Bed & Breakfast Business

We have recently been looking at buying a old renovated cottage to utilise as a B&B.Any members doing this as a income stream?

We did it for 2 years.

Our version was the full-on cooked breakfast menu in the plush dining room in the Period Style house, etc.

We had accommodation for 3 couples (we didn't allow kids - it was designed as an escape for couples).

It took us almost a year to get the place ready including doing the TAFE B&B course, and Council permit etc.

It was fun, but a lot of work and at the end of the day not a lot of money in it because most of the trade will be Fri and Sat night, and not much else.

Be prepared to have almost no weekends, unless you contract out the cleaning of the rooms, the linen and the kitchen stuff - no profit left after all that.

In hindsight, if we were to do it again, we would build specialized cabins and provide the breakfast ingredients and let them do it themselves.

It's not a bad thing to do for a retired empty-nester couple with a fully paid off property so they could generate some extra cashflow.

As a traveller - and someone who looked into doing accommodation on our farm - definitely go the "self contained" route - especially if you don't actually live in the same house.

A hamper full of lovely cereals and breads (not the uncle tobys or tiptop) - with fresh butter, spreads, milk, bacon, eggs and tomatoes in the fridge (need a kitchenette) is perfect.

Also means you get to use any leftovers that have been written off to tax.

The crux of my decision was "I ain't getting up at 6am every Sunday to prepare breakfast for anyone" ... and I like my weekends

I know 3 couples who had a go at it. One was in a wing of their house and the other two were stand alone self contained units.

All said that it was far more effort than it was worth :(

The 'bed' bit would be okay, but forget the 'breakfast' bit. That would drive you nuts.
I guess my Airbnb place is sort of like a B&B - without the breakfast bit. Having it next door makes it easy to manage. If I had to drive to the place it would get a bit tedious pretty quickly.

Scott

we would build specialized cabins and provide the breakfast ingredients and let them do it themselves..

This is what i am leaning towards.Log cabins with panoramic views,with the main homestead onsite,sounds like bliss.Now all i have to do is convince the minister of finance.

I have mused about the same idea and wondered if the idea is viable?
My main dilemma would be ongoing hassle of maintenance and how much i would in fact use the place when not occupied?? And would the hassle be worth the benefit?
Intention is a long term holiday house that we and kids can use when not booked. We have an area in mind and know that the holiday rental market is there. I would be happy if the place broke even for the benefit of the lifestyle for both us and our kids......
ill keep musing.

We have recently been looking at buying a old renovated cottage to utilise as a B&B.Any members doing this as a income stream?
A mate of mine has one about 6 klm's from the cbd in inner southside Brisbane,they have 3 rooms,bus stop out the front,train station 5 minutes walk ,hospital 5 minutes walk,5 minutes walk to a local up-market hotel with meals under $15.00,plus several fast food outlets all within that radius
it's always booked out.it's a large Queenslander with the bottom level all built in.imho..

This is what i am leaning towards.Log cabins with panoramic views,with the main homestead onsite,sounds like bliss.Now all i have to do is convince the minister of finance.

I reckon you have to be a bit careful when you build purpose specific accomodation.

What will the return be when you sell compared to normal accomodation, which you can also run B&B from?

I know a couple that have a lovely purpose built B&B house at Normanville and they can't give it away - been on the market at least a couple of years and selling at a huge discount - as it's a specific market they're targeting.

Other homes in the area in the same price range are slow to sell but at least they're selling.

Normal buyers don't want 8/8/2 or whatever it is. Apart for the many rooms this place has an enclosed heated pool, and beautiful gardens that overall scream 'work'.

The owners gave the B&B side of the business away long ago because they got tired of it.

Back