Can you use 80% gloss trim/door paint on walls?

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to use door/trim paint on walls?

Reason I ask is that I've found some really cheap paint and it will be WAY cheaper to use it than wall paint - just not sure if it will be too glossy/shiny.

Acrylic Enamel Interior/Exterior Use Gloss Light

That's the one!

On another note - to save money, is there a way to tint the paint yourself to save money - as this will cost another $2/L which I would rather save myself.

Gloss paint on walls will look cheap and tacky (IMO) and will show up every imperfection.

Are you kidding about not wanting to pay $2L for tinting? Is it even that much to tint paint?

Is it possible to use door/trim paint on walls?
Yes it is possible, it just isn't very smart. The gloss will show up every imperfection, which in an older house, there will be numerous.

on another note - to save money, is there a way to tint the paint yourself to save money - as this will cost another $2/L which I would rather save myself.
Yes you can buy tint to do it yourself from Bunnings.

Saw a brick/render place a few weeks ago that was painted in acylic semi gloss... showed up every imperfection. Walls need low sheen.

You could wait for Painter to answer, but I suspect he is too busy pulling out his hair after reading this question :D:p.

No not kidding - trying to save a few $$$ :)

The gloss paint (80%) is about 1/4 the price of the low sheen paints.

Is there a way to make the glossy paints less glossy? i.e. if I used 4L of 80% gloss and combined it with 4L of low sheen would that work?

Any other ways of making it seem less glossy?

I think I've done renos on places that have been attacked by people like you!
The process is usually to paint with a 3 in 1 primer undercoat and then start from scratch.

Seriously James, I understand the need to save money BUT at the expense of the end result. You're going to reval after completion - yes?

Is there a way to make the glossy paints less glossy? i.e. if I used 4L of 80% gloss and combined it with 4L of low sheen would that work?
Yes that will work. Make sure you keep the same ratios of gloss to flat each time you mix up a batch.

That will still be a good result.

$2.60/L for the 80% gloss - Nippon
$5.00/L for the low sheen - Solver

Different brands though - does that matter?

Also is 80% gloss considered high gloss or semi-gloss?

Love how people spend hundreds of thousands on an ip then scrimp and shortcut to save a couple of dollars on paint.

Do the job right the first time. Any money you save by cheaping out now will be lost when it looks crap and you have to start again.

I don't spend hundreds of thousands on houses either :p

Skimp on price but not quality :D

I had the impression before researching paint varieties that a higher gloss would give a high-class feeling and that flat paint would make the house dull/boring/dark...

I think if you're going to do a job you want to at least improve on what you started with and increase it's value and appeal, not do a botched up job by using wrong/inferior products that need redoing earlier than needed, or fixing up later.

I'd be using a decent 'wash and wear' paint if it's a rental - it can save you a whole repaint if it washes down well.

Glossy walls look terrible, they are virtually impossible to get rid of later and they look really, really wrong. Acrylic enamel also needs more coats than low gloss paint and is MUCH harder to apply, its very easy to get runs in it. I had to deal with a whole room of this a couple years back, the room looked a million times better in a similar colour but flat. Getting the old gloss paint off with all its drips and bubbles and bumps was hell.

Very low sheen is good for walls. Surely you can find some cheap low sheen paint instead of planning on butchering some walls?

Yes I can pay double the price for low sheen

but was just asking if it was possible to use the 80% gloss one if its cheaper.

Thanks for all the help!

Yes I can pay double the price for low sheen

but was just asking if it was possible to use the 80% gloss one if its cheaper.

Thanks for all the help!

Yes, but how much is double the price? You say you can get low sheen for $5 a litre. Average 3br house wouldn't need more than 20 litres for internal walls - $100

So you are looking at saving $50?

Actually not even $50 - 10lt at $5 and 10l at $2.50 you are looking at saving $25

I will need 500L+

Got quite a few houses to renovate...

So if I can find a cheaper option I will benefit.

I would think the combo would be a good one because low sheen = dull I would think. I want my houses to look bright and special :p so I would think it could be a genius move :D

I will need 500L+

Got quite a few houses to renovate...

So if I can find a cheaper option I will benefit.

Are you planning on taking the paint on the plane with the ladder? Aren't some of these houses a flight away?

I would think the combo would be a good one because low sheen = dull I would think. I want my houses to look bright and special :p so I would think it could be a genius move :D

Honestly, get a good quality washable flat or near flat paint, do it once, do it properly. It will cost more initially, but doing it "on the cheap" using cheap paint and/or the wrong type of paint will be a waste of time and money.

No will be having it all driven up for me (the high gloss that is) and the low sheen is in Brisbane already.

Wouldn't the low sheen be dull? I'm more reluctant to have a dull house than saving money....

Back