anyone know East Cannington area?

Seriously, if it wasn't for the mining boom, who would want to live here?

Lived in Melbourne for three years (and loved it) and traveled to most parts of Australia and always come back to Perth :D

The secrets out and Perth is/has transitioned from a big country town to a true capital city, probably because of TMB.

I remember the days of rosters to. Driving around with Dad on a Sunday to get petrol. I always used to think "why doesn't he fill up on Fridays"?

Also had an awesome childhood in Perth and the vast majority live in comparative comfort and safety. Thats what I see, but maybe I'm in a bubble, LOL.

Think I'll go visit Sydney tonight - just so not feeling good about Perth. Only reason I'm looking here is because I want something I can at least do a reno on, and it's convenient if the place you're reno-ing is where you live.

Reason I have a bad feeling about Perth is that even though this mining boom supposedly still has steam in it, I think it's reached its peak. Without resources in WA, what other reason is there for people to come to Perth? It's hardly a vibrant cosmopolitan city ... look at the city centre, two crap malls and a a handful of pubs.

Main inner-city entertainment district - Northbridge.

Theatre - rubbish at Burswood, and we miss most big acts, though i believe Springsteen is in town at present. Even the Big Day out is caput. If you think of going somewhere for a city holiday within Australia, you think Sydney or Melbourne, but never Perth. We may as well be in a different country over here.

Prices here are ridiculous; I don't think we will have enough of a growing population to fill all the tiny boxes people are building. Seriously, if it wasn't for the mining boom, who would want to live here?

Western Australia has been the backbone of the Aussie economy in recent years.
Most of the major iron ore/gas mines have long 20year+ lifespans and during that time I'm sure more deposits will be found. The world is constantly getting bigger and resources that WA has play a big part. Sure we may have high labour costs etc etc compared to places like Brazil and Africa but we are still closest to china and India and all our infrastructure to manage these mines are more efficient I'm sure. WA has a bright future ahead and still making a name for itself IMO.

The only thing I like about Perth is being close to Bangkok and India for work.

I miss Brisbane.

Sorry, but from out outsiders POV, Perth is still a country town, it's brisbane 20 years ago.

And it's flat.

And sandy.

It gets no rain.

My cuttings go mouldy before they shoot.

:(

Yes, it is sandy, flat and gets no rain. But it is Perth!!

I have been to Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra for a few days only during a winter. And I love Perth :) This is our hometown.

I have 3/3 tenants that have relocated and want to stay in Perth.
One of the things i liked about Perth over Brisbane was that there was less traffic. It's quickly catching up.

Lol Drager. There's a way to fix traffic problems. Tunnels. Brisbane has so many tunnels now and the traffic is still bad, so they're putting in more tunnels. I don't get out and about much so traffic doesn't really affect me.

So nice things about Perth -

proximity to beaches. ( I don't like sand, hence I don't like beaches.)

colder in winter than in Brisbane - and a longer autumn and winter than in Brisbane - I like cold

very little humidity, Brisbane has what I call *fat air* - you walk out of aircon and it's so stifling and oppressive you can hardly breathe.

Perths' rivers don't flood out thousands of houses every 30 or so years.

No storms = less chance of a tree falling on you and killing you.

I can fly return to Bali for two for $446 from Perth.

Am struggling to find more positives ...

I like brisbane for the heat and humidity and the proximity to hawaii. south bank is nice but other than that can't think of many pluses, I think it's always been a bit backward compared to perth but I have always found the people to be very friendly, tho last time I struck a few odd ones... get that everywhere tho. oh the taxi drivers are terrible too, but I assume they are just as bad here

Western Australia has been the backbone of the Aussie economy in recent years.
Most of the major iron ore/gas mines have long 20year+ lifespans and during that time I'm sure more deposits will be found. The world is constantly getting bigger and resources that WA has play a big part. Sure we may have high labour costs etc etc compared to places like Brazil and Africa but we are still closest to china and India and all our infrastructure to manage these mines are more efficient I'm sure. WA has a bright future ahead and still making a name for itself IMO.

The boat for building new mines has sailed. No miner will commit new funds as it would be suicide for their share price.

The current ones will be leverage to the max in terms of productivity and we will see the sector operate at higher volumes with greater efficiency. But remember to operate a mine, you don't need so many people and through the boom, a lot of fat has built up at some mines.

The construction boom up north has slowed, the only new mine is Roy Hill.

Btw: There are heaps of more deposits up north in iron ore, the problem is, it's pretty damn hard to get them financed at the moment.

I do think Perth will grow though. It's cheaper than Syd and Melb and you can live near the beach/city for a comparatively good price.

but it's still perth : (

I know. But in the end we all have a choice, and no-one is forced to live here. I moved here and found it hard to adjust but I made the choice and thus have to live with it/make it work.

tbh, this month has been great with fringe festival, perth international arts festival and chinese new year. Northbridge has been buzzing!

Back