Can you use 80% gloss trim/door paint on walls?

I have painted many houses inside with Gloss and semi gloss enamel and yours being a Queenslander,it should be OK.

Never paint a new type Gyprock house with it,except maybe wet area ceilings.

Oil Undercoat has to be used and if I suspect right,most of your house will already be enamel,ceilings and all,so if you use an acrylic enamel with out an oil undercoat it will just fall off.

I don't know why I am giving you advise as it is pretty certain you only want me to say what you want to hear and as a professional,if its not done right,why do it.:confused:

I have painted hundreds and hundreds of houses just like yours and I know the quickest possible way to do them and to do it as cheap as possible with out compromising on the job.

I have given you good advise via PMs and you aren't listening one little bit,
I am sorry but ,I cant help you anymore,

Good luck with your project,

I appreciate very much the advice you have given me Painter.

I just like to explore every avenue possible so I don't potentially pay more than I should.

Why would an oil-based undercoat be the way to go since the paint will be water based? I would have thought they wouldn't mix properly?

I appreciate very much the advice you have given me Painter.

I just like to explore every avenue possible so I don't potentially pay more than I should.

Why would an oil-based undercoat be the way to go since the paint will be water based? I would have thought they wouldn't mix properly?

They don't have to mix,water based paint will not stick to oil based gloss paints.Using an oil based undercoat,even as a mist coat with an airless spraygun will allow the acrylic to stick.

Ok thanks for that.

The acrylic enamel would be water based.

What's the best undercoat to buy as I cannot seem to find anything good on ebay?

This seems a bit of a dodgy brand:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOUSE-PA...?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item4ab3135ba4

They are also selling acrylic - which would be better to use with the Solver paint you recommended?

Oil based Quick dry undercoat in damaged 4 litres tins,fair price,maybe get a lot better price for a bulk buy.
Add 10% turps,use a medium nap lambswool roller and roll everything roughly and as soon as you finish,start painting the acrylic.
Cant get any easier than that other than by using a spraygun.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Paint-Ta...?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item19c5a17bcb

I thought the main attraction of oil based paints is less odour and a quicker dry time...

$30 for 4L is a little too much for me unfortunately - so that's why I would prefer the lower priced ones (but was just checking with you to see if they were indeed good or bad quality?)

I don't know why I am giving you advise as it is pretty certain you only want me to say what you want to hear and as a professional,if its not done right,why do it.:confused:

I have painted hundreds and hundreds of houses just like yours and I know the quickest possible way to do them and to do it as cheap as possible with out compromising on the job.

I have given you good advise via PMs and you aren't listening one little bit,
I am sorry but ,I cant help you anymore,

Good luck with your project,

JWR, it seems like you are expecting alot of people to give you free advice, along with your cheap materials... why havent you googled and researched into these things?
It seems to me that you need to do a bit of your own research instead of expecting everyone to spoon feed you, find items on ebay, tell you how to paint, explain why the cheap option is not as good, etc.
its really frustrating to see you asking for advice, and then arguing about why the cheaper option would still be better, whether its ladders or paint.
I can see the goodwill of the forum disappearing very quickly if you dont change your approach...

Hi Penny,

Firstly I do not try to be argumentative but instead seek as many opinions as possible to forge my opinion. I am very grateful and appreciative of every piece of advice given and I am learning a lot day by day.

I do research everything before asking but just like most things, its better to hear first hand from experts such as yourself regarding different areas of property investment. You cannot gain the exact knowledge from a google search. Different opinions help shape my own; which is invaluable when you are starting out in a particular area. When I become an expert I will of course reciprocate.

Furthermore, being a forum, I figure by asking others are bound to learn as well.

I apologise to everyone if I come across as a guy who just won't quit :) but you will all be pleased to know I am not purchasing the very cheap gloss paint and will instead use the low sheen 'expensive' version :D based on the advise I have been given.

Had it not been for this thread my research would have told me to buy - because gloss paint gives an easier surface that is harder to ruin and a shiny complexion that can potentially add that wow factor. Now I have learnt the downsides and so will not be buying.

I will try to tone it down a little - but I'm going away for 2 weeks on 'vacation' to renovate so that must be a relief to some!

Tis the season to be painting. I have a 4L tin of low sheen turquoise (ok, "shimmer") paint here I need to use today.

Some value reduction right there, but that's what the kid wants.

Interesting that the colour of that gloss paint hasn't come up in this thread ... for the love of god, please tell me its some kind of off white or light beige ...

Tis the season to be painting. I have a 4L tin of low sheen turquoise (ok, "shimmer") paint here I need to use today.

Some value reduction right there, but that's what the kid wants.

Ahh, the things we do for our kids.
I was telling my daughter she is lucky to have nice, plain walls.
When I was about 7, my parents renovated, and I selected a lovely wallpaper with rows and rows of 6" pink flowers on it.... they never renovated my room again until after I moved out in my 20's.
If I ever complained about the wallpaper......"But you chose it"!! :eek::eek:

Firstly I do not try to be argumentative but instead seek as many opinions as possible to forge my opinion. I am very grateful and appreciative of every piece of advice given and I am learning a lot day by day.

I do research everything before asking but just like most things, its better to hear first hand from experts such as yourself regarding different areas of property investment. I apologise to everyone if I come across as a guy who just won't quit :) but you will all be pleased to know I am not purchasing the very cheap gloss paint and will instead use the low sheen 'expensive' version :D based on the advise I have been given.

Had it not been for this thread my research would have told me to buy - because gloss paint gives an easier surface that is harder to ruin and a shiny complexion that can potentially add that wow factor. Now I have learnt the downsides and so will not be buying.

Good to hear that you do appreciate the advice and take it. I hope the renos go well. Maybe when you are researching, take the time to go to, or call, a couple of retail outlets, even places like Bunnings... there is lots of good advice around.

It seems to me like you might be just in a bit too much of a hurry. if you slow down a bit and really think through your plans and the outcome you want to achieve, I think you'll come out with a better outcome.

We have builders in our house at the moment.... this is the 3rd big reno they have done for us, and they've also done several for friends... they are really good.
One thing I see about them is that everything is slow and steady. Planning is key. They have the overall picture, the order that everything is done in, the materials, the plan for each day etc etc. Everything is tidied up at the end of every day. Very methodical, very calm, and everything works out pretty much as planned.

If I were you, I would just stop what you are doing for a day, and really plan your renovations. Think through what you are trying to achieve (outcomes), the order that you do things in, what areas you are likely to need help, what you are going to need etc. If you take a haphazhard or a rushed approach to the reno, you will end up with a haphazhard result.

"Measure twice, cut once"

Sorry Y-Man - just read again and I meant water based reduces odour, dry time...

I have a full plan re schedule and budget and its a tight one... but I will get it done!

Yes the colour is white - as that will be the colour for each of my houses so when I have some paint left over I can start the next reno with the left over half tin.

Que? Wadda? :confused:

Oil is killer odor and longer dry time.

Advantage is it is hardier (hence you do dorrs and trims with it....)

The Y-man
Actually qd oil uc dries faster
Than acrylic in some circumstances
Surgery went well and I am posting this in recovery room

Ahh, the things we do for our kids.
I was telling my daughter she is lucky to have nice, plain walls.
When I was about 7, my parents renovated, and I selected a lovely wallpaper with rows and rows of 6" pink flowers on it.... they never renovated my room again until after I moved out in my 20's.
If I ever complained about the wallpaper......"But you chose it"!! :eek::eek:
I got WAY higher coverage out of this paint than I was expecting so I have a phenomenal amount of leftover paint now. Obviously was good stuff.

Smaller child is telling me I have to paint everyone else's rooms now, she's even told me which wall she wants which colour. I have so much blue I'm thinking sky with clouds ...

Back