anyone know East Cannington area?

interesting Perth convo.

Can't remember the last time I heard someone mention "Dullsville" it certainly has changed dramatically in the last few years.

I've lived in London and Melbourne and always come back for what I felt used to be a higher standard of living. Particularly when it was cheap. I feel it is going through an awkward transitory phase as it grows into an international city much like a teen going through puberty with issues such as congestion, high cost of living etc but the pluses of more nightlife, restaurants, arts scene, etc.

I know of many South Africans and poms that would give their right arm to settle permanently, particularly in the northern corridor and am surprised that despite the expense, they still seem to be coming in their droves.

honestly the only people who consider it dullsville in 2014 are people who are dull themselves. the place has come on leaps and bounds and for anyone to suggest there isnt much to do here at the very same time that PIAF, Fringe and a whole host of other things are on needs to get out more.

the food scene here is increasingly outstanding and the arts scene is blossoming too. music scene has always been good here and the fact that perth arena ranked 22 in the worlds top 200 highest selling venues kind of flies in the face of the claim that most of the big acts done come here

then again i must admit im looking at this logically and with the glass half full which could be my mistake.

honestly the only people who consider it dullsville in 2014 are people who are dull themselves

bang on, it's what you make of it.

Bored? Try taking up a sport or hobby, join a community group, volunteer, etc. This applies wherever you are.

Lack of live theatre, lack of musicals, not everyone wants to join a club or visit Elizabeth Quays, so I must be a dull person, oh well, each to their own.

Lack of live theatre, lack of musicals, not everyone wants to join a club or visit Elizabeth Quays, so I must be a dull person, oh well, each to their own.

lack of live theatre?? seriously??

as someone who is friends with a few of people involved in the live theatre scene in perth you are pretty far off. there are even some friends who graduated from places like NIDA who are for once happy to be in perth because there is more to do when it comes to performing.

have you even looked at the fringe and PIAF programs?

the arts scene in perth is thriving and that includes live theatre, comedy etc.

sorry to say but yes, if you honestly find perth dull at the same time that PIAF, Fringe and a whole host of other things are on the problem may be with you and not Perth. sorry if that sounds harsh.

of course this isnt to say that there isnt a lot of room for improvement but this is a genuinely great place to live in at the moment. your comments might have been valid 5 years ago but they are antiquated today.

whatever, on here to discuss property not the virtues of Perth ... you can't seriously compare the theatre scene in Perth to Sydney or Melbourne.

Heck, we only just got late night shopping at Coles, 20 years behind the rest of the country.

whatever, on here to discuss property not the virtues of Perth ... you can't seriously compare the theatre scene in Perth to Sydney or Melbourne.

Heck, we only just got late night shopping at Coles, 20 years behind the rest of the country.

seriously? your response is "whatever"?

no one is comparing the scenes, im just disputing your claim that it barely exists.

if you really do enjoy the theatre get out, enjoy it and support it. there is some great stuff happening. the scenes over east didnt grow by chance, they did because of a lot of people working hard on it and punters supporting it. you burying your head in the sand does nothing good whatsoever.

completely agree with you re trading hours but i fail to see what that has to do with the arts scene? is there a tenuous link i missed?

the original post was about lack of things, be it art, theatre, shopping hours, in perth, not just theatre.

and my point is 2 of those things, art and theatre, arent lacking. just give it a go, if youre going to have to live here why not open your eyes to what is actually happening out there?? it makes no sense to me. also, musically it isnt lacking either, despite your claim that most of the big acts skip perth. that simply isnt true.

anyway ive said my peace. my intention is not to argue with you, i just get irritated by unfounded negativity because a lot of people have worked very hard to turn things around. the dullsville tag was once certainly deserved but using it now really makes no sense to me and undermines a lot of the effort people have put in.

Whatever. You can't compare Perth and Melbourne if you look at culture and the arts. If you look at the weather though, Perth romps it in. I love Perth weather. I have lived in most of the capital cities in Australia and I really like Perth the best.

Whatever. You can't compare Perth and Melbourne if you look at culture and the arts. If you look at the weather though, Perth romps it in. I love Perth weather. I have lived in most of the capital cities in Australia and I really like Perth the best.

actually you can compare it. melbourne's is significantly better of course but the gap is closing and no longer is perth's a simple afterthought.

feel free to consider yourself more knowlegable on the topic than a whole host of people who actually work in the industry and actual studies done into the topic though

http://www.crikey.com.au/2013/02/15/perths-boom-drives-a-healthy-arts-scene/?wpmp_switcher=mobile

"When Crikey examined the long-term attendance data for Australia?s major performance companies last year, Western Australia stood out. The eastern states have seen flatlining attendance figures while the west is attracting bigger audiences."

"?There?s always been that idea of the cultural cringe, where we feel as though our local music is fine if you just want to go out and see a band, but we?ve always felt that there?s a certain gap in quality between stuff that?s produced on a local scale and internationally. I don?t think that that?s the case any more.?

Attendances for Fringe festival over the last 3 years have grown from 50k to 90k to 215k with that figure set to be smashed this year. over 400% growth in 3 years.

Attendances for PIAF are also up strongly this year.

Im sorry but the stats as well as my experiences simply dont support the claims the 2 of you are making.

An indication of how quickly things are changing and how people are embracing it:

"A survey of more than one thousand 2012 Fringe World audience members and more than two
thousand eight hundred 2013 attendees indicated that:
? 44% of 2012 respondents and 49% of 2013 respondents are not regular attendees at arts
events.
? 76% of 2012 respondents and 70% of 2013 respondents would have stayed at home if Fringe
World had not been happening.
? 86% of respondents in 2012 and 90% of 2013 respondents said that Fringe World increased
their pride in Perth.
? 83% of 2012 respondents and 89% of 2013 respondents said that Fringe World promoted
Perth as a city that is globally connected.
? 99% said that they intended to attend Fringe World again in 2013 and 201420."

actually you can compare it. melbourne's is significantly better of course but the gap is closing and no longer is perth's a simple afterthought.

feel free to consider yourself more knowlegable on the topic than a whole host of people who actually work in the industry and actual studies done into the topic though
I didn't say that Perth isn't improving, it is. It just doesn't have the established arts culture that Melbourne does, yet. You admit that Melbourne's is significantly better and yet continue that "Im sorry but the stats as well as my experiences simply dont support the claims the 2 of you are making."

I'm not hating on Perth. I love Perth and would not live anywhere else.

Sanj, I went to both the fringe and PIAC, and found they were great. But what about other times in the year?

I believe that crikey article is talking more about increasing attendances in Perth. It doesn't make sense to compare the uptake rate of performances. There are simply much less in Perth than over east (MEL/SYD, I dont know about Brisbane) due to numbers.

interesting Perth convo.

Can't remember the last time I heard someone mention "Dullsville" it certainly has changed dramatically in the last few years.

I've lived in London and Melbourne and always come back for what I felt used to be a higher standard of living. Particularly when it was cheap. I feel it is going through an awkward transitory phase as it grows into an international city much like a teen going through puberty with issues such as congestion, high cost of living etc but the pluses of more nightlife, restaurants, arts scene, etc.

I know of many South Africans and poms that would give their right arm to settle permanently, particularly in the northern corridor and am surprised that despite the expense, they still seem to be coming in their droves.

RSA is full of crime, hence would expect the ones with $$$ to move out.

I definitely find there is more racism in Perth though. I've experienced more here than my whole life elsewhere. That is the factor that pisses me off the most. The others, like Sanj said, are changing.

Other times of the year there is a lot more happening too. There really is. Of course there should be more but the way we are going to get more is by supporting what is actually there and helping the scene to grow instead of standing from afar and pretending it doesnt exist.

Okay, I will now put on my one woman show in Hay Street Mall, tonight - 7.30pm - look for the fat Greek mama with the big hair leading the Zorba :p See you there Sanj.

Is a rentable 4 bed brick and tile in East Cannington on 1017sqm for $630K - 12.7k to city - a good price?

I would be doing a retain and build, don't think it's in proposed rezoning area.

You could get a triplex block in Spearwood or Hami Hill for that no problem. Which is near the new Coogee Marina, Freo, close to Fiona Stanley hospital and not too far from Cockburn Central train station or even Perth. No brainer for me.

The rest of this thread is quite funny because I was having a chat with a mate last Saturday night while we were having a couple of beers at the fringe festival in town. His Irish and Kiwi colleagues were complaining that there is nothing to do in Perth. They didnt know it was even on, talk about living under a rock, we concluded that Perth is at the stage now, if you find Perth boring then it is your problem, there is simply too much on.

Back