Can a QLD mate's wife only take half his assets accumulated AFTER marriage?

Does anyone know if this is true or not?
My mate is involved with a younger girl and wants to marry her so I told him to be careful because most of them are gold diggers and will leave him with half his assets. He thinks QLD law is different but I'm not sure. I thought the laws were Australia wide. This is what he said:

Remember in Queensland law, you only share assets after marriage, what you take into a marriage is yours, but any increase in value is shared. So if my home increased by $200,000 she would be entitled to half this, but not the original home. You are hearing stories from America and scary there, no wonder they want a contract before marriage in America. Not sure about the rest of Australia, I only know Queensland law.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know, the Family Law Act is a federal law so applicable to all states.

Things change drastically once there is a child involved, in which case the primary carer of the child would receive a much larger proportion of the assets than half (regardless of any arrangements made before marriage).

Good legal advice would be essential.
Marg

My mate is involved with a younger girl and wants to marry her so I told him to be careful because most of them are gold diggers and will leave him with half his assets. He thinks QLD law is different but I'm not sure. I thought the laws were Australia wide. This is what he said:

So your friend needs a new legal advisor - because none of that is true. The laws are Australia wide for a start.

That is not true what your mate said.

I dont know whether QLD laws are different but as for the assets after marriage rule,

its actually correct in theory,
so if you had an unencombered house worth $1m,
they get married, and a year later, she cannot simply say
"Ive found someone richer, you owe me $500k"

BUT!

Bring 1-2 kids into teh equation, then your accumulated assets after marriage will go anywhere up to 75% split (and no, you get the 25%)
the longer you are married the above 'assets since married' rule/idea gets less and less applicable

Bring 3+ kids, i dunno, I didnt make that mistake

prenups are not worth the paper they are written on, its an american thing,
once your circumstances change enough ie kids, they can be overturned like a turtle on its back

after a split, a woman is allowed to stop working or reduce income and get more child support, a man is allowed to reduce his income but often his support wont change, go figure

as for protecing your assets, I have yet to work out a rock solid way,other then becoming homeless or celibate

Ahhhh the old 'I have a friend who' trick. Are you sure its a friend your asking for? ;)

Seriously tho, who ever it is, one thing is for sure - they will take a big asset hit.

My mate is involved with a younger girl and wants to marry her so I told him to be careful because most of them are gold diggers and will leave him with half his assets.

Are they mostly gold diggers? Are there not any who will help to amass gold for the partnership?

Are they mostly gold diggers? Are there not any who will help to amass gold for the partnership?

I'm sure there are plenty who would like to work together to pursue financial success (among other things). I also think that just because a girl wants to marry a wealthy guy, it doesn't make her a gold digger. Women are still expected to have babies and raise kids, so why shouldn't they want to marry a good provider?

I'm sure there are plenty who would like to work together to pursue financial success (among other things). I also think that just because a girl wants to marry a wealthy guy, it doesn't make her a gold digger. Women are still expected to have babies and raise kids, so why shouldn't they want to marry a good provider?

And some men want to become stay at home dads, so they should shack up with wealthy women. :)

And some men want to become stay at home dads, so they should shack up with wealthy women. :)

More power to 'em! I think so long as you plan to be a dedicated, supportive, loving, committed spouse, if you want to marry someone because they are wealthy, or powerful, or have DD boobs, go for it.

**Hang on, that sounded bad. What I mean to say is, if one of those things is on your list, go for it, not that that should be your only reason.

More power to 'em! I think so long as you plan to be a dedicated, supportive, loving, committed spouse, if you want to marry someone because they are wealthy, or powerful, or have DD boobs, go for it.

**Hang on, that sounded bad. What I mean to say is, if one of those things is on your list, go for it, not that that should be your only reason.

I wonder whether there are many with DD boobs who are dedicated, supportive, loving and committed spouses.

makes so much common sense !

ta

rolf

I know plenty of Qld males who have owned houses outright before they met their wives and have since split and now have large mortgages on the houses they previously owned outright.

Can a QLD mate's wife only take half of his assets accumulated AFTER marriage?

It isn't just females that take the man for everything - I can tell you from experience.

Through a 15 year relationship he only worked for 3 years of that. I left a paid off house and everything in it for my sanity - that was 8 years ago. He stays home (his own choice) and keeps the couch warm each day. He is too stressed to work.

I am starting again at 43 with new partner but this time around we each have our own assets and legal agreements in place.

Don't ever risk your future on a conversation. What seems perfect one minute can quickly go the other way when things aren't so rosy and money/assets (and children) are involved.

Back