Brisbane IP in 2014

A great Buyer's agent I know was very positive on Banyo, the redevelopment of an industrial site into a woolworth's anchored shopping complex should start to bridge the decent price disparity between Nundah and Banyo. Nundah was an absolute dive in the not too distant past.

Man, what's going on in Logan? (Woodridge, Kingston, Logan Central, Slacks Creek).
This just came onto the market today, TODAY!
And it's already 'under contract'. Unbelievable (shake head) :eek:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-kingston-115969155?rsf=emailalert-propdetails

Not sure on details of specific property but 225 sounds like a pretty good price for a 3 bedder in Logan.

Could have sold quickly because it is priced to sell quickly.

If we were looking to buy in Logan , I would have put in an offer site unseen , with the contract subject to inspection..

Cliff

I am shocked by the prices of Banyo, 17 k from the city, many places over $400K when you can buy for $500K in Carina, Mt Gravatt East, so much closer to the city with more facilities and infrastructure.

Woodridge's changed heaps now. Rentals are tight. Lots of demands from renters. I've got 5 applications to rent a house in 1 week :eek: Maybe I'll auction the rent price!

Hi Beanie Girl are there better streets or areas of Woodridge I should be focusing on?

Hi Beanie Girl are there better streets or areas of Woodridge I should be focusing on?

Hi Jenko,

The type of house is what I focus on first to get good rent/yield. A largish 3-4 bed room highset with rooms, bathroom and rumpus room (hopefully a kitchenette) built in under is what I would focus on as these fetch high rent. If upstairs and downstairs have their own separate entrances, that would be superb. Legal height is rare but sometimes can be found on the lower level. If nothing is built under, bargain for a cheaper price and build under yourself.

House with granny flats or dual occupancy increase rental yield. Or a split-level house, where each half is fully self-contained. Houses with patios, decks or entertaining area under a deck is also sought after. People want to conduct barbeques, get together etc. They also tend to like garages or shed to store their stuff.

The agents always say go North of Smith Road, between Smith and Compton Road. Try to avoid being on North or Ewing Road itself as North South traffic can be busy. Smith Road and North of it is known as 'Woodridge Heights' because the houses tend to be on higher ground and many have views.

Houses around the train station tend to be cheaper. There's a reason for it.

Woodridge tends not to flood. A lot of Woodridge is on high elevation compared to surroundings. The houses near the creek and overflow path are not supposed to flood according to the Logan flood map. But I still tend to stay away from houses too near the creek personally, just to be on the safe side.

Just to tickle your fancy, have a look at these houses that came on the market recently
Brick house 4 bedrooms. 1265m2 flat land. Zoned R600. Subdivision possible. Choice of selling the subdivided land off or build a Granny flat at the back of the main house without subdividing the land?
http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...rt-propdetails

Note the big parcels of land in front of this property (4-28 Alexander St) and behind (Nyanza st). Good to find out what the owners intend to do with the land. Build townhouses, blocks of apartments?

Highset house 3 bedrooms 814sqm land. Owner will throw in all the furniture in for $1500
http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...idge-115986627

Bargain it down. Possibly make it into a short term rental holiday home with Stayz.com. There's a lot of local demand in the area for short stays (Uncle, Aunty's birthday, cousin's wedding, engagement etc) as well as southsiders who are looking for property. Holidayers will love to splash around in the pool with family and friends.

Both properties are just a few streets away from Compton road which separates Woodridge from Underwood (pricey suburb).

Just some food for thought. Happy TGIF and weekend!

I am shocked by the prices of Banyo, 17 k from the city, many places over $400K when you can buy for $500K in Carina, Mt Gravatt East, so much closer to the city with more facilities and infrastructure.

I didn't think it was that far so looked it up and still way further than I thought. Google maps has it as 13.4k from Brisbane GPO or 18mins drive.

Banyo to Brisbane 16.3 via M3 and M7
Carina 8.9 km to Brisbane
Camp Hill 7k to Brisbane

according to Google maps. Maybe daft logic is broken.

Banyo to Brisbane 16.3 via M3 and M7
Carina 8.9 km to Brisbane
Camp Hill 7k to Brisbane

according to Google maps. Maybe daft logic is broken.

Directly from Wikipedia:

Carina:
'Carina is a suburb of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. It is located 7 km east of the CBD...'

Banyo:
'13 km (8 mi) from Brisbane CBD...'

Camp Hill
'It is located approximately 4 km from the Brisbane central business district and, as its name suggests, is elevated and commands fine views of the CBD...'

and if its on wikipedia it must be right! not going to argue about how far banyo is from the city, it's a darned long way away and my point remains, prices look high for a not so very nice area.

Directly from Wikipedia:

Carina:
'Carina is a suburb of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. It is located 7 km east of the CBD...'

Banyo:
'13 km (8 mi) from Brisbane CBD...'

Camp Hill
'It is located approximately 4 km from the Brisbane central business district and, as its name suggests, is elevated and commands fine views of the CBD...'

Directly from my @5s:

You can't quote wikipedia

12 months ago you could of bought a 3 bed house in carina for 350 - 380

I'm mick Nguyen that I didn't have finance sorted earlier

Anyway just went further out where there was no movement yet

I agree tulamula, i find it strange when people get pumped about houses for 350k in Logan. Unless you can sub divide , no thanks

Directly from my @5s:

You can't quote wikipedia

12 months ago you could of bought a 3 bed house in carina for 350 - 380

I'm mick Nguyen that I didn't have finance sorted earlier

Anyway just went further out where there was no movement yet

I agree tulamula, i find it strange when people get pumped about houses for 350k in Logan. Unless you can sub divide , no thanks

Im not sure what you are saying here?

All I did was quote a source that has been quoted on this very thread by other posters.

We just bought in Banyo as I personally believe it has strong growth indicators. As mentioned above, a few weeks ago Woolies applied for a development application from Council for a new complex. A few developments here and there are starting to pop up.

It's still fairly cheap for decent land sizes as well but the main reason I like it is the village feel it has going on. A lot of the other suburbs in the north east lack that vibe IMO. Nundah being the exception.

I have Banyo as 11.5km from the CBD for the record.

banyo_distance.png

Wouldn't it be wiser to compare Banyo to surrounding burbs, esp those closer to cbd, rather than to burbs on the other side of town?

For instance, Banyo has
- the train, not so camp hill or mt gravatt.
- a university within safe walking and cycling distance
- off road bicycle access to Moreton Bay.
- gets sea breezes
- has no major arterial roads cutting it up and making it less child friendly.
- more parks and green space than the southside burbs mentioned.
- is considerably cheaper than nearby Northgate, Nundah, and Wavell Heights.
- has a greater sense of community
- has many young families moving into the area, as opposed to singles renting.
- is a stone's throw from the airport and prestigious Nudgee College.
- easy access to Gateway Arterial and Sandgate Rd.
- has a retirement village and nursing home for aging in place.
- has low traffic which encourages many children to walk to the two primary and 1 secondary school.
- has many homes still on larger lots.
- has very little medium density development. The area is still highly strategic for young couples who want children, and a larger townhouse or house with a yard for a more traditional Australian lifestyle.
- has lots of underutilized commercial space, that presents outstanding opportunity for planned modern infrastructure.

Banyo is certainly going through a rapid gentrification process, something the southern burbs mentioned can not due to their place in the property and demographic life cycle.

Nevertheless, stay away from Banyo. We northern locals want it for ourselves. :p

I could easily make a big list of the features of Carina, and not even mention the capita growth of the area (how has Banyo performed) .. and if I draw a straight line from Carina to the city, it's really only 3k away!

Just don't kid yourself Banyo is 11k away.

Give me aircon over a stuffy sea breeze any day.

This is all healthy discussion but did you actually check that measurement tool I linked to? The CBD seems to be moving SE at 1km per day :)

Back