Carb-Nite Solution

So let me get this straight. You haven't slept in days, you're constipated, you eat a stick of butter and then you fast for the rest of the day. All to what, lose 2 kgs or something? What the heck?? That makes no sense man. Eat steamed fish and veg. Go for a run.

*ETA: Just checked your picture again. What on earth are you trying to do to yourself? You'll end up looking like Christian Bale in the Machinist!

Perfectly said.

Eat healthily over a long period rather than doing the constant yo-yo of fad diet after fad diet.

Max, can you give us a quick run down on your weekly routine?

What other tools do you use for fasting (eg black coffee or chewing gum?)

Regards,

Wendler BBB.
Day 1.
Rear squat 555,333,531+, Deload 555.
Rear squat 5 x 10 50%
Front squat 5 x 10 50%
Day 2.
Bench press 555,333,531+, Deload 555.
Bench press 5 x 10 50%
Incline press 5 x 10 50%
Dumbell curls 5 x 10 50%
Day 3.
D/lift 555,333,531+, Deload 555.
D/lift 5 x 10 50%
Bent over row 5 x 10 50%
Back raise 5 x 10
Day 4.
Standing military 555,333,531+, Deload 555
Standing military 5 x 10 50%
Bradford press 5 x 10 50%
Dips 5 x 20

I have a long black most mornings. I have a tablespoon of coconut oil when I wake to kickstart the fat-burning furnace.

Meal frequency is not really relevant.
What I was asking is that are all 3 of you consuming the same calorie deficit?
This will be the biggest determining factor of results.

What is your daily intake?

I have a different opinion.

No. We are not all consuming the same calorie deficit.

Perfectly said.

Eat healthily over a long period rather than doing the constant yo-yo of fad diet after fad diet.
^
I dont need to lose much weight but am doing the diet to support my friends.

Originally Posted by MaxwellSmart
I dont need to lose much weight but am doing the diet to support my friends.

Do you really need to lose weight at all in order to support your friends?
Can't you still do the training and diet with them, but gain some lean muscle mass instead of losing weight?

I just read through this thread and I feel dizzy.

Surely there are better ways to support a friend than torturing yourself...

Personally I prefer the "eat whole natural foods" stance of Paleo and the whole lifestyle approach of Paleo (move around, get sun, do weights, sprint once in a while etc). It also seems a lot more focused on veggies.

My problem with the low carb high fat people is that many are obessesed with losing weight as fast as possible without concern about where that weight comes from and there is little regard for living a healthy lifestyle. For example they are forever trying to substitute carby foods (cakes with almond flour etc) and many times they are just using really **** ingredients like artificial sweetners.

But not taking anything away from MaxwellSmart, he certainly knows what he is doing and 100 thumbs up for that weights routine, squats, presses, deadlifts. All the good stuff without the rubbish. Also nice one on the intermittent fasting.

Thanks Robbie.

Had our weekly weigh-in this morning.

#1- 73.0kg - +1.4% Bodyweight gained in 8 nights
#2 - 82.0kg - 3.2% Bodyweight lost in 8 nights
#3 - 109.5kg - 1.8% Bodyweight lost in 8 nights

Photos were taken but I will wait until the months end before uploading a gif.

I gained weight. I attribute this to breaking the fast 3 times last week for a bacon & egg + long black with friends. I have no issues with the weight gain. If anything, it probably reveals that normally I am undernourished.

#2 & #3 lost a small amount of weight. Thy did not increase their activity but ate <20g of carbs daily for 6 nights.

Some of my meals:
Meal 4: Veal steaks, broccoli, bacon, butter and goat feta.
Meal 6: 4 Sausages, 250g brussels sprouts, butter and goat feta.
Meal 9: Steak, bacon and cheese.
Meal 1: 2 Swordfish steaks, spinach, butter and cheese.
Meal 5: Bacon, broccoli, ghee and goat feta.

Week 1 down.

Attachments

• Meal 4.jpg
    Meal 4.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Meal 6.jpg
    Meal 6.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Meal 9.jpg
    Meal 9.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Meal 1.jpg
    Meal 1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Meal 5.jpg
    Meal 5.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 77
Weekly weigh-in.

#1- 74.0kg - +2.8% Bodyweight gained in 17 nights
#2 - 82.0kg - 3.2% Bodyweight lost in 17 nights
#3 - 110kg - 1.4% Bodyweight lost in 17 nights

No change in 2 & 3's weight since the 8.8.13.

#2 Went to Melbourne for the weekend.
#3 Went to Perisher for a week.

Not too bad considering the numerous ales consumed. This week both have promised they will be more disciplined with food choices.

I continue to gain weight. This week was supposed to be my de-load, but, ive skipped it completely. I havent moved an inch the whole week. Ill start a new 4 week program on monday.

Week 2 down.

Meals:
Meal 18 - 3 lamb chops, bunch of kale, butter and cheese.
Meal 16 - 2 lamb chops, 3 bacon rashers, kale, flat mushrooms, eschallots and ghee.
Meal 16 - 2 - Bacon, 2 eggs, spinach, butter, cheese, sour cream.

Lots of fat. Very few carbs.

Attachments

• Meal 18 - 17.8.13.jpg
    Meal 18 - 17.8.13.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Breakfast - 17.8.13.jpg
    Breakfast - 17.8.13.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Meal 16. 15.8.13.jpg
    Meal 16. 15.8.13.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Meal 16 - 2. 15.8.13.jpg
    Meal 16 - 2. 15.8.13.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 95
So let me get this straight. You haven't slept in days, you're constipated, you eat a stick of butter and then you fast for the rest of the day. All to what, lose 2 kgs or something? What the heck?? That makes no sense man. Eat steamed fish and veg. Go for a run.

*ETA: Just checked your picture again. What on earth are you trying to do to yourself? You'll end up looking like Christian Bale in the Machinist!

Ditto x 3.

I've done the low/no carb diets before, and they work great (until your friends start asking if you have cancer) but what's the point of having a once a week carb binge? From my experience breaking the first week's carb addiction is the hardest part so why prolong it by bingeing once a week just to go back to square one (sugar/carb cravings etc). Just cut the carbs permanently ala Atkins or South Beach and be done with it.

By eating less than 20g of carbs daily for 6 days prior you disable your body's ability to convert carbohydrates into fat. The weekly carb binge causes the carbs to be burnt off as heat.

This diet is supported by science. My mates and I are giving it a test. It appears legitimate so far.

By eating less than 20g of carbs daily for 6 days prior you disable your body's ability to convert carbohydrates into fat. The weekly carb binge causes the carbs to be burnt off as heat.

This diet is supported by science. My mates and I are giving it a test. It appears legitimate so far.

What independent, peer reviewed science supports it?

Genuine question.

Why the avoidance of carbs to prevent fat gain?

Excess protein or fat consumption will also convert to fat.
You don't gain weight unless you consume more than maintenance calories, carbs, protein or fat.

The idea of carb night solution is that your body is so depleted of carbs that when you spike your insulin levels with high GI food (junk food or potatos/kumara/rice/ripe bananas etc) your body burns off the carbs quickly and continues to burn off fat over the next 3-4 days.
If you are already fairly lean you are probably better off doing the carb back loading (if you want to put on a bit more muscle). It's essentially the same thing but you are carb loading every night instead of once a week. Lots of heavy lifting involved though.
There is an app for android/iphone called Scribd. You can find a free copy of carb night solution on there. Happy to share the backloading pdf if your interested.

So why not divide the amount of carbs you would ingest on the binge night and add it to your daily carb intake. The end effect would be the same surely - only without the insulin spike that can't be very good for the poor old pancreas. 20g of carbs per day is extremely low. Even 60g of carbs a day can be considered low-carb for an adult male.

A guy I worked with recently had what he called "eat what you like Sunday" where he would allow himself whatever food he wanted on Sundays provided he stuck to his diet and training during the week.

If you are already fairly lean you are probably better off doing the carb back loading.

Thanks. Ive used cbl before. It works well. Im looking forward to having another stint in October.

So why not divide the amount of carbs you would ingest on the binge night and add it to your daily carb intake. The end effect would be the same surely - only without the insulin spike that can't be very good for the poor old pancreas.

"The end effect would be the same surely" - No it isnt.

only without the insulin spike that can't be very good for the poor old pancreas.

..can't be very good for the poor old pancreas - Says who?

"..... from the research that’s out there, is that insulin levels need to be spiked periodically for optimum health, repair, and body fat loss. It’s not just a trick or a cheat. It’s actually a necessity for long-term health".

http://athlete.io/6087/qa-with-kiefer-2/

A guy I worked with recently had what he called "eat what you like Sunday" where he would allow himself whatever food he wanted on Sundays provided he stuck to his diet and training during the week.

Yep.

I see constant references to "data" and "studies" but "footnotes" but no independent, peer reviewed scientific study that proves the diet is "supported by science".

Note. Interviews with the guy pushing it don't count.

If it is proven to work, through independent peer reviewed means, then I am a convert. Until that time I put it in the category of "all other fad diets".

I see constant references to "data" and "studies" but "footnotes" but no independent, peer reviewed scientific study that proves the diet is "supported by science".
^
There are 52 pages of Citations at the rear of the paper that I paid for.

http://carbnite.com/

What are your lifts like.
Are your numbers going up on this diet?

Yes, but there might be confounding factors.
  • I began this diet halfway through a 4 wk program.
  • I increased all my lifts in-line with trends. Squat/D.L +10kg, Bench/Military +5 for this new period which started on the 16th.
  • I took the entire de-load period off from the 6/8 to the 16/8. For 10 nights I did not do a thing. I think my muscles grew alot during.
  • I have had bacon and eggs for brunch 3 x per week.

I have attached a chart which shows my activity since March. It will be interesting to see the numbers when this 4 week period ends.

The weigh in next week will be interesting. I think #3 hasnt been adhering to the <20g carb daily carb limit as strictly as #2 and myself.
#2 has mentioned continuing this diet until October. He is exstatic with how lean he is becoming.

Attachments

• Wendler Stats.jpg
    Wendler Stats.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 97
You're numbers have gone up a lot in 6 months, well done.
You either lost a lot of weight or only started training recently.
Are those ratios for 5 reps, 8 reps?

Back