sounds like you are dying rather than living.

Eating takeaway most days living - you're kidding me :confused:.

Kim has problems managing money and finding a balance in how she lives some aspects of her life. That happens ;).

It's likely she'd have the same issues if not owning property (renting). Zillions of people do regardless of how much they earn.

Get over it.

I haven't read much of the thread Alex but there is no correlation between the number of take-aways eaten and quality of life.

I'm a mechanic, not a cook, but even I have learnt to do a decent breakfast. A bacon short-cut each, an egg for me, pineapple ring each, beetroot, onion and capsicum, tomato in season and a slice of toast costs less than $2.50 all up. (Oh that's for two)

Mrs H buys a variety of tasty meats and fresh vegies and four adults eat well usually, I suspect, for under $20. We do the washing up immediately and there's no hassle.

I'm a mechanic, not a cook, but even I have learnt to do a decent breakfast. A bacon short-cut each, an egg for me, pineapple ring each, beetroot, onion and capsicum, tomato in season and a slice of toast costs less than $2.50 all up. (Oh that's for two)

Yummm.
I still haven't tried making this yet...but I plan to some day.

Great news. I have a $4,200 tax return! I did the calculations and my position isnt as serious as I thought. Minus the $1000 loan mum gave me I have $6,000 now to my name! I will make sure this money sees me through to the end of the next financial year. I have a few expenses coming up including the usual rates, water and a huge $680 RCD for my PPOR, rates, water etc to pay.

I've been looking at ways to cut costs further at the shops. Another example... the other day I decided to ditch the porridge... too b*** expensive (plus too sugary) I bought a huge 1.1 kg homebrand weet bix for $3.99. haha compare that to $5 for porridge which only lasts me 1 - 2 weeks. I am balanced too though. I saw some lovely cherries, of which I bought 5 for 60 cents :D All in moderation hey... gotta live a little!

I've been looking at ways to cut costs further at the shops. Another example... the other day I decided to ditch the porridge... too b*** expensive (plus too sugary) I bought a huge 1.1 kg homebrand weet bix for $3.99.

Expensive :p

Buy home brand oats, 750grams $0.99.

Mix 1 cup of oats, 1 cup of milk, microwave it for a minute or so, add what you enjoy most (cinnamon powder, nuts, walnuts, yoghurt, honey, flax seed, etc..). Dead cheap and even healthier than the weet bix :)

Interesting the tags you used for this thread:

"baked beans, cashflow, income, misery, mortgage stress, repayments, stress"

I wonder who's gonna use the "baked beans" keyword to search for a topic similar to this :D

Expensive :p

Buy home brand oats, 750grams $0.99.

Mix 1 cup of oats, 1 cup of milk, microwave it for a minute or so, add what you enjoy most (cinnamon powder, nuts, walnuts, yoghurt, honey, flax seed, etc..). Dead cheap and even healthier than the weet bix :)

spaghetti is very cheap as well
A 500g packet costs 75c @ ALDI

An interesting read

1st up, good on you for the weight loss, great work

2ndly, great work on cutting back and being frugal now to look after your future, many people cant/wont do it to their long term detriment.

I see you have hit the weetbix, I have eaten them for years with no sugar, they fill me up but dont realy have a taste but as long as i have a fully belly I am all good :)

I liked rixters suggestion here : http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=806774&postcount=45

I do the same thing, pay everything on CC and then pay off the CC every month, live off the banks money and earn points.

This wouldnt work for everyone, some people wouldnt be able to control their CC spending and it would hurt them, it jut depends on who you are and if you can control the spending.

Another thing to note is if you earn points from a CC or shopping card etc use it on something that saves you money, dont spend points on a flash toaster or a handbag, use the points for a $$$ fuel voucher or store credit at woolies/coles where you would shop anyway. Also some options are more worthwhile than others, eg you get a better deal on a caltex fuel card than just a cash rebate.

Some other things

- ditch cable tv if you have it

- ditch the smokes or booze

- if you pay in cash, pay in notes and when you get home put the change into a jar. It means that when you look in your wallet it looks like you have less money (less notes) and makes you more frugal in your spending but the reality is your change container will hold a decent amount of $$$. i used to do this alot a few years ago and every month I would have $100 in change that was at home not being spent rather than having a note in my wallet tempting me to spend it

- Review what you own and sell stuff, whether it is books, collectables etc. Get serious wih what you really want to own and flog off the rest, depending on your hobbies you might be sitting in a couple of hundred $$$ worth of stuff

- reward yourself, whether it is every month or 3 months or a specific goal, once you achieve it and been good with your spending etc then buy yourself a nice meal or a tshirt etc. it doesnt have to cost alot but just be something that you normally wouldnt buy because of your current position.

- Share with friends and socialize. Keep seeing friends you dont have to go out for coffee and lunch, visit people, invite friends around have a chat, be actie in your friends group you dont have to spend $$$ to do that. While seeing friends borrow dvds or xbox games or board games. Saves everyone $$ and still lets you have some fun and entertainment

Good luck with it all!

Was going to say, how is porridge expensive? Its $1 for a decent sized bag and that makes HEAPS of breakfasts :confused: Tastes nicer than weetbix too.

We've decided to change the diet in this house for health reasons more than saving money. 1/4 the refined carbs per meal, really up the veggies (although they will be frozen, fresh costs a fortune) and cut down meat a little but exchange things like sausages for lean cuts, dice them ourselves and have stir fries a lot more. The other half is completely stalled on weight loss and he's the one that eats all the bread and pasta in this house.

Catch is The Child hates stir fries, no matter what ingredients you use (and I'm not kidding, two stir fries with NOTHING in common will be hated equally) she hates them. Still eats them, but whines constantly all through dinner. She can't say what it is about stir fries she hates either, which doesn't surprise me because she still can't tell chicken/beef/pork/lamb apart by the taste, the only two she can pick are whole roast chicken and pork with crackling (because they LOOK different), otherwise she tells meat apart by guessing her way through the list of possibilities until she hits the right one.

At last you answered regarding your cleaning lady.

I to hate with a passion house work. I work fulltime with two horrid teenagers, dogs, cats, 4 x2, and with no disrespect you have a small appartment, single no animals!!!!!!!!! I have a garden to maintain as well. I really think you need to be brave and let that cleaner go.

An interesting read

1st up, good on you for the weight loss, great work

2ndly, great work on cutting back and being frugal now to look after your future, many people cant/wont do it to their long term detriment.

- if you pay in cash, pay in notes and when you get home put the change into a jar. It means that when you look in your wallet it looks like you have less money (less notes) and makes you more frugal in your spending but the reality is your change container will hold a decent amount of $$$. i used to do this alot a few years ago and every month I would have $100 in change that was at home not being spent rather than having a note in my wallet tempting me to spend it

thanks, yep i caught myself before it was too late, realised the problem and have taken steps to rectify.

the coin jar tip sounds good! i might try that. So what do i do? pay with a note and then just empty all the coins into a jar when i get home. But wouldn't I just end up going to the cash machine to get more notes (cos my purse is now empty). hmmm not sure i get it :confused: I'll give it a go though!

I used an enevelope budgeting system way back when to great effect, whenever I was paid the wages were divided up into various envelopes each labelled as to a specific category.

I would then make purchases and payments from the cash in the envelopes, I did away with a credit card for that period and it was cash only and a daily diary of "to do lists", due dates for bills etc and reminders for events, I even kept a running total for savings as it was motivational to see the increases

google envelope budgeting system

The idea is it makes you spend less as you run out of your money in your purse quicker and don't end up raiding the coin jar until you really need it.

Back