a parent to team manage. There was no interest at all. Most of these families were heavily reliant of welfare so i figured they couldn't have valued education if they didn't value work. I can't recall that many being divorced.

Interestingly the school had some fantastic teachers but I have never heard so much bagging of school staff before. Got my son out of there by year 4 incase he got any ideas, and he hasn't looked back.

Agree involvement plays a big part, like valuing education does, but not sure that either of those things are more prevalent with separated or divorced parents unless separation is a sypmtom of social or mental health/personality problems, in which case it would affect learning.

Having been heavily involved in sporting clubs for years I can tell you there are a lot of divorced families around who are very involved in sport and whose children are doing very well academically (local families I have known for many years).

Julia has firmed further to $1.50 and Rudd has drifted to $2.50.

The see-saw swings again... a little... now $1.60 / $2.25.

Reports that:

• a caucas meeting is expected as early as today to "spill the leadership"
  • Julia will deny any secret ballot (in favour of an old-fashioned show of hands)
  • Rudd supporters claiming they have as many as 57 of the 102 votes in caucas
  • but if Rudd doesn't challenge that some will ask him to resign

And in other news... Rob Oakeshott is quitting politics. Good Riddance.

Rob Oakeshott is quitting politics. Good Riddance.

We all knew that was coming. Despite a previous primary vote of 47% and a fat 12.7% winning margin over his Nationals opponent in 2010, Rob was never going to cut the mustard after his decision to back this minority Labor Govt.

He ran away rather than face the people of Lyne over his decision.

Securing many billions for his community and spent throughout his electorate as a reward for greasing this minority Govt has done him no good in the eyes of the locals. They know the money wasn't there to give in the first place.

Some unknown foreign bank wants it back some day, and is charging interest on the funds until they do. The people of Lyne know that and aren't happy....and Rob knows that.

Thankfully, the final curtain is starting to fall on this entire sordid soap opera.

This Rudd / Gillard era is the worst Federal Govt in our federated history.....even worse than Labor's Whitlam era, if that is possible.

Windsor has stated that if the ALP elect Rudd as their leader, he will support a no-confidence motion.

Two (2) words come to mind. Bolted.....Horse.....

Edit: Speaking shortly on Sky News....

Last edited:
An interesting comment that was made on this topic on another forum I frequent:

"Even if there is a no-confidence motion with Rudd and they go to an election sooner, they will probably lose less seats."

So could it be a case of "the lesser of two evils"? That is....an election sooner under Rudd will see them lose badly... vs.... an election later under Gillard which will see them lose very badly.

And this too....

"As biased as the coverage is in "The Australian", I thought Paul Kelly made two shrewd observations in his column today:

1. In 2010, the reason they dumped Rudd for Gillard on election eve was that they feared an electoral defeat based on the weekly electoral polling, but thought that the polls showed that the public preferred a different leader.
Now, they are again thinking about switching leaders on election-eve because of fear of defeat on the basis of the polls.

2. This contest has no connection to the public interest whatsoever. There is next to no discussion about what Rudd will do, policy-wise, if returned as PM. His own supporters seem clueless on it. The media ignore it. Does anybody care?"

I apologise to the original writers, if the original writers of those posts are also members of SS. They're good posts.

The see-saw swings again... a little... now $1.60 / $2.25.

Reports that:

• a caucas meeting is expected as early as today to "spill the leadership"
  • Julia will deny any secret ballot (in favour of an old-fashioned show of hands)
  • Rudd supporters claiming they have as many as 57 of the 102 votes in caucas
  • but if Rudd doesn't challenge that some will ask him to resign

And in other news... Rob Oakeshott is quitting politics. Good Riddance.

Can he resign from parliament effective immediately???? Would that force an immediate election?

My guess is that Mr Abbott would give him a plum job OS as an ambassador.

Can he resign from parliament effective immediately???? Would that force an immediate election?

Why should he resign. He has publicly done noting except campaign, he will say which is true. Peter

/QUOTE]

Can who resign? KRudd?

Rudd (as any MP) is free to resign (or die) at any stage. When an MP resigns there is usually a by election, where only voters in that seat vote for a new MP (although there is no constitutional requirement to do so) in that seat. If a general election is coming soon then there will normally be no by election.

IMO KRudd will not be resigning before an election.

If that were to happen it would be certain that there were very dodgy dealings happening. But it wouldn't suprise.

Politics is far more complicated than the apparent partisan nature of it. Most of the politicians get along with each other even on the other side of the chamber. I am sure that Rudd has a far better relationship with the Liberals than does Gillard.

Back