ALP Doomed but how many seats will they get?

Julier back in the days..

Attachments

• KirnerNjuliar.jpg
    KirnerNjuliar.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 119
Once again - people can't help themselves.

Instead of answering the original questions about how many seats the ALP are likely to lose, they're back to base human criticisms.

I hear all day every day that people are sick and tired of the catty infighting and childishness that is displayed in Parliament by the vast majority of members and all senators. I'd have to agree.....but then, what the public accuse the politicians of, they seem to be infected with it as well.

Notable exceptions, folk who have held their head high and not indulged in the pathetic behaviour would include ; { Harry Jenkins, Mal Washer and Stephen Smith }.

Those 3 people, all retiring from Parliament, have shown exemplary behaviour. It must be tough to hold it together whilst all around you are losing their cool.

This thread has degenerated into a farce. I'd vote for locking it away.

Once again - people can't help themselves.

Instead of answering the original questions about how many seats the ALP are likely to lose, they're back to base human criticisms.

I hear all day every day that people are sick and tired of the catty infighting and childishness that is displayed in Parliament by the vast majority of members and all senators. I'd have to agree.....but then, what the public accuse the politicians of, they seem to be infected with it as well.

Notable exceptions, folk who have held their head high and not indulged in the pathetic behaviour would include ; { Harry Jenkins, Mal Washer and Stephen Smith }.

Those 3 people, all retiring from Parliament, have shown exemplary behaviour. It must be tough to hold it together whilst all around you are losing their cool.

This thread has degenerated into a farce. I'd vote for locking it away.

Well said Dazz and this is why i normally end up in arguments with people and get accused of supporting one side (often Labor). I cant stand the current Labor govt but silly Juliar comments etc and childish criticism takes away from the real issues and stuff ups that occurred. I expect better from both sides of politics as well as us voters.

It is the same reason i rightfully thought that the silly Abbott and cronies effort in Perth a couple of months ago under a "how many illegal boats have arrived" banner deserved the scorn it received. Petty, appealing to bogan politics.

Well said Dazz and this is why i normally end up in arguments with people and get accused of supporting one side (often Labor). I cant stand the current Labor govt but silly Juliar comments etc and childish criticism takes away from the real issues and stuff ups that occurred. I expect better from both sides of politics as well as us voters.

It is the same reason i rightfully thought that the silly Abbott and cronies effort in Perth a couple of months ago under a "how many illegal boats have arrived" banner deserved the scorn it received. Petty, appealing to bogan politics.

Agree Sanj and with Dazz.

Sadly the system is that the voters in few seats , decide who is in charge. Often they are in edge of the cities where the main politics of boat arrivals, welfare, etc are more of interest that economic security and political vision. Is this democracy?

It would seem it is "neck and neck" now because people LIKE Rudd and DONT LIKE Abbott:eek:

So essentially, politics is now FACEBOOK. Likes matter, content optional.

Perhaps I should had said on the title" If ALP gets in, WE are doomed".

But only us employers and business owners and investors care about economic reality. The average PAYG employee wants more benefits for less real work. IF ALP wins I am getting a job ( back ) in the public service. $100K plus and no stress.

Peter 14.7

Are Liberal ladies more attractive?

Irrelevant. As Irrelevant as are Liberal Men more handsome. Why don't we all vote for High Jackman and Nicole Kidman.

Looks are irrelevant: give me honesty, intelligence and integrity to do what is right than what is easy anyday.

Peter 14.7

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself.

For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”

Marcus Tullius Cicero

be nice if we could get back on topic or close. did like this quote about treachery and treason. would still apply now in politics.

Agree Sanj and with Dazz.

Sadly the system is that the voters in few seats , decide who is in charge. Often they are in edge of the cities where the main politics of boat arrivals, welfare, etc are more of interest that economic security and political vision. Is this democracy?

It would seem it is "neck and neck" now because people LIKE Rudd and DONT LIKE Abbott:eek:

So essentially, politics is now FACEBOOK. Likes matter, content optional.

Perhaps I should had said on the title" If ALP gets in, WE are doomed".

But only us employers and business owners and investors care about economic reality. The average PAYG employee wants more benefits for less real work. IF ALP wins I am getting a job ( back ) in the public service. $100K plus and no stress.

Peter 14.7

I agree with Peter, Sanj and Dazz.

I was originally thinking 44 seats (I think I said so back a few pages).

I still see a Liberal victory - they don't necessarily deserve it, but they deserve it more than the ALP deserves to win it. But I am thinking low 60s for the ALP now.

Puerile comments about looks and things like that are just pathetic and show the lack of class from those making them.

To be honest I think low 60's is a great bet - I'm pretty sure it will be a coalition victory.

However- Anything could happen, this will be one for the true believer. Rudd brings some era score to the table in the sense that the average-joe voter likes him, and there is no doubt he'll deliver a swing.

It will be interesting to see how western Sydney reactions, Gillard was being romped in those areas, and so there may be salvation yet in a couple of the close seats for labor. I'm not too well read on it but I think Rudd made a tactically sound move in (unfortunately) announcing the scrapping of a carbon tax in favour of ETS... it's a wildly unpopular policy and was doing them no good.

Its too bad Rudd only got one question time because he handled himself well. I think he has a good chance to assume the role of a leader who has learned from their mistakes- the Kevin 24/7 Mantra nearly helps him, if he can own the fact that he liked to be involved - but now understand leaders need to take a more moderate role and let the ministry do their job. To top that off -i think people can buy in to a comeback story, so that might help him out a bit.

The coalition need to be careful with how they handle boat-talk. Its disproportionally improtant for some bizzare reason, and Turnbull was already happy to concede defense concerns on Q&A a couple weeks ago. If Abbott is going to have to front up to an debate on the defense, he will have to have some smart advisors to find an angle on future immigration policy. However I suspect the majority of it will come down to Kev's removal of the pacific solution, and the ramifications of that.

interesting times ahead!

When oh when can we stop the speculating and commentary....and simply have an election.

These pathetic "who's your preferred PM" polls drive me nuts.

I think you'd have to be living under a rock to not realise by now that the public get no say in who the Prime Minister is.

The Liberals changed out leaders from Nelson to Turnbull to Abbott with no reference to the people. Labor has gone from Rudd to Gillard and the back to Rudd with no reference to the people.

The focus on Leaders and leaders only is simply a lazy symptom of the media. Get a comment from the leader, and the other 70 odd members of each party don't count. Makes the media's job as easy as pie.

Of course, the other 70 odd lower house members from both sides of politics have an enormous amount to contribute, but alas, they never seem to make it into people's living rooms via the TV or the kitchen table via the newspaper.

Only people in south Brisbane can actually vote for Rudd, and only those just north of Sydney can actually vote for Abbott. Everyone else in the country, the other 14.0 million adults out of the current enrolled 14.2 million will never get a chance to vote for Rudd or Abbott.

I'd encourage everyone to actually meet their current representative.....most people have absolutely no clue who it is, or even which seat they actually belong to.

Only people in south Brisbane can actually vote for Rudd, and only those just north of Sydney can actually vote for Abbott. Everyone else in the country, the other 14.0 million adults out of the current enrolled 14.2 million will never get a chance to vote for Rudd or Abbott.

I'd encourage everyone to actually meet their current representative.....most people have absolutely no clue who it is, or even which seat they actually belong to.
Well they know me quite well ,just got back from the BCC to pay for a permit to to put up a sign paided for myself on the our 32 mts front fence
can take up too 6 weeks depending on the sign and if I don't offend anyone in the street or area ,,if all the boys can fly their flags outside then I don't see any problems,Dazz everyone knows what going on even 82 year old farmers in milking sheds,,Labors only defensive substitute for the last 6 years is blame the last in line and when this period goes down in history as it has and MissGillard will look back with rage and suspicions on what's happened,i just hope the first bloke
'Tim " is ok..

I have. He's a nice bloke in a nice blokey kind of way. :eek:

Just wondering who Labor will roll out to replace the retiring current sitting member.

With all these retirements, I just wonder if Labor are going to be losing more seats. I'd guess that the Libs have been out there for some time on the "campaign" trail knocking on doors. Not sure about Labor, now having to do the same with a new candidate, so soon to the election.

When oh when can we stop the speculating and commentary....and simply have an election.

When the Prime Minister of the day, who enjoys the confidence of Parliament, decides to have one - within the boundaries prescribed by the Constitution. It has always been this way and I have never seen any reason for it to be any different this time.

Personally I think our previous PM's decision to set the election date early was one of her key mistakes - it sets a very bad precedent and pandered to the idea that she wasn't legitimately elected. We don't have fixed terms and election dates in Australia and this term of Parliament has never even got to have a vote of confidence in the Prime Minister's government, despite 81 attempts by the Coalition to have one - imagine the policy debates that could have been had instead of bringing on the same useless motion, with the same argument, 81 times. Amazing the 43rd Parliament was able to pass so much legislation in the face of such juvenile behaviour from the Opposition.

I fear this type of behaviour will be the ultimate undoing of the Coalition's prospects at this election. While it probably serves them right, I get upset about it because it just means another three years of deficits to come... we have to actually be better than the govt if we want to win the voter's trust and this type of dummy spit behaviour is why no-one likes Mr Abbott and don't even look at the team behind him.

I have. He's a nice bloke in a nice blokey kind of way. :eek:

Just wondering who Labor will roll out to replace the retiring current sitting member.

With all these retirements, I just wonder if Labor are going to be losing more seats. I'd guess that the Libs have been out there for some time on the "campaign" trail knocking on doors. Not sure about Labor, now having to do the same with a new candidate, so soon to the election.

I suspect Alannah will get the nod if she wants it, although she and the unions do not like each other imo she is the only person who has a chance of winning it as the Lib candidate is a good one who has been campaigning strongly locally without getting a lot of media attention

When the Prime Minister of the day, who enjoys the confidence of Parliament, decides to have one - within the boundaries prescribed by the Constitution. It has always been this way and I have never seen any reason for it to be any different this time.

Personally I think our previous PM's decision to set the election date early was one of her key mistakes - it sets a very bad precedent and pandered to the idea that she wasn't legitimately elected. We don't have fixed terms and election dates in Australia and this term of Parliament has never even got to have a vote of confidence in the Prime Minister's government, despite 81 attempts by the Coalition to have one - imagine the policy debates that could have been had instead of bringing on the same useless motion, with the same argument, 81 times. Amazing the 43rd Parliament was able to pass so much legislation in the face of such juvenile behaviour from the Opposition.

I fear this type of behaviour will be the ultimate undoing of the Coalition's prospects at this election. While it probably serves them right, I get upset about it because it just means another three years of deficits to come... we have to actually be better than the govt if we want to win the voter's trust and this type of dummy spit behaviour is why no-one likes Mr Abbott and don't even look at the team behind him.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Kudos

This is why i have always said that although the ALP definitely deserves to be turfed out in no way do the Libs deserve to win on current behaviour/performance either.

It will be the Stephen Bradbury of elections, with the least hopeless one winning. Perhaps they will end up surprising us, i certainly hope so.

This came from a Soldier’s wife, some years back. It says it all:

I sat, as did millions of other Australians, and watched as the government underwent a peaceful transition of power twelve months ago.

At first, I felt a swell of pride and patriotism while Julia Gillard took her oath of office .
However, all that pride quickly vanished as I later watched 21 SAS Soldiers in full dress uniform with rifles, fire a 21-gun salute to the Prime Minister.

It was then that I realized how far Australia's military had deteriorated..
Every one of them missed the *****.

Im not sure what it says apart from the fact that this soldier's wife is an idiot.

That was the PM of the country, no matter how much we like or dislike them there needs to be a certain amount of respect for the role.

This came from a Soldier’s wife, some years back. It says it all:

I sat, as did millions of other Australians, and watched as the government underwent a peaceful transition of power twelve months ago.

At first, I felt a swell of pride and patriotism while Julia Gillard took her oath of office .
However, all that pride quickly vanished as I later watched 21 SAS Soldiers in full dress uniform with rifles, fire a 21-gun salute to the Prime Minister.

It was then that I realized how far Australia's military had deteriorated..
Every one of them missed the *****.

Yeah, inciting the assassination over the change in leadership of the democratically elected political party is exactly what the military should be doing :rolleyes:

We don't vote for the leader of the country. We vote for our local representatives, some of which may be the members of a political party. The political party with the majority of seats, or the one that is able to form government with the support of non-party members wins.

From that party, they, and only they, not us, the political party themselves, elects a leader. That person becomes Prime Minister.

Stop with the pointless rhetoric about it not being democratic. It is embarrassing and just shows a lack of understanding about the political process.

Back