Anticipation of death is scarier than death itself

Has anyone come across this term, I've always find it fascinating

At the moment, I am of the edge of my seat, waiting for some news (either good or bad), and this feeling is not pleasant :mad:

yup. also similar quote about fear...

I was waiting for some test results a couple of weeks ago. Decided we are all dying, just some of us get a heads up before it happens.

At the moment, I am of the edge of my seat, waiting for some news (either good or bad), and this feeling is not pleasant :mad:

Yeah, I'm terrified of death. I'd love to be a religious person and think there was a heaven, but I'm not. It would make it easier if you got the bad news one day, even if it was all just a fairy tail?

Do religious people really believe there is a heaven? I often wonder this? If they did, why are they sad at a funeral? It should be a big party if they thought there was something else to go to! It doesn't make any sense? Funerals are full of sad people. I think most people whether they are religious or not, really think that death is the end as I do. People aren't that silly are they?

See ya's.

I'm with you, TC. The older I get the more I wish I was religious and believed in a heaven. It must be very comforting. A bloke I know killed himself the week before last. He was a Christian as are his family. I was relieved for them that they were able to believe he had gone to a better place. I just reckon he's dead.

off topic a little, but still about death .....
There is a test these days to find out whether you are a candidate for Alzheimer's disease, which is basically a slow death sentence, slowly losing your mind when you eventually don't recognise or know anyone, its a cruel disease. I often wonder why would anyone want this test, to actually know this is what they have to look forward to. There is no cure.

Yeah, I'm terrified of death. I'd love to be a religious person and think there was a heaven, but I'm not. It would make it easier if you got the bad news one day, even if it was all just a fairy tail?

Do religious people really believe there is a heaven? I often wonder this? If they did, why are they sad at a funeral? It should be a big party if they thought there was something else to go to! It doesn't make any sense? Funerals are full of sad people. I think most people whether they are religious or not, really think that death is the end as I do. People aren't that silly are they?

See ya's.

I think this quote was more relating to the notion of "fear"
Death is only used in conjunction to better describe this quote

But from a religious perspective, regardless there is a "heaven" or not, which will probably come under a separate heading.

When one passes to the other side (if there is one), and leaves the one we currently standing on, those who remains here will be sadden of the "lost" that dear person is no longer here with them here.
Will they celebrate whether that person is in a better place, probably not.. They will be missed by those who are left behind I would have imagined, hence the sadness

I hope your news is good news :).

Thanks buddy, its not so much the end result that is putting me on the edge, but rather this notion of "unknown" and the anticipation of the result :mad:

Put it simply, get it over and done with..... would have been much better

A great book on similar topics, if you're interested: http://www.bookdepository.com/Undertaking-Thomas-Lynch/9780393334876

off topic a little, but still about death .....
There is a test these days to find out whether you are a candidate for Alzheimer's disease, which is basically a slow death sentence, slowly losing your mind when you eventually don't recognise or know anyone, its a cruel disease. I often wonder why would anyone want this test, to actually know this is what they have to look forward to. There is no cure.

I think knowing it's going to happen might help them to plan for the day when it does happen. There are lots of things to consider - assets, nursing home, power of attorney etc. Easier for the person to decide these things rather than have the decisions forced onto a loved one.

I was going to write something deep and meaningful, but each to their own on how they view death. People's own belief system is all that's needed when your earthly body takes its last breath.

Having seen relatives pass away, I can say that they are generally at peace with themselves at that solemn moment.

Hopefully the wait is over soon, and the news is good.

FWIW, I'm religious, and believe in heaven. When I go to funerals I am sad because I will miss the person, but comforted knowing that there is something better coming.

I think knowing it's going to happen might help them to plan for the day when it does happen. There are lots of things to consider - assets, nursing home, power of attorney etc. Easier for the person to decide these things rather than have the decisions forced onto a loved one.

You can still plan, infact we should all be planning as we get older. Alzheimers is a disease that generally occurs later in life.

I certainly would not want to know I can look forward to this diagnosis, it would really stuff up my psyche and living in the moment/today.

If I end up with Alzheimers then so be it, I would rather find out in my later years in life, not now. How depressing would this be???

Totally different scenario if it is a disease that if detected early can save your life, ie breast cancer gene

Cheers
MTR:)

You can still plan, infact we should all be planning. Alzheimers is a disease that generally occurs later in life.

I certainly would not want to know I can look forward to this diagnosis, it would really stuff up my psyche and living in the moment/today.

If I end up with Alzheimers then so be it, I would rather find out in my later years in life, not now. How depressing would this be???

Totally different scenario if it is a disease that if detected early can save your life, ie breast cancer gene

Cheers
MTR:)

There was a show on Australian Story on ABC1 last night dealing with this very issue. Christine Bryden was diagnosed with dementia 20 years ago and given a few years to live. Still alive today and doing inspirational things.

See ya's.

Not all that many religious people are comforted, trust me. The funeral is to mourn the loss of a loved one and a reflection on ones own life, not so much to party that they have moved onto a better place (though it is a comforting thought).

Humans cannot grasp the concept of non-existence. It is beyond our comprehension as is the idea that the universe is endless. It is the fear of the unknown and the pain of dying that freaks me out.

There is a scene in the play Rosencrantz & Guildenstern where people discuss being dead that reminds me of how such a discussion really is meaningless.

"ROS: It's silly to be depressed by it. I mean one thinks of it like being alive in a box, one keeps forgetting to take into account the fact that one is dead? Which should make all the difference? Shouldn't it? I mean, you'd never know you were in the box, would you? It would be just like being asleep in a box. Not that I'd like to sleep in a box, mind you, not without any air? You'd wake up dead, for a start, and then where would you be? Apart from inside a box."

My religion in short, simply states that heaven is being close to God and hell is being far from God. It isn't a physical realm (as many of my friends seem to see it) so it is beyond our comprehension and understanding. Therefore not to worry about it and live in the present.

Actually it's only the ego that fears death not yourself, as there is no- self

Back