Any thoughts on iPAD

update on our ipad purchase

Just giving an update on the ipad.

We bought one about 12 months ago and I have to say it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. It is used every day by all members of the family. The child (who is now 5) watches kids movies on it - in bed on a weekend morning, in the car/plane, on holidays and contrary to some opinions, she hasnt managed to break it yet (we do have a protective rubbery cover on it). We have found it has been educational too as we have loaded a few apps that she has been using to learn letters, numeracy and memory games (goes to school next year).

I use it every night in bed to do a bit of forum posting, checking emails and playing solitaire (which helps to get me to sleep). The other half and I have used it a few times to watch some funny itune clips in bed so as not to disturb the child (the only draw back with this is it wont play some video clips - Flash clips????) but I believe the ipad 2 can?

It goes in the car with us for trips into town- to entertain the child, as a map, to check out locations of businesses, to entertain me when the other half wants to inspect every tool that Gasweld/Toolies has on sale.

I drove to Sydney with it yesterday and paid a few bills from it. I parked at Darling Harbour and had to find the Commonwealth Bank building (which in hindsight was very easy to find) and I used the maps app to tell me where I was and how to get to the building.

It fits easily into my bags and doesnt weigh enough to be a pain.

I have taken it on the train from Newcastle to Sydney and read a book I had stored in google docs.

I use it in the kitchen to get receipes on line to cook.

It went to Fiji with us last Christmas and was used on the aircraft and in the resort room. The available entertainment on the TV in Fiji was crap so the child watched movies, played games on it at night.

It has been used so much that we will be getting another one soon with a larger memory. Not sure who will get that. We will be loading alot more movies for the child so it depends how many movies we can fit on the first ipad.

What I haven't used it for is a digital picture frame - it doesn't stay in one spot long enough.

Im not a Apple freak who must have every device that they put out so although this post sounds like an ad for ipad, we genuinely get so much use out of it that I can honestly say that the ipad is pretty much near the top of the most useful and best value for money items I have ever bought. Worth every cent we paid for it.

PS: as someone in earlier posts said............ It is all about the apps!

Last edited:
I use my iPad a lot (using it now). Doing a bit of Uni and it's really handy. I read a lot of eBooks, documents, financial reports, etc on it. My daughter inherited my netbook which I don't use much anymore.

I'll probably end up getting another one but not too soon. I might end up getting an android tablet though, depends on my mood when I'm ready to get another tablet.

I see there's a huge sale on the HP TouchPad tablet as HP exit the PC Market after being the industry leader, I think Dell was #2?

Yep, fellow iPad fan here.

I use it much more than I anticipated. Particularly for reading and watching news via some of the apps (SBS, ABC, etc) and watching docos on youtube.

Cheers

Jamie

Got an iPad 6 months ago. I love it. It's great to quickly check something on the web. Much simpler & easier than using a PC.

The kids love it too. They use it more than me. They found some educational aps.

It's great to take on holidays. Load up a few movies & you're set.

Definitely a great purchase.

Great to know I am not the only ipad fan.:)

I havent really checked out the other tablets - Im happy with the ipad.

I also use it much more than I anticipated. Thats not to say that I wouldnt use any other tablet device less. Ive never had a note pad so I cant compare but its just a handy size. I can whip it out of my bag and be on the internet in 10 seconds. I did have my reservations when we first got it as I thought it could possibly be a bit of a novelty and then be discarded but once we got the hang of how to use it, got a few apps and movies and remembered to always take it with us on trips out - we use it more now than when we first got it.

I also like to watch docos on Youtube, usually in bed (in Winter).

It would probably be good as a IP hunting tool as well, when your out and about. Hmmm could I claim in on my tax as an essential tool for my IP business??????????? :rolleyes:

I wonder what the next generation of computing devices will bring? Would any of us have dreamed of an ipad 20 years ago? Exciting times in technology!!!!!

:)

I have had mine for a year and use it way more than expected too.

I prefer reading news and forums with the iPad over the normal pc, there is nothing easier for having in front of the tv.

Really the only thing that annoys me is the lack of having flash.

Almost all my somersoft time is via iPad, I love it :)

For some reason I have it in my head that Flash will be supported on ipad 2 or the next generation of ipads.

Can anyone confirm this?

ipad2 has a camera as well - good for skyping I suppose?

We bought an ipad to use as a travel aid around the UK earlier this year.
Bought a sim card at Heathrow and away we went.

It was used for:-
GPS
Booking accommadation
Emailing home
Updating Facebook so family could see what were up to.
Getting info on attractions.
History lessons on visited castles.
Writing reviews.
Playing games.
Checking weather forecast.

Now it just sits on the couch, but is still used most days.

A great bit of technology.

We bought an iPad 2 for the kids. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;) Loaded it up with free kids/learning games from the app store. My (almost) 2 year old can nearly navigate himself around with ease.

Some of the interactive books are mindblowing.

Also:

- Watch movies/youtube videos
- Browse the web/facebook/twitter
- Read the newspaper
- Play games
- Listen to music
- Play music
- Read email
- Video chat with inlaws

It's a nifty device. :)

RE hunting app

Incidentally. I just went through my emails and realestate.com.au has just launched a brand new ipad app. Anyone got it yet?

For some reason I have it in my head that Flash will be supported on ipad 2 or the next generation of ipads.

Can anyone confirm this?

ipad2 has a camera as well - good for skyping I suppose?

I highly doubt it ...unfortunately :(

Apple seem to like pushing for the use of HTML5 instead of Flash.

Incidentally. I just went through my emails and realestate.com.au has just launched a brand new ipad app. Anyone got it yet?

Well, I will now. Also the Apps are cool and games. Currently playing a game hunting bears, which I think is appropriate in current market conditions. ;)

A friend was demonstrating his ipad connected to a blue tooth keyboard today. It seemed like a great replacement for a windows notebook.
I'd be interested in others' views.

A friend was demonstrating his ipad connected to a blue tooth keyboard today. It seemed like a great replacement for a windows notebook.
I'd be interested in others' views.

really? That sounds awesome...don't have an iPad yet but will get one next time

i dont have one yet but everyone i know has one and there are so many interactive games and apps educational for kids that can entertain them anywhere at home on the plane in the car. most families i know have 2.

so would 32 g be enough or is 64 g much better

and is ipad 2 really much better than ipad 1 besides that you can take and play videos on it.

Last edited:
my mother has an ipad and lets her nephews use it
they love it

and when im around i use it aswell the games are good too way better than trying to use an iphone

i really like the fact its on in the touch of a button
pretty responsive and easy to use
im even trying to convince the old man to use it for lotto results, check his websites,

i just go to the re website on it mite have to test the app out

its pretty handy but i cant justify it for myself but in my mothers case how everyone uses it its well worth the money
if apple let you plug usb items in instead of only letting there stuff work it would be alot better
also good with tethering from iphone to ipad via bluetooth (so dont need to get the 3g version)
or any phone that has an app to make a wifi hotspot

also unless your installing a heap of crap and a heap of pics and a heap of movies id say go the 32gb
my phone has 32gb and i barely use any of that even while using it as a "usb stick" and downloading torrents through it

another pro is if you own an iphone you can sync all ur apps etc so getting twice as much value from them

Back