bath tub hair crack ,could I diy

Got hair thin crack in tub as photo attached.

Will it cause leak?
Could I paint it using sth like white knight tub & basin paint or I have to call tradie?

Any one got any experience ? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20150331_080510.jpg
    IMG_20150331_080510.jpg
    772 KB · Views: 108
No I haven't. I saw some water mark downstairs ceiling . it make me correlate that to this crack.

It was there for 2 years.

The problem with paint or fillers is that when people step on it there will be movement.
I'm with Scott - time for a new tub (especially if there is a room below).

Got hair thin crack in tub as photo attached.

Will it cause leak?
Could I paint it using sth like white knight tub & basin paint or I have to call tradie?

Any one got any experience ? Thanks.

I would not try the quick fix,a new tub is not that high in dollars,plumbing costs would not be that high also,plus the ato picks up the tab..

I just went through a similar process, tried to silicone (mold appears after awhile), use porcelain repair as advised by Selleys helpline, did not work! Got a few quotes to "resurface" ranging from $600 to $800. A mate who is a building supervisor looked at it and said to check with insurance if they pay out and no point resurfacing the crack as it might "crack" again at a later stage.

Had the tiler to quote ($1495 - includes plumber) and both the tiler and insurance assessor could not believe how the the bathtub could have a crack as it was only 7 years old as we only used it for two toddlers weighing less than 30kgs total for their baths.

Insurance paid out, new bathtub - happy client!

Back