An Update...

Friends did the same with their young daughter.

Took off for 12 months and schooled the kid along the way.
Working at whatever came their way, enough to get by on.

Ended up 24 months. That child is now at Uni doing very well.

Choices....make them.:cool:

Fantastic - looking forward to the updates!

If you're coming past Port Macquarie and after what to see/do let us know. :)

All the best and have a safe journey. One of my colleagues did the same when he retired last year. Travelled around Aus with his wife. He was surely rubbing it in when he started sending photos of his travel :D.

Sounds like a great trip! Congrats!

Can I ask - are you intending to have the kids stay down a year (so be a year older at each grade) or will you teach them as you travel and have them stay with their friends in grade next year?

I ask because although I don't intend to do the same, we may have a chance to travel extensively overseas staying in a few countries over several months. Our 2 kids are about the same age. :D

Sounds like a great trip! Congrats!

Can I ask - are you intending to have the kids stay down a year (so be a year older at each grade) or will you teach them as you travel and have them stay with their friends in grade next year?

I ask because although I don't intend to do the same, we may have a chance to travel extensively overseas staying in a few countries over several months. Our 2 kids are about the same age. :D

Both our school age kids are doing pretty well wrt the rest of their class in the basic spelling and maths etc so they should be fine to stay with their cohort when we return. Having helped out in class a fair bit recently I'm pretty confident we could do a pretty good job of teaching them during our time away regardless... at least at this age.

Good onya chief. Great decision. Sounds fantastic.

God speed and safe travels for you and your lovely wife and children. :)

A silver lining story.

I think the kids will get a lot out of it. Make sure they keep a journal of the trip to store a lifelong adventure to tell their Grandkids one day.

When are you off on the big trip?

Thanks again everyone - we're certainly hoping it will be a great family experience for all, even with a relative shortage of hot showers and flushing toilets!

just wondering if the commercial tact has progressed well for you?

Absolutely. Capital growth is all very nice but I've got to say I prefer a strong cash flow for the SANF. Will probably get back to it at some point, depending on what sort of career / business path looks good upon our return. The advantage of just finding a job is to get our hands on that pay slip which the banks find so valuable in allowing us to continue on our CIP journey. In the meantime, shares will be the go for that spare cash lying around...

A silver lining story.

I think the kids will get a lot out of it. Make sure they keep a journal of the trip to store a lifelong adventure to tell their Grandkids one day.

When are you off on the big trip?

About a month away at this point to let the kids finish this term at school and get our act together. The kids will do a blog of some sort for their teachers and the class at school to keep track. Photos of rock art have already been ordered!

Great stuff H.E!

Have a great time.

EDIT: if you are crossing the Nullabor - make sure it is in late June-July and head to the "Head of the Bight" or "Top of the Bight" and see the whales.

There is a really good whale watching Centre there.

There is usually loads of them - I was there last year in late June (on the way back from my Kalgoorlie reno); saw over a dozen there that day. Awesome.

Last edited:
You can purchase a travellIng acroos Australia book for kids to occupy them also. It has some activities such as recording dingo's, emu's, etc.
Education wise - my daughter skipped year 6 completely and my sons teacher bought to my attention in term 4 of year 2 that he was struggling with English and they didn't have time In the classroom to help him. When I got 2 English activity books back at the end of the year they were empty apart from a few pages. I'd say they are both pretty much back on track and have even topped the class a few times since so I really wouldn't be concerned about the school time they will be missing!

What a fabulous opportunity.

My parents took us to Europe for 2 months when in junior high school and we absolutely loved it ... learnt so much ... and still remember so much detail 35 years later.

I think you are doing the right thing and don't worry about the schooling - from all those I know who do home schooling, they find the kids learn a lot faster (finished the day's work by lunchtime) because they don't have to slow down for other kids, learn in more detail and benefit from the one on one attention.

Go for it!

...... finding a job is to get our hands on that pay slip which the banks find so valuable in allowing us to continue on our CIP journey.

Hi Mr HiEquity, always enjoy your posts and insights.
What a great opportunity... well done on grabbing it with both hands.
All the best.

......The kids will do a blog of some sort for their teachers and the class at school to keep track. Photos of rock art have already been ordered!

A blog! Fantastic idea. You never know, it might generate some money for the kids and turn into a great business lesson. :)

HiEquity
We live in the Kimberley. Don't think twice, it'll be a life changing experience. Also, don't miss Alice if you can help it.

You mention property helped achieve this

Just curious

Was the trip funded by equity, or cash flow, savings, or you sold an IP to take a year off?

You mention property helped achieve this

Just curious

Was the trip funded by equity, or cash flow, savings, or you sold an IP to take a year off?

Hi Redwing

Cash flow is funding the trip itself. Our foray into CIP land is responsible for that. We have a setup that is reasonably fuel efficient and still allows us to mostly avoid caravan parks so the trip is unlikely to be too taxing on the finances. The only thing we haven't got with us is a laundry. I hope to average only one or two nights per week in a caravan park but that's because I just don't like them. The kids will probably like the pools / jumping pillows etc so I'm going to have to suck it up on that front.

The toys that allow us to do the trip have been funded by savings but much of that will likely get sold upon our return, unless we like it so much that we keep going!

Not long to go now. Nearly got all the toys and the house sitter is eagerly waiting to move in to our PPOR. It has been a busy few weeks getting everything organised - it would have been about a month ago that we first thought of the idea and have had to buy everything in that timeframe. Our credit card doesn't know itself anymore!

Back