Can you use 80% gloss trim/door paint on walls?

It will not be dull. It will look "normal" whereas glossy trim paint on every wall will look very strange, cheap and tacky.

I cannot get the image of a cheap hooker with blue eye makeup and fishnets out of my head when I think about glossy paint on every surface. Do you want your house to look like a cheap hooker :D.

If I am charging rent by the hour it could work out well ;)

At least you have a sense of humour :D.

I admire your willingness to "have a go at anything" but as a mother of a son your age, I would be worried about (firstly) you falling off that roof (another thread) and the false economy of using materials (paint, steel, anything else) that are cheap, but maybe not economical in the long run.

You've been given good advice, so why not look for the cheapest paint that is right for the job. You will pay more, but it will look better and save you money in the long run.

Yes I will most probably buy the low sheen after the advise - just wanted to check if the high gloss would be ok.

What about exterior - does that look ok with high gloss?

Yes I will most probably buy the low sheen after the advise - just wanted to check if the high gloss would be ok.

What about exterior - does that look ok with high gloss?

Exterior in high gloss is fine, but don't use trim paint. Find a good exterior paint. Get a good paint for as cheap as you can find it. You don't want to have to repaint the exterior again in a few years because you used cheap paint.

That is reassuring!

What about this one - would be used for inside and outside on walls - 80% gloss - mixed with low sheen - so 40-45% gloss.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 59
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 59
Stop skimping out and buy the correct bloody paint!

Also, Nippon is horrible stuff, its cheap and it shows. I am a long time Taubmans and Berger user. Do it once properly, not twice dodgily.

If your reno budget hinges on cheap paint and gutters from ebay, you are focusing on the wrong thing.

haha Dave.

In 10 years I will be saying the same thing to some other schmuck!

I am only wanting to skimp on price if it is in fact good quality etc...

But - This Nippon paint is actually being sold by (or maybe manufactured) by Taubmans - as on the listing it refers to to the Taubmans website for colour selection and when you call the customer service it is Taubmans.

:)

Picking up a bargain is one thing - I love bargains. Just got all the white laminate kitchen cabinets for a new IP reno for $80 new from a kitchen mob who is closing down.

However sacrificing a decent quality end result to save a relatively small amount of money is a false economy.

Using gloss enamel on interior walls is going to be a real painful experience, for current application and future re-painting. If you end up saving $100 on the total paint quantity for example, its just not worth the hassle of dealing with it, even if its water based enamel.

Most acylic bases are made by one company in Australia - they are one of my clients funnily enough. Nippon may have been licensed by Taubmans but I dont believe its made by them.

I tried Nippon once on a ceiling, it dried horribly and patchy. After 2 coats I threw it out, bought my normal taubmans ceiling white, and one nice coat later it was beautiful.

Is that kitchen company still closing down? Would love to buy 10 kitchens from them on the cheap!

I've had others tell me Nippon was a good paint which is why I looked at it.

The other thing:
Undercoats

I can't seem to find any cheap undercoats...

Is it ok to use an extra coat of the paint (since it will be cheaper) than using undercoat and then 1 less coat of the real thing...?

The other thing:
Undercoats

I can't seem to find any cheap undercoats...

Is it ok to use an extra coat of the paint (since it will be cheaper) than using undercoat and then 1 less coat of the real thing...?
If your existing walls were in good nick then I wouldn't worry about the undercoat.

However......... I don't know about others - but I've found using a decent undercoat like Zinsser SmartPrime will prove your best bet with old houses with dodgy surfaces, old gloss paint & stains etc.

If your existing paint surface is in any way dodgy, then your normal topcoat might not stick as well as you'd like. Primers, especially ones like the Zinsser range will pretty much stick to anything (unlike a topcoat paint) and give a good surface for your topcoat to adhere to.

If you're still going to go with the enamel, remember it needs to be put on very thin and carefully, probably with a brush not a roller, as enamel tends to run and it'll need more coats. It also dries a lot faster so you have to be very careful with it. I've done a LOT of trim with acrylic enamel and by the time you've put on 4 coats of the stuff because you just can't lay it on thick, a 4L tin doesn't go very far. Sooooo hard not to get runs in it.

Completely different to a good wall paint where you can just slap a coat on with a roller and it looks wonderful, never get runs in it, even coverage, lovely.

Stop skimping out and buy the correct bloody paint!

Also, Nippon is horrible stuff, its cheap and it shows. I am a long time Taubmans and Berger user. Do it once properly, not twice dodgily.

If your reno budget hinges on cheap paint and gutters from ebay, you are focusing on the wrong thing.

Have to disagree with this comment on Nippon.
Have used this paint a number of times over the years when it was
with Bunnings and found it an excellent product.

The reason it was withdrawn from Bunnings was a disagreement between
Bunnings and the Australian importer who then went into receivership,
grays now offloading for the administrator.

Do a search on the renovator forum and you will find it gets a very good
report and comparable with other big name products.

I recently purchased 20 tins of flat exterior/interior (4 litre) @ $9 a tin.
When collecting the paint from Grays I was lined up with with a heap of
professional painters collecting their pallet loads of the stuff.
They commented it was just as good as the the top brands.

Mate, I'm only a couple of years older than you I think.

Take it from someone who has made the same mistakes as you are about to make.

Don't scrimp on these things. It costs you more in the long run.

I'm not talking about buying high end stuff - but trying to save a few bucks here and there on the wrong type of paint and things like that will cause you a lot more hassle in the medium and long term. And actually end up costing you a whole lot more cash to put it right.

If you're still going to go with the enamel, remember it needs to be put on very thin and carefully, probably with a brush not a roller, as enamel tends to run and it'll need more coats. It also dries a lot faster so you have to be very careful with it. I've done a LOT of trim with acrylic enamel and by the time you've put on 4 coats of the stuff because you just can't lay it on thick, a 4L tin doesn't go very far. Sooooo hard not to get runs in it.

Completely different to a good wall paint where you can just slap a coat on with a roller and it looks wonderful, never get runs in it, even coverage, lovely.
Using the right roller should stop runs - as well as using the right technique so that roller edges don't show. To help with paint drying out, I would use some Penetrol (oil based) or Floetrol (water based) in your paint - it will also help reduce brush marks.

All this is extra cost though ;)

And I still can't see it ending up looking as good as a basic low sheen paint job though.

So tick of approval or not Painter :D

It can't be that bad right? 80% gloss combined with 'Painter recommended Solver' - so about 40% gloss.

I dont know why you keep asking - people have given you advice and you dont want to take it.
paint it how you like and be satisfied with the result you get - simple.

The more advice/opinions the better....

I am most probably not going to paint with the high gloss given most people's negative opinions but if anyone has some success stories with it I would love to hear it.

Back