Carb-Nite Solution

I believe the excessive consumption of anything over a long term will be detrimental to health. Fat included. Perhaps this is the very reason that the medical community always refer to a "balanced" diet being most suitable for the majority.

I have no way to know if its harming me internally without a medical test.

I feel fantastic.

A registrar mate has warned me that too much fat can wreak havoc with gall bladders. This concerns me.

I have asked q's on Kiefer's forum about the nutrient ratios of my meals. The word so far has been that a ratio of 1g Fat:1g Protein is recommended. The Fat/Protein % can be increased slightly for more weight loss.

^Ive heeded above and decided to focus on 1 Fat:1 Protein meal composition.

Last week I rested and had a carb-nite on Sunday. To ensure I still gain lean mass, I have decided to introduce another carb-nite every 5th night. This recommended when body fat is <10%.

How's it all going Max?

I think of this thread everytime I have bacon, I also saw Duck Fat for the first time ever in the supermarket

h95448999

Hi Guys.

#2 has gone to Bali with his missus.

#3 tells me that he is still adhering to the diet protocols, however, im doubtful. His weight remains at 110kg.

I weighed in at 82 kg last week. I was fairly happy until i came down with a bout of gastro on the weekend. 48 hrs without food. This morning I was back to 80 kg. Not too bad considering how bad my guts were.

80/72kg = 11.1% gain - 95 nights.

This current Wendler program I had to reset at 90% of previous efforts. I hit a brick wall with most of my lifts.

The past 38 meals I have recorded have produced an average Fat/Protein ratio of 2.19 times. Average carb intake - 7.08g.

"Does high cholesterol really increase your risk of heart attacks?"

Catalyst tomorrow night at 8pm on the ABC.

Attachments

• Meal 86 - Ratios - 23.10.13.jpg
    Meal 86 - Ratios - 23.10.13.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 66
Good to see that you're sticking with it Maxi.
I'm surprised your still gaining on such a low volume of food.
How is your body composition now?
How are you feeling and how's your overall health?

I might have to give this a go if your results stay positive.
I absolutely hate eating and wouldn't eat if I didn't have to.
But I could smash your daily calorie dense meal in 10 mins, that would save so much time not having to eat so often.

Keep us updated.

Body composition has changed slightly. Im not as lean as I was in the early weeks of the diet. I do not believe this can be attributed to the diet (I have had two bucks party weekends and 2 nights out in Kings Cross recently). Excuses, Excuses, Excuses - I know. I'll try and be more strict over the next month coming up to Summer.

I feel absolutely fantastic. My health is great.

I recommend everyone who cares for their health to read the links below.

"Butter, olive oil, heavy cream, and bacon are not harmful foods. Quite the opposite. Fat is the best thing for those who want to lose weight. And there are no connections between a high fat intake and cardiovascular disease".

Sweden-becomes-first-western-nation-to-reject-low-fat-diet-dogma-in-favor-of-low-carb-high-fat-nutrition

Swedish-Expert-Committee-A-Low-Carb-Diet-most-effective-for-weight-loss

Unrelated - I have been using a free Android app called Sleepbot for a week now. Its been really handy to keep an eye on how much of a sleep deficit I may be in sometimes.

Last edited:
I'm on this since yesterday, spur of the moment decision.
Maxi, please confirm I have it right.

No more than 30g carbs/day.
Go for 9 days before first carb night.
After that can go a week before carb nites, even as frequent as every 4 days, (but will prob stick to every week).

Is that it?

I wrote up a shopping list and picked up my high protein/high fat ingredients.
Saw the duck fat there but couldn't imagine eating that with a spoon.
Wanted to buy duck breast, but no nutritional info on the pack, even their website has none ?

Anyway, will post an update in a few weeks if I'm not in the hospital.

Maxi, care sharing any recipies? I can see this getting boring quite fast unless some variety is introduced.

Thanks

Great to see you giving it a try.

You are correct with the basics.

High fat ingredients
Sour cream, thickened cream, ghee, grass fed butter, hulled tahini, walnuts, cheese, coconut cream, coconut milk, dessicated coconut, halloumi, lamb chops.

The rule is - your bodyweight in protein and the remainder in fat.

The standard meal would be:
2 lamb chops and a handful of broccoli/kale/spinach - stir fried in butter. Eat the chop when in it done and throw some dessicated coconut in the pan to brown, soak up the extra fat and mix with the green vegetables. From there you can pour your slurry into a bowl and top with a spoon of hulled tahini/sour cream for extra goodness or sprinkle with walnuts.

Be super careful not to overdo it on the protein. Bodyweight.

calorieking.com.au is where i go for my nutritional data.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/collections/low+carb

http://lowcarbcentral.com.au/

Lamb fat and butter slurry is going to be hard to get used to...
Just feels wrong.
I'm ok with the coconut milk, has that already.
Felt wierd yesterday when I had about 1cm of oil in the bottom of my dish of mince meat, cheese and pepperoni.

Is the protein grams per kg of BW?
What would be bad about going higher protein like 2g per kg BW?

Your body would convert the excess protein to insulin for extra fuel. Exactly the thing we are trying to avoid by going low-carb. We are trainign our bodies to use fat for energy.

Careful with the pepperoni. Most fermented meats are cured with Dextrose or Maltodextrin.

Kiefer on Ketosis and the amount of protein
"Most people will go into ketosis with less than 50 grams of carbs, 1 gram per kg of protein, and the rest from fat, which can be calculated by identifying total caloric needs. However, other people will need to go as low as 10 grams of carbs a day and only 30 grams of protein with the rest from fat to start producing ketones".

You will know when you hit ketosis. Your sleep will be awful. If you arent in Ketosis after a week, you need to reduce the amount of carbs you eat.

The reason we include green vegetables in our meals is to soak up the fat.

athlete.io is a site where you can find lots of useful posts regarding cns and cbl.

A progress pic of tonight's dinner is attached. Happy to help. Stay strong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWWN8NWBLAI

Attachments

• Meal 91 - 28.10.13.jpg
    Meal 91 - 28.10.13.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Meal 91 - Ratios - 28.10.13.jpg
    Meal 91 - Ratios - 28.10.13.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Be interested to see how you go. I partake in intermittent fasting and carb cycling, but not backloading or refeeds.

How do you work out how many calories you need daily?
I'd like to maintain weight but recompose to a much leaner state.
Currently 85kg and taking 3000 calories.
Today's macros will be 30g carbs, 250g fat and 200g protein.
Is it really that bad to have this much protein?
If so, I'm going to have to slowly decrease pro and increase fat, cause it's definitely a weird feeling practically drinking fat.

Thanks for the help so far.
Appreciate it.

Make sure you get plenty of greens into you, without fibre from Carbs many people stop going to the loo!!!
Hi robbiejuve,
Solution?Spirulina.

I'd also suggest hemp oil(high in omegas) and hemp protein flower.

Food for thought.

Cheers Spades.

Dr. Atkins you were right all along.

Low carb works, I've been doing it since the mid 80's on and off. The binge is nothing new either, Dr. Atkins called it a mini-binge. It was introduced by a Dr. called Heller. 'Hellering' It is when you eat what you want for 60 minutes. Not a minute after that though because insulin is released in two stages. I eat "good" carbs - the ones that grow above the ground, if you can't kill it, pick it or dig it up.............DON'T EAT IT because it is NOT REAL FOOD. I stick to this rule apart from dairy which I love and doesn't seem to do me personally any harm. Avoid refined foods, lots of protein and enormous amounts of good natural fats (not margarine or polyunsaturated oils)................I love butter, bacon and juicy chicken fat. You should check your cholesterol levels (HDL's and LDL's) before you start the diet and again a couple of months in. The world is waking up from the propaganda about fat. Fat does not make you fat...............sugar does and it is hidden everywhere especially in food labled 'low fat'. There's a lot of vested financial interest in keeping the general public dumb on this topic.

Back