Carb-Nite Solution

Those ratios are for projected 1 rep max according to my current program.
I havent done any actual 1RM efforts since I started. Slack, I know.

For the exercises - The reps and % of 1RM change weekly. The reps are:
Week 1. 555+ 2. 333+ 3. 531 4. 555
The portion of each exercise's 1RM weight each week is attached.

My body weight since march has ranged from 71.5 to 74 (now).

Ideo.
Marc Bell wrote a good article on low-carb powerlifting which may interest you.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-super-strong-guy-low-carb-diet.html

Attachments

• Wendler Percentages.jpeg
    Wendler Percentages.jpeg
    27.8 KB · Views: 84
Strong bench.
Deads need to catch up.

Thanks Ace. I think that it is the other way around. Bench is weakest out of the two. Military press is my softest overall.

Tonights meal:

2 beef rissoles, 100g silverbeet, 100g shallots, 100g brown mushrooms, 50g butter, 30g duck fat, 150g cheese, 160g sour cream.

11.1 carbs, 5.3 fiber, protein 102.75, fat 239.7g

Attachments

• Meal 31 - 29.8.13 - 4.jpeg
    Meal 31 - 29.8.13 - 4.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Meal 31 - 29.8.13 - Duck fat.jpeg
    Meal 31 - 29.8.13 - Duck fat.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Meal 31 - 29.8.13 - Ratios.jpeg
    Meal 31 - 29.8.13 - Ratios.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 82
2600 calories for 1 meal.
do you get sleepy after that?
Do you think that's enough protein intake for muscle growth?

Yes I do get sleepy after eating meals like above. I'm in bed by 9 most nights though.... I'm a morning person.

It's not all related to the nutritional content of the meal though. Heavy resistance training, fasted, puts your body under a lot of stress. Fatigue afterward is expected.

Do I think that the above ratios were optimal for muscle growth?
I'm not sure. The aim of the game here is fat loss and for this goal, these ratios have been proven.

For muscle growth, carb backloading is what you want to try.

That's a lot of fat......and not so much protein.
What's your daily total look like?

How's body composition progress going?

Is the duck fat tasty?

I slowly getting leaner. It's hard to say whether this diet has had a detrimental effect on my lifts. I am making no progress on my bench/squats and will probably continue at the same weights for the next 4 week program. As for body composition, I've just discovered that I need to increase the fat and decrease the protein contained in my meals. Some mornings I'm lean, others I'm not. I attribute this to fluid retention and excess protein which has been converted to carbs. I'm looking forward to another month of this.

The duck fat was lovely. I'm hooked.

Last edited:
Some friends and I are using Kiefer's Carb-Nite Solution for 1 month.

This thread is to document changes to our physiques because of the diet.

I dont need to lose much weight but am doing the diet to support my friends.

Meals have consisted of:

2 x - 5 bacon rashers, 3 eggs, 1/4 block of cheese, 1/4 stick of butter, 3/4 kilo of spinach.

2 - Turkey mince, mushies, 1/2 capsicum, baby spinach, 2 types of cheese and 1/2 an avocado.

Lots of fat. Zero carbs. Mmmmmm.

How did you all go?

Hey Ace.

We are all meeting toward the end of the week for a weigh in.

I have finally got my dinners sorted - Fat to Protein ratios >2 times.

I have attached todays nutritional info. "Get back to you shortly".

Attachments

• Meal 35 - Ratios - 2.9.13.jpeg
    Meal 35 - Ratios - 2.9.13.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 73
Do you believe 80g/day of protein is enough to promote/maintain muscle mass while performing intense weight training?

Seems extremely low.

Would have been good if you got a dexa scan for body composition.
I can't see any way you will not lose muscle mass on just 80g protein/day.

Fibre is consistently too low.

Do you believe 80g/day of protein is enough to promote/maintain muscle mass while performing intense weight training?

Seems extremely low.

Would have been good if you got a dexa scan for body composition.
I can't see any way you will not lose muscle mass on just 80g protein/day.

Fibre is consistently too low.

"80g a day enough to maintain muscle mass" - I think so. The diet has been designed to lose fat only. The weigh-in will reveal all.

I dont blame you for being skeptical. I was at first too. For 6 or so years of my life I tried to eat 200+'my age' grams of protein daily.

"Fibre is consistently too low" - You may find this article interesting.

"80g a day enough to maintain muscle mass" - I think so. The diet has been designed to lose fat only. The weigh-in will reveal all.

I dont blame you for being skeptical. I was at first too. For 6 or so years of my life I tried to eat 200+'my age' grams of protein daily.

And what happened during that 6 years?
Were you really putting an intense effort into your training?
If you were, I'd expect you to be doing triple BW deads by now.
Most trainees would be able to do triple BW after a couple of years effort.
Unless you haven't been training deads consistently during that time.
And even if you were taking in 220-230 protein per day, were your carbs and fats also high enough so support gains?

I still think 80g/day is crazy low.
But if it works for you then why not.
Why not play it safe and take in a little more?

A Ketogenic diet has been around since the 1920's. Hardly a fad.

I was going to mention much the same when I saw that the type of diet has a new name again. I think I rolled my eyes. I used to read of cyclic carb and protein diets yonks ago in old hand me down gym mags. Old principles with small twists and new names.

Good on you for having a go and if having a fit healthy looking physique is you goal. You've achieved it.

And what happened during that 6 years?
I bulked to 91.5 kg.

Were you really putting an intense effort into your training?
Yes I was. I had the intense effort, but, not the knowledge. I was young and inexperienced. I never once deadlifted nor worked my lower body.

And even if you were taking in 220-230 protein per day, were your carbs and fats also high enough so support gains?
No they werent. I ate predominantly low-carb.

I still think 80g/day is crazy low. But if it works for you then why not. Why not play it safe and take in a little more?

Because my aim is to study the effects on my body resulting from the Carb-nite solution.

Cheers Risky.

Wait until he gets the bill :)

Gold.

Hi guys. We all weighed-in yesterday.

I have attached our weights.

The comment can be made that #3 did not adhere to the diet very strictly.
He runs regularly to make up for his diet misgivings. Good in theory - BUT this makes things even worse as running or any high intensity exercise is not allowed in this diet. Too much cortisol released.

#2 ate predominantly low carb. His 38 nights included a short trip to Melbourne. Despite not losing any weight, he says that he has become significantly leaner. Photos tomorrow. We will see.

I gained 5.5 kg of muscle on the diet. I also believe that I lost bodyfat.

I aim to continue this diet until the end of the month. I have only had my fat/protein meal ratios consistently >2 since the 2/9.

My body stats are attached. I will measure #2 & #3 tomorrow morning.

The 2nd & 3rd body pic from the collage were taken yesterday. 2 in the morning, 3 in the afternoon before my carb feast. Less zoom & much more favourable lighting in the last pic.

Attachments

• Weights - ALL - 8.9.13.jpg
    Weights - ALL - 8.9.13.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Body Stats - #1 - 8.9.13.jpg
    Body Stats - #1 - 8.9.13.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Meal Ratios - 8.9.13.jpg
    Meal Ratios - 8.9.13.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 79
  • #1 - Body pic.jpg
    #1 - Body pic.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 121
I gained 5.5 kg of muscle on the diet. I also believe that I lost bodyfat.

You have just found the holy grail of muscle mass gain, that is an amazing result.
Are you're balls still there, or are you saying you gained a lean 5.5kg of muscle mass naturally in 1 month?
Do you realise how unbelievable this looks, muscle mass takes time.
Were you depleted when you took the before stats, muscle memory?

If not, I really look forward to seeing another month on this diet to see if you can get even a fraction of these same results.

Are you're balls still there, or are you saying you gained a lean 5.5kg of muscle mass naturally in 1 month?

Cheers Ace. Nothing used besides sour cream, ghee, duck fat, thickened cream, butter and coconut oil.

I am not sure what to attribute it to. Some considerations:
  • I have been using Wendler programs since March. For my de-load weeks, I now abstain from any exercise at all. Complete rest. I trialled this during August. I felt I grew alot, doing nothing. Prior to August's de-load I had been doing the prescribed 50% of 531 every 4 weeks. Perhaps I had overtrained myself for months.
  • I had been living in a calorie deficit for a long period of time due to paleo/low-carb/fasting.

Muscle memory - Hmm. I am not sure how it works. Maybe. I have bulked to 91.5 before. Since 2010 Ive mostly been 70-72kg.

I hope it continues also. This afternoon I checked in at 80.5, however, Carb-nite was yesterday so I cant get too excited.

The past 7 ulc nights my protein intake has averaged 97.8g and my fat intake 287.7g. Prior to the past 7 ulc nights, I had not been making fat as great a priority as now. I wonder if this will mean that my lean gain trend will deviate over the forthcoming weeks as the composition of my intake has changed.
Who knows. We'll find out in a month.

#2 has jumped off the carb-nite wagon and is now going to backload until mid October.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay guys.

I took #2's measurements the other day but forgot his arm. What I have is attached.

He has also sent me an instagram crop for his photo. I wasnt able to take it. He may have been flexing a little but its better than nothing. When he showed me the photo for the first time he said he was happy that his muffin-top had diminished. This does seem to be true. I dont think any other body change was noticeable though.

I think his measurements do not reflect the actual diet. Whilst, low carb for 6 nights per week, he wasnt as "anal" with his nutrient ratios.

He was relatively happy with his stats. His chest grew slightly whilst losing 2.8kg of bodyweight. No comment regarding the leg size decrease. As mentioned in a previous post, for the next month he will backload.

I will continue carb-nite.

We have a bottle of Lagavulin for the first to reach 90.

Last night I cracked 4.15 times Fat/Protein. Tonight I only made it through half of my meal before my hypothalamus told me that I had eaten enough.

Perhaps there is such a thing as too much fat..

Attachments

• Body Stats - #2 - 8.9.13.jpg
    Body Stats - #2 - 8.9.13.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 65
  • #2 Instagram.jpg
    #2 Instagram.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Meal 44 - Ratios - 11.9.13.jpg
    Meal 44 - Ratios - 11.9.13.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Back