Anti Union homies

Yes some. Re read your post, you were talking in absolutes. You really have never seen one work after 3?
Actually, I have seen a few work after 3........

But never let details get in the way of making a point. ;)

As a group; ordinary work ethic, generally...they could knock over a house build in about 3 months if they pulled their finger out and were fair dinkum for a change.

Is it good or bad? Maybe good; they won't get injuries or burn out as fast if they are on the permanent "go slow".

Sanj, I'm 52 years old. I've seen them in action loads of times, and dealt with absolutely loads of tradies over the years...I know what they are like.

Last edited:
I used to be against unions

However now being in the construction industry I can see the use for them

It does annoy me how they continue to push for pay increases with blatant disregard to macroeconomics. They pushed through double pay for overtime in VIC , guess what, now we don't get any overtime and the company I work for employs casuals on a short term basis to get through the extra work

As for labourers on high pay - to be fair they work 6 days, 54 hour weeks in a dangerous job that is tough on the body, yes there are some bludgers though

I used to be an office worker (accountant) and people in these jobs underestimate the work the other side do ( and vice versa)

Also without unions all the members on here property portfolios would be half of what they are now as labour pay increases are a big part of your capital gains over the years and the 'plebs' couldn't afford to pay your 6% yield

Also without unions all the members on here property portfolios would be half of what they are now as labour pay increases are a big part of your capital gains over the years and the 'plebs' couldn't afford to pay your 6% yield

Speak for yourself, not all.

Most of my Tenants have Pty Ltd as their surname, and none of their business success and hence ability to pay high yields, nor the massive CG we've seen from holding property assets have come from anything to do with wages, let alone unions.

Please don't speak for the entire forum, on some matters you have no concept at all of what you are talking about.

Last edited:
I used to be against unions

However now being in the construction industry I can see the use for them

You've given us the negatives but no positive examples that you say you see.

Can you give us some examples of uses that FWA or Workcover/Worksafe don't cover that require union intervention in the industry.

Didn't you just say overtime has gone and workers are being put on casual?

So from overtime, to double overtime rates, to no overtime?

Didn't you just say overtime has gone and workers are being put on casual?

So from overtime, to double overtime rates, to no overtime?

?
All I was saying is that now they don't give the workers overtime as it is too expensive
They just bring in casuals instead

Yes that is a negative for the union

You've given us the negatives but no positive examples that you say you see.

Can you give us some examples of uses that FWA or Workcover/Worksafe don't cover that require union intervention in the industry.

Those mobs can't be everywhere at once and are often a reactive measure

Unions are meant to be proactive to stop incidents occuring

I'm not some staunch union member and I think they are capable of good and bad things
Just trying to bring a balanced opinion

That's great that you made it all from commercial property Dazz

I'm sorry if you thought I was talking for other people? Just stating what my thoughts were , I should of wrote. 99% to make you happy

?
All I was saying is that now they don't give the workers overtime as it is too expensive
They just bring in casuals instead

Yes that is a negative for the union
Just like I've been saying and saying.

The Unions and their Members always think it's a great and clever thing when they succeed in gouging the Company for some weird perk (other than a simple wage increase), then whinge when folk are laid off down the track.

You don't often see the Unions or its Members saying; "Oh; our Company made a loss of $XYZ for the last 3 years in a row - we better take a pay cut so it doesn't fold and our jobs disappear".

It has happened where workers have elected to do this - but very rare, and I'd wager not a Union controlled workplace. More than happy for someone to prove me wrong.

The counter argument is of course that very profitable Companies should not sack folk and/or move their operation offshore...this has happened too.

The choice there is to not work for them, but that's a "cut nose off to spite face" move, because if no-one works for them they might move OS or close down anyway, and then there are no jobs here.

The counter argument is of course that very profitable Companies should not sack folk and/or move their operation offshore...this has happened too.

I think these companies make these decisions to maintain profits. Yes they may be profitable now, but not if they remain here (Aus). It's no good to a shareholder if the company can turn $XXXX worth of profit now...but stays here (in the face of rising costs) and in a years time is worth $XX ....

Im not going to buy into the left right dichotomy, but I saw a cute bumper sticker the other day,

''Unions, from the people that brought you the weekend''

Whether they have now gone to far in their demands, or whether they havent gone far enough, or whether they are no longer relevant, they did bring us the weekend.......

Im not going to buy into the left right dichotomy, but I saw a cute bumper sticker the other day,

''Unions, from the people that brought you the weekend''

Whether they have now gone to far in their demands, or whether they havent gone far enough, or whether they are no longer relevant, they did bring us the weekend.......

yeah, it's a great notional term, that.....especially with Saturday and Sunday trading.

weekends are awesome if you dont work retail or service or hospitality or medical or nursing or truck driving or....

yeah, it's a great notional term, that.....especially with Saturday and Sunday trading.

weekends are awesome if you dont work retail or service or hospitality or medical or nursing or truck driving or....

um, it wouldnt have a special name like 'sunday trading' if we didnt have the weekend. And the weekend came from the union movement.

We would all be stuck down salt mines 16 hours a day 7 days a week otherwise, cept for the hard workers amoungst us who would have saved their money instead of buying food from the company shop, and invested it in capital and pulled themselves up by their bootstraps of course.

um, it wouldnt have a special name like 'sunday trading' if we didnt have the weekend. And the weekend came from the union movement.

We would all be stuck down salt mines 16 hours a day 7 days a week otherwise, cept for the hard workers amoungst us who would have saved their money instead of buying food from the company shop, and invested it in capital and pulled themselves up by their bootstraps of course.

Like a lot of us do now. :confused:

A lot of us have been fed up with long hours and worked hard to save money by not spending it on OS holidays in Bali and pulled us up to live a comfortable life now or in the near future.

Back